Why am I the only one who doesn't like "Cobb doesn't care"?

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
Rob
Posts: 419
Joined: August 2010
Location: Germany
solo2001 wrote:Lol, yeah I get what you're saying. And It's kind of a giant middle finger to his kids. But what Cobb did with his kids you should do with you're interpretation...
Rob wrote: In my interpretation he sees his children, sees how perfect they are and knows it's reality. But well, Chris just proved that wrong.
...Whether or not it's the reality of the situation, embrace that side of it, because that's where you'll be happier. :D
It's also a giant middle finger to the whole "catharsis" theme in the movie. Cobb's huge journey of letting go his dead wife, only to saying it's okay to the dream.

Posts: 15900
Joined: June 2009
Rob wrote:
Not at all, buddy. Seems like you didn't get me.

If Cobb doesn't care if it's reality or not, he doesn't care if they are his real children or not. That means he doesn't care if his children are in the real world without parents. Now I am the one who cares about his children. About the fact that they actually MEET, get it? Be together. As I said, if they would live in the dream world together (in a shared dream), it would be totally okay. But how can Cobb accept the fact, that those are probably not his kids? If he does accept that, he also could've accepted Mal.
well, see you didn't get the ending...Cobb doesn't NOT care...he doesn't NEED THE TOTEM...he knows its reality...he has faith...he has no doubt....he doesn't need science to tell him that what is in front of him, actually, what he wanted all along...he is going with a feeling.

Rob
Posts: 419
Joined: August 2010
Location: Germany
talli wrote:
Rob wrote:
Not at all, buddy. Seems like you didn't get me.

If Cobb doesn't care if it's reality or not, he doesn't care if they are his real children or not. That means he doesn't care if his children are in the real world without parents. Now I am the one who cares about his children. About the fact that they actually MEET, get it? Be together. As I said, if they would live in the dream world together (in a shared dream), it would be totally okay. But how can Cobb accept the fact, that those are probably not his kids? If he does accept that, he also could've accepted Mal.
well, see you didn't get the ending...Cobb doesn't NOT care...he doesn't NEED THE TOTEM...he knows its reality...he has faith...he has no doubt....he doesn't need science to tell him that what is in front of him, actually, what he wanted all along...he is going with a feeling.
Are you kidding me? You do realize that I was the one who said (in this thread) "My interpretation is that he doesn't need the totem, he knows it's reality". You realize that this is my interpretation? And I don't get the ending? What are you talking about?

And you also do realize that Nolan himself said that "Cobb doesn't care" and this is why I started this thread? Boy, are you a little bit crazy?

Funny troll is funny.

Posts: 15900
Joined: June 2009
Cobb doesn't care about the totem...not about his children....Nolan is saying the same thing as you

Rob
Posts: 419
Joined: August 2010
Location: Germany
talli wrote:Cobb doesn't care about the totem...not about his children....Nolan is saying the same thing as you
If he doesn't care whether the top falls or not, he accepts the fact that this may not be reality.

Posts: 15900
Joined: June 2009
Rob wrote:
talli wrote:Cobb doesn't care about the totem...not about his children....Nolan is saying the same thing as you
If he doesn't care whether the top falls or not, he accepts the fact that this may not be reality.

no thats absolutely not true

...do people who follow religion accept the fact that when they day there may not be an afterlife or a god that greets them there?

....this is a fact...yet religious people do not accept it....we are mysterious creatures

Rob
Posts: 419
Joined: August 2010
Location: Germany
talli wrote:
Rob wrote:
If he doesn't care whether the top falls or not, he accepts the fact that this may not be reality.

no thats absolutely not true

...do people who follow religion accept the fact that when they day there may not be an afterlife or a god that greets them there?

....this is a fact...yet religious people do not accept it....we are mysterious creatures
Uh.

There's a difference between saying "I'm sure the top will fall, so I don't care for it" and "I don't care if it will fall or not, because either way I see my children, even if they're not real". And a lot of people claim that the second one is right, and as I understood him, Nolan as well.

Maybe I just misunderstood him! I hope so. :D

Posts: 15900
Joined: June 2009
Rob wrote:
talli wrote:

no thats absolutely not true

...do people who follow religion accept the fact that when they day there may not be an afterlife or a god that greets them there?

....this is a fact...yet religious people do not accept it....we are mysterious creatures
Uh.

There's a difference between saying "I'm sure the top will fall, so I don't care for it" and "I don't care if it will fall or not, because either way I see my children, even if they're not real". And a lot of people claim that the second one is right, and as I understood him, Nolan as well.

Maybe I just misunderstood him! I hope so. :D
;)

talli wrote:
Rob wrote:
If he doesn't care whether the top falls or not, he accepts the fact that this may not be reality.

no thats absolutely not true

...do people who follow religion accept the fact that when they day there may not be an afterlife or a god that greets them there?

....this is a fact...yet religious people do not accept it....we are mysterious creatures
Fundamentalists may not accept that. But most religious people I know understand there's a "chance" there isn't a heaven. I believe the deal with most of the world's religions is that you're going on some sort of "faith". Having a belief in something without proof. Cobb wants something to be reality, it may not be, but he's not actively dismissing it. (I don't think this movie has religious undertones, but faith is a good comparison.)

Posts: 18850
Joined: June 2010
Location: The White City
I find it relatively strange nobody's shared my interpretation! Okay, I always took it as, and obviously spoilers ahead, that at the end, the kids became Cobb's reality since he moved past his guilt, so in a way very similar to experiences loosing track of 'real' reality as it were, because he had his kids he literally stopped caring, he just wanted to be with them.

The whole film he's obsessed with living in reality, and at the end he lets go and just lets himself be with his children, and to me, that's very powerful. I personally think it ends with it being reality, but hey, that's just my take.

-Vader

Post Reply