NF Reviews/Reactions Only

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
Just seen it for the first time. Can't give a thorough review now, still under the influence of the film ;)

Of course I was hugely entertained, the 164 minutes passed by in a second. Unfortunately I got the feeling this is rather a WB movie than a Nolan movie, since I believe Nolan wouldn't have made some decisions:
- Referencing Robin
- Just blowing Bane away like some stupid 80's villain
- Not killing anyone of importance like Rachel in TDK
I liked the fight scenes but expected them to be longer (especially the last one) and wasn't as amazed as I was in The Bourne Ultimatum (for example).

Probably I watch it again tomorrow.

noland wrote:
Robbman wrote:Couple of new thoughts in reflecting on the movie.

Alfred - I read Harry Knowles' review over at AICN, and I think he's off base on a lot of it, but one thing I thought he was off base about was Alfred, simply because his entire review seemed predicated on his knowledge of the characters through the comics, not the characters that Nolan has put in place in his version of the Batman mythos. And while I think this is largely the case, I have changed my mind on Alfred leaving, and agree with Harry on it... but I still don't have anywhere near the same problems with it that he did. I originally thought, this is what Nolan's Alfred would do. But then it occurred to me what he said to Bruce in Batman Begins.

Bruce "Haven't given up on me yet"

Alfred "Never"

Him walking out in TDKR violates that, and his level of commitment.

This can be easily explained, but I think it really was a mistake to not flesh out within the story that in leaving, he wasn't giving up on him.. he was making a statement and hoping to pull him out of his state of mind. It was a last ditch effort after trying everything else he knew to do. It absolutely comes across that Alfred is giving up on Bruce. Another angle is how forgone it had gotten for Alfred and he had no choice for his own mental well-being and he had to give up, but again.. I don't think they fleshed that idea out either.

Cillian Murphy - Again, this was an absolute standout moment in the movie, and he plays it so deliciously. How awesome would it have been to see Heath Ledger as the Judge? I would've loved to have seen that, and it seemed like a perfect place to put that character. Makes you wonder about the filmmaker's original intentions.
i don't get it, Robbman, in the film Alfred explicity states that he is leaving not because he is giving up on Bruce but because he hopes that in so doing it will help Bruce realize that he needs to move on with his life. I guess you were looking for something else in addition to that?

Harry Knowles review is garbage. I don't usually get to worked up about other people's opinions but it's really annoying in Harry's case just because he likes so many bad movies and will give so many under-achieving geek projects a pass but then it comes to an exceptionally made film like TDKR that doesn't perfectly conform to his ideas of what Batman should be, and he outright pans it.
I didn't recall that. I'll have to get back to you after a second viewing... but I thought I was paying attention pretty closely, and that didn't stick out. Again, I'm not saying Alfred needed to word an explanation exactly, but his behavior in the film surrounding those events seemed contrary to his stance in the past. I don't have a problem with that, but feel it needs a strong explanation for the shift. We all shift our views on what is best, but a passing statement may not be enough. I'll have to reevaluate. Thanks for the input.. I'll be on the lookout when I hit the theater next.

As for Harry, I just think he's not a fan of Nolan's directorial style, and that's become evident over time. He liked BB, seemed to love TDK, wasn't big on Inception and hates TDKR. I don't think he's impartial in his reviews though, but that's not something he denies either. I also think that he likes his comic book movies as straight up adaptations that are very faithful to the source material. His take on Nolan seems to be that he is good with technicality, and short on emotion. I have to disagree. I found Inception to be his most emotional undertaking to date, and TDKR was certainly the most emotional film of the Batman trilogy, and TDK wasn't short on emotion for me either.

Ailton wrote:Just seen it for the first time. Can't give a thorough review now, still under the influence of the film ;)

Of course I was hugely entertained, the 164 minutes passed by in a second. Unfortunately I got the feeling this is rather a WB movie than a Nolan movie, since I believe Nolan wouldn't have made some decisions:
- Referencing Robin
- Just blowing Bane away like some stupid 80's villain
- Not killing anyone of importance like Rachel in TDK
I liked the fight scenes but expected them to be longer (especially the last one) and wasn't as amazed as I was in The Bourne Ultimatum (for example).

Probably I watch it again tomorrow.
I think Nolan didn't comply with any directives from WB (assuming he actually got any from them) unless he wanted to anyway. After TDK and Inception, I feel confident that they put their trust in him and let him do what he wanted.

Robbman wrote:I think Nolan didn't comply with any directives from WB (assuming he actually got any from them) unless he wanted to anyway. After TDK and Inception, I feel confident that they put their trust in him and let him do what he wanted.
Agree. Nolan did exactly what he wanted to do with TDKR.
I really don't understand some of the complaints, for example Bane's defeat. It was handled expertly and achieved the following:

[*]Batman physically bests Bane after earlier being broken.
[*]Victory is snatched away from him with Talia's betrayal. This is the only way Bane is able to gain the upper hand again.
[*]Selina Kyle save's Batman from imminent death, rewarding his faith in her.

jm9843 wrote:
Robbman wrote:I think Nolan didn't comply with any directives from WB (assuming he actually got any from them) unless he wanted to anyway. After TDK and Inception, I feel confident that they put their trust in him and let him do what he wanted.
Agree. Nolan did exactly what he wanted to do with TDKR.
I really don't understand some of the complaints, for example Bane's defeat. It was handled expertly and achieved the following:

[*]Batman physically bests Bane after earlier being broken.
[*]Victory is snatched away from him with Talia's betrayal. This is the only way Bane is able to gain the upper hand again.
[*]Selina Kyle save's Batman from imminent death, rewarding his faith in her.
Nolan probably deliver the best film with the Imax limitation. He did not receive any instructions from WB because they were not coming from WB but more from the format itself.
2H45 for that kind of story? One can argue (I can) that this movie is -a kind of- a modern 3 hours long (at least) peplum. But he shortened it to get that Nolanesque density (multiples story line)

2nd viewing. Warrior is better.

RIFA wrote:2nd viewing. Warrior is better.

I love Warrior, but is that a serious comment? just curious not hating. :think:

durden_77 wrote:I love Warrior, but is that a serious comment? just curious not hating. :think:
Rifa did not really like Warrior so I do not think it is.

Allstar wrote:
durden_77 wrote:I love Warrior, but is that a serious comment? just curious not hating. :think:
Rifa did not really like Warrior so I do not think it is.
so we should probably get Based to make a huge thread about how Rifa is the biggest troll, and needs to be banned. :lol: