Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
^ Oh absolutely.

That moment when your mother, who’s not a sf fan at all but watched TFA, RO and now TLJ (became a family sort of tradition Day 1) says that Kylo is her favorite because he’s so complex and gives kudos to Driver’s incredible acting skills. I was so proud. :D

Naturally, father sees himself in Luke cause he’s literally a jedi.

Most important part of that interview:
I'm aware through my own experience that, first of all, the fans are so passionate, they care so deeply - sometimes they care very violently at me on Twitter. But it's because they care about these things, and it hurts when you're expecting something specific and you don't get it from something that you love. It always hurts, so I don't take it personally if a fan reacts negatively and lashes out on me on Twitter. That's fine. It's my job to be there for that. Like you said, every fan has a list of stuff they want a "Star Wars" movie to be and they don't want a "Star Wars" movie to be. You're going to find very few fans out there whose lists line up.

And I also know the same way the original movies were personal for Lucas. Lucas never made a "Star Wars" movie by sitting down and thinking, "What do the fans want to see?" And I knew if I wrote wondering what the fans would want, as tempting as that is, it wouldn't work, because people would still be shouting at me, "F--- you, you ruined 'Star Wars,'" and I would make a bad movie. And ultimately, that's the one thing nobody wants.

And let me just add that 80-90% of the reaction I've gotten from Twitter has been really lovely. There's been a lot of joy and love from fans. When I talk about the negative stuff, that's not the full picture of the fans at all.
<3

I'm aware through my own experience that, first of all, the fans are so passionate, they care so deeply - sometimes they care very violently at me on Twitter. But it's because they care about these things, and it hurts when you're expecting something specific and you don't get it from something that you love. It always hurts, so I don't take it personally if a fan reacts negatively and lashes out on me on Twitter. That's fine. It's my job to be there for that. Like you said, every fan has a list of stuff they want a "Star Wars" movie to be and they don't want a "Star Wars" movie to be. You're going to find very few fans out there whose lists line up.

And I also know the same way the original movies were personal for Lucas. Lucas never made a "Star Wars" movie by sitting down and thinking, "What do the fans want to see?" And I knew if I wrote wondering what the fans would want, as tempting as that is, it wouldn't work, because people would still be shouting at me, "F--- you, you ruined 'Star Wars,'" and I would make a bad movie. And ultimately, that's the one thing nobody wants.

And let me just add that 80-90% of the reaction I've gotten from Twitter has been really lovely. There's been a lot of joy and love from fans. When I talk about the negative stuff, that's not the full picture of the fans at all.
If it was Abrams he would have already been apologising by now. His film could have won 13 Oscars and he would have still apologised to some angry fans who didn't like it.£

^ I laughed so hard. :lol:

I don't love this movie but I love Rian Johnson. The guy is so cool.

Yea Rian Johnson is really cool and down to earth. He actually responded to DMs I sent him on twitter a while back before he was verified lol.

But what he was saying about how what each fan wants from Star Wars being different was spot on, and I'm glad he didn't try to please everybody and instead went for something more daring.

My problem is that I felt like he had his vision, set up risky moves, then ran out of ideas and decided to play it safe in the second half of the movie. And now here we are, with a very safe ending that does nothing to help build excitement for the finale. Now it's like "ok, next episode, same old shit". They could have wrote themselves into a corner like great writers do. Create a "what the FUCK is going to happen in the third movie!?" feeling. But nope. Very frustrating because there are glimpses of brilliance in TLJ. Oh well.

It is a very safe ending.
Kylo is the new supreme leader. Luke is dead. Resistance needs to rebuild from ground up. Whatever comes next probably comes after a timeskip and anything goes.
A very safe ending.

“The authenticity of our critic and user scores is very important to us and as a course of regular business, we have a team of security, network, social and database experts who closely monitor our platforms,” a spokesperson for Rotten Tomatoes told Quartz. “They haven’t seen any unusual user activity.

“For Star Wars: The Last Jedi, we have seen an uptick in people posting written user reviews, as fans are very passionate about this movie and the franchise. The number of written reviews being posted by fans is comparable to Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” the spokesperson added.
https://qz.com/1160551/the-rotten-tomat ... be-rigged/

Filmaffinity (Spain): current user score: 6.6 out of 10 (8000+ votes)
Allocine (France): current user score: 3.1 out of 5 (7000+ votes)
IMDb current user score: 7.8 out of 10
Metacritic current user score: 4.9 out of 10
Rotten Tomatoes current user score: 3.3 out of 5 (55% like)

Lots of meh/negative written reviews on those sites.

Cilogy wrote:Johnson on the film's most impressive shot:

http://www.businessinsider.com/star-war ... sh-2017-12
Johnson: [Laughs.] It was an early image that I had. I really love that slow-motion shot of Kylo and Rey back-to-back with the guards coming from all the sides in Snoke's chambers. And look, there were a lot of people whose work went into it to design the space and the guards, the stunt work, but that was a moment that I had just always held dear to me, and it's one of those very rare things where the realization of it on screen I just feel like, "Ah, we got it!" It makes me happy
Totally agree. The audience in my theater went absolute bonkers at this shot, and it just managed to turn the film to something completely different.
It was incredible imo
Also one of the most exciting battles in all of Star Wars.