WB Wants an Inception Sequel

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
http://www.whatsplaying.com.au/2010/10/ ... inception/
At the end of my day I received a quick email back from [this person really needs a codename] who wrote, rather interestingly :
“No, I mean in the sense that Warner Bros want another Inception - as in sequel. Doesn’t make a lick of sense creatively, but financially? well… it made ”a lot” of money for them. Can’t imagine [Christopher] Nolan wanting to do a sequel, let alone direct one. Also don’t imagine Jeff would want to piss off Nolan by doing one around him. All interest is on the studio side at this stage.We shall see comrade…”.
Definitely expected considering Inception's still-growing $800 million worldwide box office. I honestly would like to see another film in the Inception world, especially now that we've (hopefully) gotten all the explanation out of the way.

I was just saying to a friend that I would love a TV series.

I know a lot of people on this board would balk at the idea, but I don't think one film really scratches the surface of the potential the Inception world has. Obviously it would be preferable to have Nolan involved in some way, or at least give his blessing. Nolan himself has expressed interest in returning to the Inception world some time, so a sequel or some other spin-off is very possible.

The assertation by the source that it doesn't make sense creatively is rather short-sighted, IMO. The only way it wouldn't make sense is if it involved Cobb, because that would completely ruin the ending of the first film. There are other extractor teams out there with equally interesting stories, why not explore their world. I'd love to some of the original characters, though, but it wouldn't be necessary.

apw
Why are blogs even reporting this?

It's not news. It's stating the obvious.

JRM
. . . NO. :JGLface:

apw wrote:Why are blogs even reporting this?

It's not news. It's stating the obvious.

It's a nice opportunity to discuss if a sequel makes sense creatively, what routes could be taken, etc.

The upcoming (I think) game should provide an interesting look at the world of Inception. I'd love a TV series too, good idea

Maybe they can film the entire sequel in that rotating hallway :D That fight scene was awfully short :lol:

JRM
The problem is, making a sequel or a tv show about Inception would take away the mystique of the original film, much like The Matrix sequels. Creatively it doesn't make much sense, only financially, and this is one film I really don't want to see a sequel to.

JRM wrote:The problem is, making a movie or tv show about Inception would take away the mystique of the original film, much like The Matrix sequels. Creatively it doesn't make much sense, only financially, and this is one film I really don't want to see a sequel to.
If Nolan develops a crazy-ass idea for the sequel, I don't see a reason why it shouldn't be put on celluloid. But I doubt that'll happen any time soon. And I would really like him to do a prequel, which gives us some kind of interesting background about the characters and the technology behind inception. If done correctly it would be great and improve the effect of the original film too.

Nolan won't do it. He just won't. He spent 11 years making the first one that good, do you think a second one would even compare? As JRM said:

. . . NO. :JGLface: