No Joker for Batman 3

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
bLaZe wrote:No surprises here. I knew Nolan would eventually say "no", in both respect and because you won't find anyone else to match up to Heath's standards as The Joker.
it's not hard to match up heath's performance as the joker. there are several actors, who could do it the same way or even better. I'm also pretty sure that we would have seen a different joke this time. you cant play the same cards again. the problem is that no actor would do it, it's about respect.

Christopher Nolan wrote:
bLaZe wrote:No surprises here. I knew Nolan would eventually say "no", in both respect and because you won't find anyone else to match up to Heath's standards as The Joker.
it's not hard to match up heath's performance as the joker. there are several actors, who could do it the same way or even better. I'm also pretty sure that we would have seen a different joke this time. you cant play the same cards again. the problem is that no actor would do it, it's about respect.
Yeah, I meant that there are others actors who could pull it off, but not in the same style as Heath. I admire Nolan for not trying to re-cast The Joker like any other Hollywood director would've done.

Christopher Nolan wrote:
Eck you wrong. Just check what J. Nolan said, "Everybody was saying "what is Heath Ledger doing with the character, his movements, his eyes, his voice."

http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Dark-Knight,-The.html

After reading the script, there's a heck a lot he added by himself and obviously things that were in the script, let's see one of most epic scene, "why so serious"
GAMBOL
So. Dead you get five hundred-
Behind Gambol, the Joker SITS UP- THRUSTS knives into the
bodyguards' chests. Gambol spins to see a crazy grin on the
Joker's spit-dribbled face-

THE JOKER
How about alive?
The Joker gets a switchblade in Gambol's mouth- SHARP METAL
PULLING THE CHEEK TAUT. The Bounty Hunters subdue the
remaining bodyguards.

THE JOKER
Wanna know how I got these scars? My
father was a drinker and a fiend.
He'd beat mommy right in front of me.
One night he goes off crazier than
usual, mommy gets the kitchen knife
to defend herself. He doesn't like
that. Not. One. Bit.
The Joker TUGS Gambols cheek with the blade.

THE JOKER
So, me watching, he takes the knife
to her, laughing while he does it.
Turns to me and says 'why so
serious?' Comes at me with the knife-
'why so serious?' Sticks the blade
in my mouth- 'Let's put a smile on
that face' and...
The Joker looks up at the ASHEN FACES of the remaining Body
Guards. Smiles.

THE JOKER
Why so serious?
The Joker FLICKS his wrist- the Body Guards flinch as Gambol
goes down. The Joker turns to them.

THE JOKER
Now, our organization is small, but
we've got a lot of potential for
aggressive expansion... so which of
you fine gentlemen would like to join
our team?
The three bodyguards all nod. The Joker SNAPS a pool cue.

THE JOKER
Only one slot open right now- so
we're going to have try-outs.
The Joker drops the broken cue in the middle of the men.

THE JOKER
Make it fast.
The men stare at each other. Then at the jagged pool cue.
as you can see the only thing that was in the script was the joker looking at the bodyguards, nothing of playing with pool cue with his hand, or rolling his eyes around or showing his tongue, etc. I read the whole script weeks ago.

Please make sure you check the script as you see the scene.

This is awesome, I knew Ledger's death and performance meant more than anything to Chris. So, glad he knows it is wrong to recast for the shits and giggles...

I'm not surprised, it's the best move he can make regarding the matter.

Alterno wrote:
as you can see the only thing that was in the script was the joker looking at the bodyguards, nothing of playing with pool cue with his hand, or rolling his eyes around or showing his tongue, etc. I read the whole script weeks ago.

Please make sure you check the script as you see the scene.
that's nothing new. often actors transport something into the character. still doesnt change the fact, that a other actor could have achieved the same thing. the director gives you some space and if your style suits his vision, he will play ball with you..

I think what people are trying to explain to you is that nobody would be able to produce what Heath did because they are not Heath. That's not being high-handed and trying to make out there's nobody who could do as good a job, but simply pointing out the facts. Somebody could do an imitation but that is all it would be: an imitation. Hell, we can all go on YouTube and see that for free if we want.

And as an aside, I don't what on earth is so 'easy' about speaking an accent that is not ones own, speaking in a voice pitch that is not ones own, along with all the other ticks and quirks of the performance. In fact Eric Roberts on an interview mentioned how, when he told Heath how good he was, Heath said something along the lines of "really? It's hard."

Bueller wrote:I think what people are trying to explain to you is that nobody would be able to produce what Heath did because they are not Heath. That's not being high-handed and trying to make out there's nobody who could do as good a job, but simply pointing out the facts. Somebody could do an imitation but that is all it would be: an imitation. Hell, we can all go on YouTube and see that for free if we want.
and i tell you that a other good actor would have produced at least 80% of ledger's joker. i agree that ledger brought some own stuff into the game, which made his performance of the joker unique....

and i tell you that a other good actor would have produced at least 80% of ledger's joker. i agree that ledger brought some own stuff into the game, which made his performance of the joker unique....
We're on the same page then. :thumbup:

However, I think the list of actor's who could as well is a relatively small one, but it is all a moot point now anyway.

The thing is...Heath's Joker is my Joker right now, and no matter how good some other actors would be, I like him this way and I like his last scene in TDK so...It's ok, No Joker? No problem. I wouldn't mind occasional reference in Batman 3 though, maybe even that last scene with ''Joker has escaped Arkham'' line ;)