Observations and interpretations about Inception

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
Inception seems to have a lot of interesting symbology. Thats going off what I've seen so far. And I think the way the film is being marketed allows a lot of room for interpretations to be made. Here are just two of the things I have interpreted:

The maze-like logo for Inception, and how it links into the viral marketing is interesting to note. The way the word 'Inception' is made up from a 'maze of cities' at the end of both of the trailers, and then in the later poster - and on the offical Inception website - the way it is made into the actual city, reflects the viral marketing pretty well. In Stage 1 of the viral marketing, we are asked to make a maze and make our way from point A to B. We create the maze and it is built into the city - further illustrated through Stage 2. So, is this reflecting Christopher Nolan's idea for Inception becoming a reality, and are we going to be put into that maze when we go to watch the film come July 16th? This could be reinforced by the fact that Leo's character says, "A single idea from the human mind can build cities." Who knows, but this is only my interpretation.

The other is the use of water in the second trailer. We see Leo's character being "given the kick," and he is submersed in a tub of water; then afterwards, we see a man (could be Leo's character) standing still, whilst the whole room fills with water. This could be a representation of the different realities, how in the real world he is woken up by being put into water, then in the dream-world this is reflected by that reality being filled with water, thus signalling the character to "wake up." Once again this is only my interpretation, but I reckon its actually quite clever how the two realities are tied together in this manner - water consumes the character in the real world, and the dream-world is affected by this by flooding the character's dream-state.

I have not read any spoilers or anything, I have only taken in what the marketing of Inception has produced so far, and the information that Christopher Nolan himself has given out. I could be totally wrong about all of these. But I do think the way the film is being marketed, and the secretive nature about the whole of Inception, allows room for a lot of observations and interpretations - which I think is fun.

So what are your interpretations about some of the things that you've seen so far from Inception?

That's actually a very good interpretation, and the whole water thing was kinda what I was thinking. Also, in the description of the footage at WonderCon that was shown, there was a scene of Leonardo DiCaprio in a car (I think it was a car) filling up with water. Water is definitely a big part in the film.

i dont think the "give him the kick" and the scene with leo falling into water are the same scene

trailers always do this...they mesh up 3 scenes to make it look like its all happening in one scene...or they mesh up lines from different parts of the movie to make it seem like an exchange between 2 characters...but when you watch the movie its actually separate scenes

it may or may not be part of the same scene in the film - i was just illustrating which part of the trailer i was talking about.

Interesting thread!

I think this film will be the most layered/complex film of Nolan's career so far, even more so than Memento. It's been pointed out before, but most of the character names in Inception seem to have been chosen for specific reasons:

Ariadne - In Greek mythology this character gave Theseus the "clue" to help him conquer the Minotaur's maze.

Fischer - Could be a tribute to Adrian Fisher, a famous maze designer.

Eames - The surname of an American design couple who made "major contributions to modern architecture" according to Wikipedia.

Browning - John Browning was a famous firearms inventor.

And "Cobb" of course, is the name of a thief in Following.

The_Maestro wrote:Interesting thread!

I think this film will be the most layered/complex film of Nolan's career so far, even more so than Memento. It's been pointed out before, but most of the character names in Inception seem to have been chosen for specific reasons:

Ariadne - In Greek mythology this character gave Theseus the "clue" to help him conquer the Minotaur's maze.

Fischer - Could be a tribute to Adrian Fisher, a famous maze designer.

Eames - The surname of an American design couple who made "major contributions to modern architecture" according to Wikipedia.

Browning - John Browning was a famous firearms inventor.

And "Cobb" of course, is the name of a thief in Following.
lol, nice!

I currently have more expectations for Inception than 2 years ago for TDK, and back then I was pretty exited, why is that?, because Nolan has the money to do whatever the fuck he wants now, yes I have the confidence is gonna be better than Memento, and yes I have the confidence this movie is gonna be one of the greatest movies of all time.

This movie is going to be great for sure! 8-)
when Cobb gets kicked into the bad,i thought that when that happens he has to be in time in dreamworld,to steal some idea
for the villians because he's been captured by them.
and in the real world ken wantanabe hurry's to stop Cobb and his team.

Eternalist wrote:Water wakes him up? Or does it put him to sleep? I assume the scene that the scene where Leo is thrown into the tub of water is akin to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensory_de ... on_chamber
I thought the PASIV Device put him to sleep?... :think:

Anyway, here's another Inception observation. In these stills Leo and the cast are outside the "Hotel Valfierno".

http://www.nolanfans.com/2009/10/05/pro ... d-leather/

Again, it has been pointed out before but Eduardo de Valfierno was the man who masterminded the theft of the Mona Lisa. 8-)

If you look at what Ellen Page is wearing in these stills compared to this screenshot from trailer 2, it looks like it could be part of the same scene. The interior lamp fixtures are also the same as the ones in the scene with JGL and the "rotating hallways".

http://www.nolanfans.com/images/galleri ... ler/28.jpg

To summarize, it looks like the "Hotel Valfierno" will be the scene of some intense action! :D