Overbloated? [Spoilers]

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
The third movie curse. We all hear about it. It's the problem directors face when they have to follow up two movies with a sequel and manage to keep the audience emotionally invested and interested. It's not easy to do.

Most feel they need to up the ante with a bigger story, bigger budget, more characters, bigger set pieces, longer, louder, etc.

This is the impression Knight Rises left we with. It suffers the same issues other '3rd' movies had, particurally Spider-man 3. There are just way too many characters and different story threads going on in the movie .

Mind you, this is based off my initial viewing, I'm going to see it again, but considering this is one of the major complaints among negative reviews, it's probably worth discussing anyway.

So lets discuss:

What are your feelings on the all the different story threads / characters / arcs happening in the movie and how it was written and put together?

Was Catwoman necessary in this film? To me she did not feel integregal to the movie or Batman's arc. She could have been easily written out of the movie, which would cut down on the bloat and allowed more time to develop Bruce's arc, Bane, and the other characters as well.

Was the LOS angle necessary? I felt this this plot line was uncessary and a lame way to try to bring the story 'full circle.' It also dumbed down Bane as a character.

What the movie should have been (IMO) :

Bane is the arch villian, no LOS angle. He's a terrorist working on his own accord.

Leave Catwoman out of the film . Keep Bruce's story / arc the same. Keep Blake, Gordon and the rest of the story the same.

Now you have much cleaner, less bloated movie, with more time to develop your characters and keep your audience emotionally invested.

Catwoman's role is crucial to the plot

Pedal faster.

cassm wrote:Catwoman's role is crucial to the plot
Lest Batman
get his fucking head blown off with a shotgun
, among other things.

stanley wrote:The third movie curse. We all hear about it. It's the problem directors face when they have to follow up two movies with a sequel and manage to keep the audience emotionally invested and interested. It's not easy to do.

Most feel they need to up the ante with a bigger story, bigger budget, more characters, bigger set pieces, longer, louder, etc.

This is the impression Knight Rises left we with. It suffers the same issues other '3rd' movies had, particurally Spider-man 3. There are just way too many characters and different story threads going on in the movie .

Mind you, this is based off my initial viewing, I'm going to see it again, but considering this is one of the major complaints among negative reviews, it's probably worth discussing anyway.

So lets discuss:

What are your feelings on the all the different story threads / characters / arcs happening in the movie and how it was written and put together?

Was Catwoman necessary in this film? To me she did not feel integregal to the movie or Batman's arc. She could have been easily written out of the movie, which would cut down on the bloat and allowed more time to develop Bruce's arc, Bane, and the other characters as well.

Was the LOS angle necessary? I felt this this plot line was uncessary and a lame way to try to bring the story 'full circle.' It also dumbed down Bane as a character.

What the movie should have been (IMO) :

Bane is the arch villian, no LOS angle. He's a terrorist working on his own accord.

Leave Catwoman out of the film . Keep Bruce's story / arc the same. Keep Blake, Gordon and the rest of the story the same.

Now you have much cleaner, less bloated movie, with more time to develop your characters and keep your audience emotionally invested.
Leave

The way it was written, yes, my point is they could have easily written her out and the movie would not have suffered for it.

stanley wrote:
The way it was written, yes, my point is they could have easily written her out and the movie would not have suffered for it.
But then it would have been a total sausage fest :lol:

stanley wrote:
Um. Did you even watch the same film as me? You take her out and the ending is fucked.

apw
No.

Based4Life wrote:
stanley wrote:
Um. Did you even watch the same film as me? You take her out and the ending is fucked.
How so? Like I said, obviously the story would have to be rewritten a bit but my point is she's not intregral to what the story is trying to accomplish with Bruce's arc / journey. Are you saying Bruce needed a love interest in the end and she fit the bill? I'm sure they could have done that without adding Catwoman and her story line to the movie.