Inception and IMAX

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
peteagassi wrote:IMAX is the only film format that offers 65 mm resolution.
That statement is absolutely false.
Also, please refrain from the insults. Refer to the forums rules if it'll help you remember.

IMAX is 70mm wide.
Wikipedia wrote: The intent of IMAX is to dramatically increase the resolution of the image by using a much larger film frame. To achieve this, 65 mm film stock is run horizontally through the cameras. While traditional 65 mm film has an image area that is 48.5 mm wide and 22.1 mm tall (for Todd-AO), in IMAX the image is 69.6 mm wide and 48.5 mm tall. In order to expose at standard film speed of 24 frames per second, three times as much film needs to move through the camera each second. [IMAX]
Wikipedia wrote: 70 mm film (or 65 mm film) is a wide high-resolution film gauge, with higher resolution than standard 35 mm motion picture film format. As used in camera, the film is 65 mm wide. For projection, the original 65 mm film is printed on 70 mm film. The additional 5 mm are for magnetic strips holding four of the six tracks of sound. [70 mm film]

AlexHaas wrote:
peteagassi wrote:IMAX is the only film format that offers 65 mm resolution.
That statement is absolutely false.
Also, please refrain from the insults. Refer to the forums rules if it'll help you remember.

IMAX is 70mm wide.
Wikipedia wrote: The intent of IMAX is to dramatically increase the resolution of the image by using a much larger film frame. To achieve this, 65 mm film stock is run horizontally through the cameras. While traditional 65 mm film has an image area that is 48.5 mm wide and 22.1 mm tall (for Todd-AO), in IMAX the image is 69.6 mm wide and 48.5 mm tall. In order to expose at standard film speed of 24 frames per second, three times as much film needs to move through the camera each second. [IMAX]
Wikipedia wrote: 70 mm film (or 65 mm film) is a wide high-resolution film gauge, with higher resolution than standard 35 mm motion picture film format. As used in camera, the film is 65 mm wide. For projection, the original 65 mm film is printed on 70 mm film. The additional 5 mm are for magnetic strips holding four of the six tracks of sound. [70 mm film]
SO you're telling me 65 mm film can be run through regular cameras?????

Not on 35mm cameras obviously. On 65mm cameras. In the end, the entire film is projected on 35mm or digitally, so it doesn't need a special projector.

:roll:

TeddyBlass wrote:Not on 35mm cameras obviously. On 65mm cameras. In the end, the entire film is projected on 35mm or digitally, so it doesn't need a special projector.

:roll:
Man, I wish I was as big a nerd as you guys seem to be. I'm sure wearing those dark glasses would make me nerdier as well. :roll:

peteagassi wrote: Man, I wish I was as big a nerd as you guys seem to be. I'm sure wearing those dark glasses would make me nerdier as well. :roll:
Look closely, I've got two pairs on. ;)

Eternalist wrote:I think it's almost a given that he'll incorporate IMAX cameras into Inception.
Is it? I want to be easily convinced, but I haven't heard anything about it (granted, production hasn't wrapped). Anyway, I hope he uses them.

To be fair, we've heard almost nothing about Inception, much less it's filming methods.

I don't see why he wouldn't.

Eternalist wrote:To be fair, we've heard almost nothing about Inception, much less it's filming methods.

I don't see why he wouldn't.
I don't see why he wouldn't either. It's an action movie rumored at 200 million, money is going somewhere. It's not far fetched that he's investing time and money into IMAX sequences.

peteagassi wrote:
Hellvean Videos wrote:No IMAX. I heard there useing some type of 65 or 70mm film on some scenes, but it's not IMAX.
Wow. You are full of crap. IMAX is the only film format that offers 65 mm resolution. And the only way you can project that kind of resolution is on an IMAX screen.
Are you serious?

http://www.arri.de/camera/65_mm_film.html

That is one example of a 65mm camera that is not IMAX. They've been shooting stuff on 65 and 70mm film since the 60's. 2001 ring a bell? Before you tell someone they are "full of crap" you should do some research.

Hellvean Videos wrote:
peteagassi wrote:
Hellvean Videos wrote:No IMAX. I heard there useing some type of 65 or 70mm film on some scenes, but it's not IMAX.
Wow. You are full of crap. IMAX is the only film format that offers 65 mm resolution. And the only way you can project that kind of resolution is on an IMAX screen.
Are you serious?

http://www.arri.de/camera/65_mm_film.html

That is one example of a 65mm camera that is not IMAX. They've been shooting stuff on 65 and 70mm film since the 60's. 2001 ring a bell? Before you tell someone they are "full of crap" you should do some research.
Good point.