ONE thing

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
Okay after figuring out just about all the little details in the plot, I'm left with one last thing: how can you creat the kick in the same dream level and wake up in the one above? The kick is supposed to create the falling sensation above (say, reality) , so you feel it below (1st dream). So how can Fischer and Ariadne fall from the building and wake before the explosives go off in the fortress? Obviously this is not a dream but the shared subconcious, but I don't think it's made clear after all the rules were set out.
How they say it works:

KICK HERE & WAKE
/\
/\
/\
DREAM

But then later

WAKE HERE
/\
/\
/\
FALL HERE

The sedatives haven't worn off at this stage, so shouldn't their death after hitting the ground simply restart the limbo? Falling in the dream doesn't effect anything, as shown in all the fighting with Eames for example. Or is the point that going down their willingly means you can kill yourself to get out instead of being lost like Saito?

Eames revives Fischer on lvl3 (+gets kicked off the building in limbo). Ariadne wakes up when the floor she's lying on crumbles on lvl3 (+jumps off the building in limbo). Simultaneous kicks, both wake up on lvl3. Ariadne explains this when Cobb and Eames are about to give up. :)

Oh, and Eames. There was no kick in the level above, so. He can fall off things all he wants :lol: Hope that...helps :shifty:

Code_R wrote:Okay after figuring out just about all the little details in the plot, I'm left with one last thing: how can you creat the kick in the same dream level and wake up in the one above? The kick is supposed to create the falling sensation above (say, reality) , so you feel it below (1st dream). So how can Fischer and Ariadne fall from the building and wake before the explosives go off in the fortress?
The kick that wakes up Fischer from Limbo is when Eames is shocking him with the defibrillator. Ariadne tosses him off the building as the sky lights up with lightening. So, I think that the kick is still coming from the level above, and not from within the dream itself. She throws him off the building so that he is exposed to the sky, feeling the kick from Eames shocking him.

And same thing with Ariadne. The kick in the snow-fortress has already been set off when she jumps off, as seen by a huge windstorm and buildings in Limbo collapsing. So, I took her jumping off as her way of "accepting the kick" or throwing herself out into the storm that is being created by the snow fortress collapsing. So the kick still comes from above. If the snow fortress hadn't been blown up, jumping from the building wouldn't have been enough to wake her.

This is one of the more confusing parts of the movie, and my answers are just the best interpretations that I could come up with. I can't say for certain that they are 100% correct. Hope what I said makes sense.

TheAirline wrote:Eames revives Fischer on lvl3 (+gets kicked off the building in limbo). Ariadne wakes up when the floor she's lying on crumbles on lvl3 (+jumps off the building in limbo). Simultaneous kicks, both wake up on lvl3. Ariadne explains this when Cobb and Eames are about to give up. :)

Oh, and Eames. There was no kick in the level above, so. He can fall off things all he wants :lol: Hope that...helps :shifty:
Nice username. ;)

LOL just noticed that

solo2001 wrote:
TheAirline wrote:Eames revives Fischer on lvl3 (+gets kicked off the building in limbo). Ariadne wakes up when the floor she's lying on crumbles on lvl3 (+jumps off the building in limbo). Simultaneous kicks, both wake up on lvl3. Ariadne explains this when Cobb and Eames are about to give up. :)

Nice username. ;)
Come fly with me let's fl- :wtf: ;)

So the explosives to destroy the factory were the kick for them and not part of the original plan? So how does Cobb stay on level 4? And why push of Fischer and jump from the building at all? Is there a combined falling effect needed?

TWO things... >.>

what's with Cobb's upside down watch? We don't see his totem specifically after all.

The shot of the watch is simply upside down. No big deal. Cobb's psychological totem is the faces of his kids. And seeing their faces overshadowed any creeping doubts when he came back home, so he simply ignored the top in the end.

Yep.
The trick is to devise a kick for each level, then synchronize them to get a snap that penetrates all three layers. (Cobb/script)
(blowing up the fortress on lvl3 + Arthur dropping them on lvl2 + the van hitting the water on lvl1 to get them out of the deeper levels)

It was part of the original plan or at least backup plan, I think, Ariadne just used it to get out of limbo.
As soon as Arthur's music kicks in, just use the defibrillator to revive him. We can give him his own kick down below. ... As soon as the music ends, you blow up the hospital and we all ride the kick back up the layers. (Ariadne/movie)

Cobb, well...he didn't jump off the building and it didn't collapse in time/at all, so my guess is he simply missed the kick (deliberately, to find Saito). They already missed a kick, so yeah, you need a kick on your level and one on the level above you (synchronized) or you don't get out.

TL;DR :silent:

I don't understand this question :?

The shot of the watch is simply upside down. No big deal.
I don't believe anything was done just for no reason or just at random - they chose to film a huge close up upside down. If it's simply to show they are in a dream, then this idea is never repeated (that I noticed).
TheAirline wrote:
I don't understand this question :?
What I'm saying is that nowhere else in the movie does the kick have to exist in the current dream and the above level: as it's shown as existing at it's simplest form in the real world to wake the first level dreamer. How can a defibrillator suddenly give the same effect? This isn't ever shown to be a viable alternative. That would only make sense if Fischer wasnt in Limbo at all, just having heart failure. Why dont they give it to Saito as well? They go to lengths to explain the rules with a certain amount of detail but then forget them all for one particular sequence. Why is limbo such a threat when they can just jump from somewhere high? It's really bugging me and I'd rather not be left with the only answer being a plot hole.
Last edited by Code_R on May 8th, 2011, 7:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.