Deception: Conceptual Complexity of Inception...Good or Bad?

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.

PowerDump wrote:"http://cynicritics.com/2010/07/24/decep ... %E2%80%99/"

I stopped reading after the article stated something like "Did it succeed? No". The movie is gonna make a huge profit and a most people like it a ton.
The question is not, "Did it succeed financially?" Because that is obvious like you said. The question is, "Did it succeed in blending the narrative innovation from Memento with the Dark Knight's cinematic experience?"

Look for that answer.

mill1924 wrote:
PowerDump wrote:"http://cynicritics.com/2010/07/24/decep ... %E2%80%99/"

I stopped reading after the article stated something like "Did it succeed? No". The movie is gonna make a huge profit and a most people like it a ton.
The question is not, "Did it succeed financially?" Because that is obvious like you said. The question is, "Did it succeed in blending the narrative innovation from Memento with the Dark Knight's cinematic experience?"

Look for that answer.
I think it did. I don't think it's set pieces are as "incredible" as some of the bits in The Dark Knight. Here's a thing about INCEPTION, I know the stakes are high in these action scenes, they spend a lot of time telling you how high the stakes are, but I never really "feel" how high they are. In TDK, that chase scene... I'm on the edge of my seat. When I see that Tumbler explode I'm thinking "oh no Batman is out of it, Joker's gonna get him" and then POOF the Bat-Pod. It's exhilarating. I don't have many moments like that during INCEPTION's set pieces. As a whole I do think it blends it well, that hallway sequence (even post the baddies) is brilliant though.

RomanM wrote:
I think it did. I don't think it's set pieces are as "incredible" as some of the bits in The Dark Knight. Here's a thing about INCEPTION, I know the stakes are high in these action scenes, they spend a lot of time telling you how high the stakes are, but I never really "feel" how high they are. In TDK, that chase scene... I'm on the edge of my seat. When I see that Tumbler explode I'm thinking "oh no Batman is out of it, Joker's gonna get him" and then POOF the Bat-Pod. It's exhilarating. I don't have many moments like that during INCEPTION's set pieces. As a whole I do think it blends it well, that hallway sequence (even post the baddies) is brilliant though.
QTF
http://www.nolanfans.com/forums/viewtop ... =26&t=2459

please, help me and others out over here :mrgreen:

RomanM wrote:
That is a great way of wording it. I agree with you a lot here. They are incredible pieces, but they lack the urgent and lively "feel" of The Dark Knight.

mill1924 wrote:
RomanM wrote:
That is a great way of wording it. I agree with you a lot here. They are incredible pieces, but they lack the urgent and lively "feel" of The Dark Knight.
TBQH, I loved Inception's action, whereas I felt TDK's action as... it was just all right. inception felt like it fit seamlessly with the narrative, while TDK's was cool to look at, but you know the Joker's not going to die, Batman's not going to die... It's a problem with superhero movies in that most of the time you don't have a good feel of stakes because its a franchise. Same goes for James Bond but there they throw in other motivations.

indy42 wrote:
TBQH, I loved Inception's action, whereas I felt TDK's action as... it was just all right. inception felt like it fit seamlessly with the narrative, while TDK's was cool to look at, but you know the Joker's not going to die, Batman's not going to die... It's a problem with superhero movies in that most of the time you don't have a good feel of stakes because its a franchise. Same goes for James Bond but there they throw in other motivations.
Impending death shouldn't be the only way we feel tension as an audience. But I see where you are coming from. I think the interrogation room scene in TDK really proves your point kind of wrong. I can't think of any scene where I felt the pain, tension or action more vividly, thanks to Nolan's great location and filming techniques with lighting and mise en scene.

But I think you are on to something with franchises. A lot of them you know the main character will always prevail, evil will fall, and the stakes aren't as high because it is very formulaic and they need the main character to make it to the next movie. However, if it is done cleverly and handled carefully, I think urgency can be present... look at Lord of the Rings.