The Path - A short film by Alberto Niculae

For those that have dreams of making films!

Moderator: Erik

First off, thanks again for giving me the opportunity to score this! This was easily the longest piece of music I've ever created, and I had a ton of fun doing so. :D

Looking at the film as a whole, it's actually pretty decent for a first attempt. The acting was surprisingly good, the dialogue flowed well, and the editing was relatively tight and unobtrusive.

As for the flaws, audio was the most obvious. Hissing, clipping, abrupt decibel shifts, and an entire scene where the dialogue track was panned completely to the left channel were the most prevalent offenders. Addressing the visuals, there we're a few shots that bothered me. One near the beginning had copious amounts of warp stabilizer applied, and while I'm unaware of how the original image looked, the shifting and jittering artifacts that warp stabilizer can create have never been visually appealing. A few shots were out of focus, and the cinematography overall seemed a bit rushed.

Keep at it though, and internalize the feedback that you get from this. While your next short won't be perfect, I can almost assure you that it will be a big improvement over this one. :)

Also, for anyone who is interested, I put the score up on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/tetra-films/the-path

Annihilative Anomaly wrote:First off, thanks again for giving me the opportunity to score this! This was easily the longest piece of music I've ever created, and I had a ton of fun doing so. :D

Looking at the film as a whole, it's actually pretty decent for a first attempt. The acting was surprisingly good, the dialogue flowed well, and the editing was relatively tight and unobtrusive.

As for the flaws, audio was the most obvious. Hissing, clipping, abrupt decibel shifts, and an entire scene where the dialogue track was panned completely to the left channel were the most prevalent offenders. Addressing the visuals, there we're a few shots that bothered me. One near the beginning had copious amounts of warp stabilizer applied, and while I'm unaware of how the original image looked, the shifting and jittering artifacts that warp stabilizer can create have never been visually appealing. A few shots were out of focus, and the cinematography overall seemed a bit rushed.

Keep at it though, and internalize the feedback that you get from this. While your next short won't be perfect, I can almost assure you that it will be a big improvement over this one. :)

Also, for anyone who is interested, I put the score up on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/tetra-films/the-path
And I thank you for scoring this. Your music is probably the best thing in it and it was admired by many people. The Path wouldn't have been the same without it.
Thank you for your feedback as well, it's really important. I know it's not the best short around but, like I've said, it's mostly an exercise, from which I've learned a lot. Hopefully, that will show in my next project.