NF4 Phase 1: Redesign and New Forums

Nolan Fans forum announcements and news updates are posted here. Forum rules are also posted here. Using our message boards means you understand and accept all rules.
grifball wrote:So Many Faces!
:D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :geek: :ugeek: :thumbup: :thumbdown: :angel: :blank: :clap: :crazy: :eh: :facepalm: :gonf: :judge: :oops: :problem: :P :shifty: :sick: :X :think: :twothumbsup: :wave: :wtf: :batman: :ninja:
But the best ones have been taken out :/

:cry: I want to make a post about an upcoming film

But I don't know if there's already a thread, and without a search function I have to go through all the forum pages.

Forum World Problems

darthnazgul wrote::cry: I want to make a post about an upcoming film

But I don't know if there's already a thread, and without a search function I have to go through all the forum pages.

Forum World Problems
Search using Google. That's what I've been doing even before the update.

DoubleD wrote:
darthnazgul wrote::cry: I want to make a post about an upcoming film

Forum World Problems
Search using Google. That's what I've been doing even before the update.
This. It is more effective than the forum search usually. Search a topic on google and add "site:nolanfans.com" at the end. You'll find the thread right away. There's a reason we always see the googlebot in the users list, yo.

But I'm too lazy to go to a whole other site!

Real talk though, it is a pretty minor issue, which is why I brought it up in such a comedic (as in not funny at all) fashion.

Is the poll option unavailable now? Would like to have that back sometime soon.
Pratham wrote:The forum width is 980 pixels only. Any plans to make it at least 1200 pixels wide?
This. The margins are too wide, IMHO. Kinda feel feel there is a lot of empty space on both sides. Reducing the margins on either side would be good, both for the forums and the main homepage too.

Awesome work so far, guys! :clap: :gonf:

darthnazgul wrote:But I'm too lazy to go to a whole other site!

Real talk though, it is a pretty minor issue, which is why I brought it up in such a comedic (as in not funny at all) fashion.
i've found google search is better for finding threads but forum search is better for specific quotes

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:
darthnazgul wrote:But I'm too lazy to go to a whole other site!

i've found google search is better for finding threads but forum search is better for specific quotes
I always end up using Google Search as well.

I wish I could suggest something else, but Google really is amazing at finding anything on this site, especially if you use "site:nolanfans.com" in your search query like https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... m+anything.

That's one of the reasons behind the absence of the search feature on the forums. Anything we do would be second to Google.

Was there anything particularly great about the old forum search that Google couldn't do?