NF Reviews/Reactions Only

The 2012 superhero epic about Batman's struggle to overcome the terrorist leader Bane, as well as his own inner demons.
My review, no spoilers inside:

Everything that has a beginning should in essence have an end. Christopher Nolan knew this from the beginning of his epic Batman franchise, he knew by creating a symbol he would in turn have to return, complete and eventually destroy that person from the inside in order to make an ambitious point, one that exists not only in the film but within us all.

When The Dark Knight smashed its way into cinemas in 2008, film history changed, we witnessed a character deal with the damage that resulted from his actions. We witnessed a human being in a superhero. That said, a landmark was made in cinema. Now in 2012, a filmmaker proves that you can do it again and complete a trilogy that leaves one both breathless and fulfilled. The Dark Knight Rises is something of an epic success in contemporary cinema mythology.

It has been eight years since the events of The Dark Knight and Bruce Wayne (Christian Bale) has gone into complete exile to the point where even his body has lost it’s physical strength, meanwhile a beat cop Blake (Joseph Gordon Levitt) finds himself trying to fight for what is right in the much decaying Gotham city. When Commissioner Gordon is badly injured by the ruthless terrorist, known as Bane (Tom Hardy), the city itself becomes crippled from the sewers upward by his army of merceneries. Thus, Bruce Wayne must return as Batman, if not for Gotham the city - that has made him an outlaw - but for what is right, as he has always believed.

Another twist to the story is the addition of two lead female characters. The first being, Selina Kyle (Anne Hathaway), a cat burglar, who is hired by a group of corporates who aim to take over Wayne enterprises. Additionally, Nolan introduces Miranda Tate (Marion Cotillard) the woman who guides Wayne out of his financial turmoil after the company is bought out. Tate’s character is as important to this story as the villain Bane. Lastly, one cannot forget Wayne’s loyal butler Alfred Pennyworth (Michael Caine) who carries the spirit of the film and constantly reminds us of his enduring love for Bruce. Lucius Fox (Morgan Freeman) also returns in a very vital role that, coupled together with that of Alfred and Gordon’s, serve as the supportive platform that Batman needs.

With a story that is so vast in scope as well as encompasses a wide array of characters, some would think that this Nolan project would end in complete failure, but to the disappointment of his critics, he pulls through and illustrates that if you focus on a certain aspect of a character you can make that character so much more compelling to the audience rather than just an object taking up space. Such an example would be the transformation of Selina Kyle into Catwoman who becomes a powerful ally to Batman as well as the beat cop Blake whose character is a legend himself in the making.

Yet again, one cannot ignore the political core of this film, the deconstruction of American society. The interesting thing about this film is that it does not speak of an America we once knew but rather of a current America, one that is swept away in an individualist notion. What we learn from the terror created by Bane is that sometimes complete and literal freedom itself can lead to a far worse dark and immoral society than one that prides itself off something such as capitalism, a constraint in Bane’s eyes. As Nolan is an outsider, he hails from Britain, it may be a very controversial topic to address unless of course we consider his brother Jonathan , a co-writer on the film, whom has lived primarily in America from a very young age.

Politics aside, The Dark Knight Rises is a superbly written film that contains themes of hope, trust and determination. Bane’s undying will to annihilate Gotham and create a new anarchic society, Wayne’s undying will to fight for what is right and Alfred’s undying will to cloak Wayne in his care. It’s the cinematic essence of the story and the well planned structure which sees an explosive third act consumed in tension and explosive action, however, it is the way in which Nolan uses sharp editing as well as camera movement to make it more engaging and riveting than merely entertaining.

Christopher Nolan has brought together a team of masters in their craft to engineer a film that moves one in different ways. Hans Zimmer’s wondrous score which will constantly leave one uplifted and focused on glory, the sound itself tells us of the cinematic and glorious scope of Batman’s entire journey. The editing by Lee Smith - which makes scenes of action, which would otherwise be typical, stand out as intricate miniature stories in themselves - is simply terrific. Emma Thomas, to whom Nolan is married, has brought together the financing to make such a tremendous event happen when many would be reluctant to do so considering its dark and mature themes. What about the film’s cinematography? Wally Pfister returns as Nolan’s great DOP and surprises us by making day scenes fit the typically typed darkness of Batman. All in all, The Dark Knight Rises achieves and even betters itself from a traditionalist perspective crediting its use of real film in a ridiculous era of digital. Making it even more of a cinematic experience.

Needless to say, The Dark Knight Rises owes much credit to it’s auteur filmmaker Christopher Nolan, who has made a film that is both uplifting as well as a vivid reminder that there is always light even in the darkest of times. Without giving away the ending, your expectations are met and some hints are left as to what the possible future, if any, may be for this particular near perfect series of films. Perfection is the word here, as Christopher Nolan has done the best he possibly could have. In my opinion this is a perfect way to end a trilogy.

My conclusion is that whether or not this is actually better than it’s predecessors, one needs to consider that ending anything is never easy, it is too often a bittersweet occasion and that alone might take away the wonderful feeling of starting something anew. The Dark Knight Rises is a classic that will forever be remembered for showing us that you can never give up, even when up against unfathomable odds, one needs only to harness the will to continue the fight. Thank you Christopher Nolan as well as the entire crew for making a timeless motion picture!

4/5.

I like how the final act of this movie could be condensed into this.
Do you... like pineapple?

jibran wrote:I like how the final act of this movie could be condensed into this.
Full circle.

YourLiberation123 wrote:I liked the movie quite a bit, but I can't help feeling disappointed, merely because it wasn't what I had been expecting for the last year. I was expecting 'TDK 2.0', as some of you have been saying. It's more my fault than the movie's, but I still had a hard time enjoying myself on the first viewing. However, the ending was set up perfectly, IMO, and I loved everyone's performances (especially Caine's). It reminds me of the Star Wars trilogy:

BB/A New Hope=Great
TDK/The Empire= Incredible
TDKR/The Return=Pretty good
Never thought of it like the Star Wars Trilogy, but I totally agree.

Watch it yesterday at a fans premiere in Le Grand Rex in France.

Out of the cinema: I had mixed feelings. I did not know if i fully appreciate it or if fully hate it. I had, more or less, the same reaction for Inception. But, for Inception, the first time watched it, the ending was terrific and amazing!
The most important thing for this third and last Batman movie was the end. How Nolan (my favorite director) manage to close his great saga?
Just like for Inception, TDKR's ending was perfect. I cried like a girl and I stood up at the end. I don't know why... but damn it I stood up. I the same time, I was shattered because of the mixed feelings I had at that moment.

But after a while, when I went back home, I was thinking about the movie. I questionned my feelings about the movie. And when I finally hit home, I was convinced by that fact: "Nolan has done it again". This movie has Nolan's "magic trick". Density, darkness, realism and beautiful ending and the fact that you can measure or seize the whole movie the first time you've watched it. That is THE Nolan magic trick. You have to look closer and watch it again and again to understand the whole thing.

The movie is growing in my mind and my heart. Just like Inception and TDK did before.

I understand Nolan's trilogy right now. Each and every single movie of this trilogy are different. The people that are disappointed by it just wanted to watch a "TDK alternate version" (justifying their point view comparing the Joker and Bane but they are not the same vilain). But no matter what, TDKR is independant just like BB and TDK were. It's akward, maybe paradoxal. But the three movies work as standalone movie with big narratives connexions throughout them. You couldn't compare BB to TDK. And you can't compare BB, TDK and TDKR because they are simply not the same type of movie (genesis movie, gangster movie, war movie).

-I think there are few, anormal editing problems. Especially when you consider Nolan/Smith as one of the best duo out there. But It gives more thickness to the rumour of a raw cut of 4hours.^^
-Talia's death is really akward too.

the ending is maybe one ... I was about to finish this sentence saying that it is one of the best ending of Nolan's filmography but now i think of Memento, Begins, Prestige, Dark Knight, Inception... I'm not in an Inception-hype (because you can talk about Memento-hype and a prestige-hype too) but I'm trying to figure out THAT end. I mean they are many things showing you that Wayne is alive. But how do you know it's not "Alfdred fantasy"?

Bane is brutal and smart. He is Batman's dark side. (btw I've always prefered Two Face in The Dark Knight because he has more depth). Bane is a motherf**king monster of mass destruction. His master plan is somehow terrifying and realistic. I don't see anybody criticizing Hardy for his outstanding performance. As I say people are always comparing him to Ledger's Joker. You can't compare two outstanding performance that's the problem. People are ready to burn down TDKR without taking the time to analyse TDKR standalone. Plus, every single line he has are more epic (at least the same high of the well-known "why so serious?").
Miss Kyle is a big surprise. I thought she was just a sidekick adjuvant. But she's definitely more than that. she has a deep and great importance on Wayne/Batman. She's sexy, charming (that ass on the batpod is awesome) and she nailed the personnality of her role.
Tate is a great character but her death will be remember as the most awful shot from Nolan/Pfister.
Gordon brilliant as always. Just like Fox and Alfred. No reproach to those monsters who gave their best.
John Blake... what can I say??? Jo Levitt is one of the highest prospect in Hollywood and this movie shows his true potential. He's got everything (emotion, charisma, fighting sequence). I mean his performance can match an oscar nomination for best supporting actor easily. If he is the next Batman, i'll be watching him.

Let's not forget Bruce Wayne: One word! One of the best acting performance from Christian Bale (nine words actually ^^). Useless to add anything concerning his greatest performance as Batman.

Some people might say that the beginning is slow. It isn't. Three action sequences in one hour (proloque, Wall Street, first fight). Come on guys be serious. It might lack dialogues during the last one hour but I'm sure that it's somewhere in the rushes. WB certainly ask them to shorten the movie just a little bit. I won't shout at WB, or Nolan. But 10-15minutes here and there in the movie and you can get a true masterpiece! Btw, Fighting sequences are truly awesome and memorable.

General mood 24hours after: It's controversial. The movie will need few more viewings. But it grows in my mind and in my heart slowly but surely. Who can claim to make such a large scale movie and succeed in doing that is a liar. No one can except Nolan. Nolan's delivery can become a masterpiece. I wouldn't say "It might top TDK". Because this movie deserve so much more and has so much more to offer. It truly doesn't deserve to be compared to TDK.

Jus watched it today for a second time, and boy, do I recommend everyone to see it again. I like others was a bit disappointed the first time I watched it, but that was because going in I was expecting to watch a completely different movie than what was presented to me. After watching it again, and knowing what to expect from it, I realise now what a fantastic work of art this movie is. Anyone that's whining like a baby and complaining was obviously just expecting DK 2.0, but the DKR is just so much more than that. It really can stand on its own, and I really think its my favourite of the three now. Before people thnk I'm wildly defending it, I had the same reaction as many in here coming out the first time. To those people I say........WATCH IT AGAIN. Go into the movie with a different mindset. Actually, I would hate it to have been a rerun of the DK again. Anyway, essay over.

after leaving the theater I couldn't help but feel disappointed for some of the decisions Nolan made and was leaning toward an 8/10. But after giving it some thought and letting everything sink in I pretty much loved it. The characters all worked for me. The technical aspects were great. The story was complex in classic Nolan fashion and I loved how far Nolan took everything which sometimes went a little too far but I'll take ambitious decisions over typical ones any day. Because in the end we care more about what Nolan can do with a beloved character and his story than how true he can stay to a beloved character's story which is why I consider him a master story-teller. I cannot wait to see it again and again! 9/10

robboadam31 wrote:Jus watched it today for a second time, and boy, do I recommend everyone to see it again. I like others was a bit disappointed the first time I watched it, but that was because going in I was expecting to watch a completely different movie than what was presented to me. After watching it again, and knowing what to expect from it, I realise now what a fantastic work of art this movie is. Anyone that's whining like a baby and complaining was obviously just expecting DK 2.0, but the DKR is just so much more than that. It really can stand on its own, and I really think its my favourite of the three now. Before people thnk I'm wildly defending it, I had the same reaction as many in here coming out the first time. To those people I say........WATCH IT AGAIN. Go into the movie with a different mindset. Actually, I would hate it to have been a rerun of the DK again. Anyway, essay over.

I watched it twice before giving my review, and while I agree that the second viewing helps to enhance the experience (and I did like it more the second time), one thing had not changed: the editing. For you to say that those of us who were disappointed in it are only whining because "we expected TDK 2.0," that's just a simple preemptive generalization. The editing was not up to par for a Christopher Nolan film. I think some great examples have already been given thus far on the problems the movie has on the editing front so I won't reiterate that, but it's disingenuous to claim that there aren't real concerns and technical problems with the film just because you disagree or don't understand or care about the technical aspects of a film.

Skyab23 wrote:
robboadam31 wrote:Jus watched it today for a second time, and boy, do I recommend everyone to see it again. I like others was a bit disappointed the first time I watched it, but that was because going in I was expecting to watch a completely different movie than what was presented to me. After watching it again, and knowing what to expect from it, I realise now what a fantastic work of art this movie is. Anyone that's whining like a baby and complaining was obviously just expecting DK 2.0, but the DKR is just so much more than that. It really can stand on its own, and I really think its my favourite of the three now. Before people thnk I'm wildly defending it, I had the same reaction as many in here coming out the first time. To those people I say........WATCH IT AGAIN. Go into the movie with a different mindset. Actually, I would hate it to have been a rerun of the DK again. Anyway, essay over.

I watched it twice before giving my review, and while I agree that the second viewing helps to enhance the experience (and I did like it more the second time), one thing had not changed: the editing. For you to say that those of us who were disappointed in it are only whining because "we expected TDK 2.0," that's just a simple preemptive generalization. The editing was not up to par for a Christopher Nolan film. I think some great examples have already been given thus far on the problems the movie has on the editing front so I won't reiterate that, but it's disingenuous to claim that there aren't real concerns and technical problems with the film just because you disagree or don't understand or care about the technical aspects of a film.
I entirely agree. As someone who really enjoyed the film, it has serious editing issues that sell the entire story short. To be fair, I have serious problems with the way TDK is edited as well.
Aside from editing, my two main problems are as follows:

1) Bruce needed to die. The psychology of his character established in BB and reinforced in TDK pounds viewers over the head with the idea that as long as Gotham exists, Bruce must be Batman. Even at the beginning of TDKR, with Alfred's powerfully emotional set of speeches, this idea of Bruce and Batman being one is further strengthened. I feel him surviving then simply walking away from Gotham and the cowl undermines everything that came before.
2) Talia. Not only is her character wholly underdeveloped and her reveal shockingly underwhelming, she completely undermines Bane's character. Bane was so well portrayed by Hardy and so goddamn menacing on screen that I can't help but think the film would have been far more effective by completely eliminating Miranda's character.
3) The inclusion of a nuclear weapon. Editing did not help this, but I never felt the urgency I should have at the threat of the detonation of a nuclear device. I also feel that this firmly grounds the film in comic book territory, replete with inane speeches from faux presidents and powerful military generals that are more laughable than severe. Removing Talia and the nuke would have provided Bane's character with more legitimacy and allowed for further development of his character as well as Selina (and perhaps Foley) while keeping the runtime similar.
The movie was epic, ambitious and entertaining, but it could have been wholly spectacular with relatively minor tweaks.

Just so some other people realize this:
I went with someone who knew nothing of Talia or anything about the reveal. When he saw that Tate was Talia, he was shocked. He told me he had no idea. It's different for fans of the comics/followers of the marketing.