Tom Hardy as Bane

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Baniac wrote:
YourLiberation123 wrote: I think. Bane's men seem to love and fear him--Machiavelli's recommendation. Bane lives and sleeps in the gutters along with his troops--tzu's reommendation. Bane speaks and carries himself like a Prince: eloquent and highly intimidating.
I wonder if Bane's "underground army" outside of his inner circle (men like Barsad) knew Bane/Talia's end game with the bomb. For someone to willingly lay down his life in a nuclear holocaust would take a real fanatic or a fiercely loyal underling. As many men as Bane had under his command, I would think many of them didn't know the real deal.

Your thoughts?
Tough question. Obvously the men Bane recruited durring his revolution didn't know the master plan, but as for the mercanaries Bane brought over with him, I'm not sure. Going by The Art Of War--which may or may not of had any influence on the character-- the general shouldn't reveal his plans to his subordinates. I think Bane had them infused with revolutionary fervor, which gave them a sense of purpose (important in military operations). His minions were infatuated with him and his pretext, and that's why they were willing to die for him or the cause. They probably looked at him like he was sent from the Heavens to give out judgement and set things right in Gotham.

YourLiberation123 wrote:
Baniac wrote:
I wonder if Bane's "underground army" outside of his inner circle (men like Barsad) knew Bane/Talia's end game with the bomb. For someone to willingly lay down his life in a nuclear holocaust would take a real fanatic or a fiercely loyal underling. As many men as Bane had under his command, I would think many of them didn't know the real deal.

Your thoughts?
Tough question. Obvously the men Bane recruited durring his revolution didn't know the master plan, but as for the mercanaries Bane brought over with him, I'm not sure. Going by The Art Of War--which may or may not of had any influence on the character-- the general shouldn't reveal his plans to his subordinates. I think Bane had them infused with revolutionary fervor, which gave them a sense of purpose (important in military operations). His minions were infatuated with him and his pretext, and that's why they were willing to die for him or the cause. They probably looked at him like he was sent from the Heavens to give out judgement and set things right in Gotham.
Very interesting observation Your Liberation..I enjoyed reading it..made me think:-) Im thinking that Bane probably had three separate groups helping him to an extent...common level thugs..who choose to follow him out of fear and do not know of Talia and Bane's end plan....they are probably used by Bane to cause a ruckus with the GPD so that the GPD can have more stress added to them on top of trying to figure out how to contain him...(Bane.) They are also probably used to cause rebellions in prisons, as well ( like BlackGate), gangs and other crime syndicates which is another thing to keep them( GPD) busy.

Middle level guys who probably are made up of ex military people and maybe various persons Bane has met throughout his travels. ( We do know he traveled extensively) These men probably have a mixture of love, fear and adoration for him. These people are probably a wide array of people ranging from the 'fanatic' on the plane who chose to give his life to the various people in the lairs of the sewer with him..like the man who brought him Gordon. I don't believe these people knew about the 'plan' either. I think the guy who gave his life on the plane was a blind follower. And Hardy's made a comment about how Bane would have the intellect and the persuasion to really make people believe and to follow him blindly..who knows what story that man in the plane was told, but it was enough to make him believe in giving his life for Bane's cause.

The third group I think is highly selective by Bane. And the only person I think that is actually in this group is Barsard and Talia. I do not know if Basard knew the end plan or not. I think he might have. Which brings up interesting questions that just popped up in my mind which are:

Did Basard 'LOVE' Bane or 'FEAR" him? Thoughts??

Speaking of Basard.. I guess he would be considered Bane's second? correct?...I wonder if Basard was in charge of his own group of men, but only took direct orders from Bane himself..? hmmmm

Bane calls himself the LOS...is it possible that when he was excommunicated there was a break in the LOS with Ras? maybe there were some members that started to believe that Bane would be a more worthier leader and chose to be excommunicated with him? That would explain his well trained army if they are all members of the LOS. If not, it makes me wonder if the people he did have, he trained himself? or perhaps they are all men with various military backgrounds...

Also, I have been wondering if various quotes by Bane are from classic and military literature.. I have looked all over to see if "Let's not stand on ceremony here.." was used in any other novel.....

Queen of Hearts wrote: I think the guy who gave his life on the plane was a blind follower. And Hardy's made a comment about how Bane would have the intellect and the persuasion to really make people believe and to follow him blindly..who knows what story that man in the plane was told, but it was enough to make him believe in giving his life for Bane's cause.
All we have to do is look back in history to Hitler's era. We modern-era folks scratch our head and wonder how an entire nation--an intelligent, industrious nation--like Germany could completely buy into Hitler's rule. We think, "Oh, that could never happen today," but history has taught us that such things can and do happen over and over again throughout the world. Bane's Blackgate speech really made me think about Hitler and other charismatic figures who led revolutions, etc. Bane has that same charisma, the kind that turns previously law-abiding men into murderous followers. He makes the individuals become "us" and "we" instead of just "I." Like with the minion willing to die--with a smile even--in the wreckage of the plane just because Bane told him it was necessary. And Bane adds the word "brother" to the end of his directive, which no doubt encouraged that doomed man's smile and resolve to martyr himself for "the plan" and his "brothers."
Queen of Hearts wrote: I do not know if Basard knew the end plan or not. I think he might have. Which brings up interesting questions that just popped up in my mind which are:

Did Basard 'LOVE' Bane or 'FEAR" him? Thoughts??

Speaking of Basard.. I guess he would be considered Bane's second? correct?...I wonder if Basard was in charge of his own group of men, but only took direct orders from Bane himself..? hmmmm
In the novelization it talks about how Bane saved Barsad's life multiple times, so of course Barsad was extremely loyal (unto death, as we saw). I think he had a healthy fear of Bane (who wouldn't?), but I think he was more so driven by respect, duty, honor, and the brotherhood shared by all men who have experienced combat together. I don't see Barsad as being cut from the same mold as the martyr on the plane. Barsad wasn't there out of blind faith to a charismatic leader; he was there as a soldier, a second-in-command, a man who knew and understood the plan and believed in the mission wholeheartedly because Bane believed wholeheartedly.
Queen of Hearts wrote: Bane calls himself the LOS...is it possible that when he was excommunicated there was a break in the LOS with Ras? maybe there were some members that started to believe that Bane would be a more worthier leader and chose to be excommunicated with him? That would explain his well trained army if they are all members of the LOS. If not, it makes me wonder if the people he did have, he trained himself? or perhaps they are all men with various military backgrounds...
It would appear that Bane was a member of the LoS before Bruce. We saw in "Batman Begins" that Bruce basically takes everyone out at the training hideaway except Ra's. We don't know if there were other cells around the world or not. From Bane's comment of "I AM the League of Shadows," I get the impression that the League ceased to exist after Ra's death, but I could be wrong.

Queen of Hearts wrote: Also, I have been wondering if various quotes by Bane are from classic and military literature.. I have looked all over to see if "Let's not stand on ceremony here.." was used in any other novel.....
That phrase is not uncommon, though it is archaic today. Nothing military or classic necessarily. More like a common phrase among the more educated years ago.

Baniac wrote:
Queen of Hearts wrote:In the novelization it talks about how Bane saved Barsad's life multiple times, so of course Barsad was extremely loyal (unto death, as we saw). I think he had a healthy fear of Bane (who wouldn't?), but I think he was more so driven by respect, duty, honor, and the brotherhood shared by all men who have experienced combat together. I don't see Barsad as being cut from the same mold as the martyr on the plane. Barsad wasn't there out of blind faith to a charismatic leader; he was there as a soldier, a second-in-command, a man who knew and understood the plan and believed in the mission wholeheartedly because Bane believed wholeheartedly.
I'd love to see the bond between Bane and Barsad being established throughout a movie relating Bane's origins. But hey, you can always dream. :twothumbsup:

Baniac wrote:
Queen of Hearts wrote: Bane calls himself the LOS...is it possible that when he was excommunicated there was a break in the LOS with Ras? maybe there were some members that started to believe that Bane would be a more worthier leader and chose to be excommunicated with him? That would explain his well trained army if they are all members of the LOS. If not, it makes me wonder if the people he did have, he trained himself? or perhaps they are all men with various military backgrounds...
It would appear that Bane was a member of the LoS before Bruce. We saw in "Batman Begins" that Bruce basically takes everyone out at the training hideaway except Ra's. We don't know if there were other cells around the world or not. From Bane's comment of "I AM the League of Shadows," I get the impression that the League ceased to exist after Ra's death, but I could be wrong.
The same guys in merc clothes that were at the monastery in Begins show up later at Wayne Manor with Ra's dressed in suits. There's plenty of League members around, I doubt Bruce got too many killed there. Obvious these guys filled Talia in about what happened which is why she called Batman a murderer. What's not clear is whether it was Ra's that filled her in that Bruce Wayne betrayed the League and was Batman or Ra's' men after his death. Either way she provided continuity in the organization as a member of the League and the heir apparent despite the Bane disagreement.

There's stuff in the movie that was cut that was in the novel so I can't treat it as canon, as well as quite a few additions. I'm thinking now it wasn't IMAX limitations that cause Nolan to de-emphasize Bane in the movie over the published script in the trilogy screenplay book (which the novel is based on), but a purely creative decision.

This is from a review of Tom's last 6 film roles - this freelancer (a male) ) puts Bane at #2. Love what he says about Hardy's charisma. I honestly think that if anyone else had played Bane there would not be over 800 pages on this thread. It takes more than great acting talent to create a memorable character, you need to have bucket loads of charisma, a.k.a. screen presence. Tom has that special gift and it just oozes from every pore. A lot of team work went into making Bane such a formidable and terrifying villain, but Tom Hardy brought something very special to the table. Also, the effort and dedication he put into preparing his body for the role should never be underestimated, not to mention the health risks involved. Deliberately changing your body weight (up or down) is extremely difficult and can cause weight issues as you age.

And now for the most popular character on the list and the one I almost put as number 1. I’ll admit it, I’m not a Batman fan. I never have been and never will be. I am, however, a fan of the films that Christopher Nolan made that happened to be about Batman. In the final installment in the trilogy, they needed a villain that could be more threatening than Heath Ledger’s Joker and they found him.

Bane wasn’t scary, he was terrifying – there’s a huge difference, believe me. Nothing else could be a bigger compliment. The whole climax of the film with Bane’s capture of Gotham felt dangerously close to the grim nature of reality. He was showcased as an actual terrorist who could have technically pulled off what he pulled off in the real world. The effect of his character was grand; it was theatrical, it was glorious, and it was everything a successful supervillain needed. Many say he was trivialized by Talia’s introduction – I was one of those people before – but he couldn’t have been trivialized if he wasn’t effective in the first place.

Let’s talk about Tom Hardy though. He was brilliant. I wasn’t sure if that “distinguished” voice would work, but as the film went on, it only worked to enhance what the role required. Hardy had just the right amount of drama in his voice work; enough to give him “star quality” if you will, but also controlled enough to prevent him from being a joke. His voice aside, Hardy just standing there in the sewer spewed charisma; don’t get me started on his desperate punches in the final fistfight with Batman – they were breathtaking. It was obvious Hardy took this role seriously, which is different from anything else he’s done. He is still misunderstood, somewhat slick, a complete loner, and a crippling softy due to his love for Talia, but man this was in another league. Bravo Tom Hardy, you show them who the shadows belong to!

http://whatculture.com/film/tom-hardy-r ... oles.php/6

Tom was certainly one of the best parts of the movie. He and Bane are certainly some of the elements I have the least amount of complaints about, that's for sure...

:oldmanface:

MagnarTheGreat wrote: I'm thinking now it wasn't IMAX limitations that cause Nolan to de-emphasize Bane in the movie over the published script in the trilogy screenplay book (which the novel is based on), but a purely creative decision.
I'm curious what you mean...how did IMAX impose limitations in regards to how Bane was portrayed/filmed?

PillowLips: thanks for sharing that link. Yep, that man OOOOOZES charisma. :twothumbsup: :clap:

Baniac wrote:
MagnarTheGreat wrote: I'm thinking now it wasn't IMAX limitations that cause Nolan to de-emphasize Bane in the movie over the published script in the trilogy screenplay book (which the novel is based on), but a purely creative decision.
I'm curious what you mean...how did IMAX impose limitations in regards to how Bane was portrayed/filmed?

PillowLips: thanks for sharing that link. Yep, that man OOOOOZES charisma. :twothumbsup: :clap:
Not IMAX themselves, but the running time limit of an IMAX reel.

Wanted to post this really quick ( sorry to change the subject) ...can anybody make out what he has on that board back there? the background of the board is red..lower left hand corner....are those clippings of some sort? I just happened to notice it..I wonder what they are? thoughts? I cant really tell from this pic..but wondered if anybody knew or could make it out...( Assuming you can get past looking at Bane..er..Tom Hardy..I know it was hard for me too ;-)