Which role/part of this movie making deserves an OSCAR?

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Oscars are about politics, about who is friend with who, about "I scratch your back, you scratch mine".

Even though they manage to get some thing right (I should hope so cos' it's their fucking job) they still manage to get a lot wrong and the reason is not a matter of opinion it's a matter of ego. You have to kiss oscar voters asses. I'm glad some don't demean themselves to get a statue.

kthevs wrote:
Neizar wrote: I understand what you're trying to say, but believe it or not it's all about business and industry. That's all what Academy Awards is really about. That's my opinion over decades.. and Uhh, I don't think just because there are bunch of schmuck in their old ages who went to film schools that means that they know a lot (and better) than any of us or anyone else.
That has nothing to do with it. Most of them didn't go to film school. The thing is, most of the voters are people who have experienced success in Hollywood. They know the craft because they've lived it and done it. They know it far better than most people, just like ex players and coaches know their respective sports far better than someone who just sits on a couch and watches sports. It's easy for someone to pretend to be an expert on things like acting and directing, but most "Ordinary" people don't know squat about either of those things. If the Oscars were voted on by random people rather than academy members, you would see movies like Twilight and Transformers winning best picture. The smaller films would never even get any attention.
Agreed with most of that but that "knowing the craft thing" obviously means that their judgment is somehow prejudiced.

Mahiya_Borden wrote:Oscars are about politics, about who is friend with who, about "I scratch your back, you scratch mine".

Even though they manage to get some thing right (I should hope so cos' it's their fucking job) they still manage to get a lot wrong and the reason is not a matter of opinion it's a matter of ego. You have to kiss oscar voters asses. I'm glad some don't demean themselves to get a statue.
You, girl, deserve a pile of medals.

Neizar wrote:
Mahiya_Borden wrote:Oscars are about politics, about who is friend with who, about "I scratch your back, you scratch mine".

;)
Makes me sad though not to see true talent recognized. I always wondered how any "oscarised" director feel knowing Kubrick and Hitchcock never got one.

Mahiya_Borden wrote:
Neizar wrote:
;)
Makes me sad though not to see true talent recognized. I always wondered how any "oscarised" director feel knowing Kubrick and Hitchcock never got one.
Yeah, but for me.. after a while I made the rule that true talents in cinema "usually" don't get OSCARS. My big influences "Malick" & "Nolan" and "Scott" ever didn't get OSCARS.

Neizar wrote:
Mahiya_Borden wrote:
;)
Yeah, but for me.. after a while I made the rule that true talents in cinema "usually" don't get OSCARS. My big influences "Malick" & "Nolan" and "Scott" ever didn't get OSCARS.
Malick doesn't make any appearance. Nolan is too serious and Scott well... he's a great director but not very likeable.

3 talented directors judged and snubbed because of their personalities not their work.

Mahiya_Borden wrote:
Neizar wrote:
Malick doesn't make any appearance. Nolan is too serious and Scott well... he's a great director but not very likeable.

3 talented directors judged and snubbed because of their personalities not their work.
EXACTLY! That's what I was talking about. OSCARS is about your fame & connections level not your work level.

-Picture
-Director
-Cinematography
-Editing
-Sound Mixing
-Sound Editing
-Visual Effects
-Original Score

It's your opinion that they get stuff wrong. As for the politics stuff, Sean Penn and Monique winning disproves that. Both refused to campaign, which caused quite a stir, yet they still won. That whole "Politics" stuff is outdated. Same thing with Jean Dujardain last year. He refused to go to pretty much every event that featured a chance to hobnob wiht Oscar voters. No one even cares about campaigning anymore. The Oscars have changed a lot in the last ten years. Now they're even starting to nominate openly slapstick and comedic performances- RDJ In Tropic Thunder. McCarthy in Bridesmaids.

And yet, I cringe anytime someone pulls the "Well, the movie or actor I wanted to win didn't win, so that must mean that the Oscars suck and are all about politics" gimmick.

The days of Hitchcock were all about politics, which is why he didn't win one. It's very different now. Things have changed for the better. More unknowns getting attention, etc. As for Nolan, he'll win won eventually. Probably more than one. As for Malick, good for you if you like him. A lot of people don't. His movies are too rambling, and as Christopher Plummer pointed out, he wastes the time of most of his actors. He ends up deleting 90% of their work in his movies. While you don't have to campaign anymore, you can't alienate he actors either.

But still, this belief that the award show isn't what it should be just because the people you like haven't won an Oscar, that's jst childish. That's like saying that because your favorite team didn't win the Superbowl, that must mean that the NFL is broken and needs to be fixed.

There are hundreds of different opinions about it every year. Everyone thinks that their opinion is correct, and that the Oscar voters should agree with their opinion. Hell, I just read a comment on an Yahoo article about John Hawkes where someone said that Hawkes should have beaten Bale for the Oscar.
Last edited by kthevs on October 23rd, 2012, 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neizar wrote:
Mahiya_Borden wrote:

EXACTLY! That's what I was talking about. OSCARS is about your fame & connections level not your work level.
Simply incorrect. If that was the case, we wouldn't see so many smaller movies and unknown actors getting nominated every year. Fifteen years ago maybe. But not now. Sean Penn. Monique. Dujardian. Those are three examples of people who openly refused to campaign for an Oscar, and yet still won. And if we get into nominations for people who were notoriously against campaigning- I could be here all day.