For Those Who Have Questions

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
Jarmel wrote:
It seems everybody is misunderstanding the kicks. The kick goes into effect not when you're falling but when you hit the ground. The van kick went into effect when they hit the water and Dom's kick goes into effect when he hit the water in the beginning.
Cobb did said "a kick is the sense of falling that boots you out of the dream"

and the movie also showed several shots of Arthur experimenting with Yusuf's drug where he was awake midway being pushed

Dan_87 wrote:
Jarmel wrote:
It seems everybody is misunderstanding the kicks. The kick goes into effect not when you're falling but when you hit the ground. The van kick went into effect when they hit the water and Dom's kick goes into effect when he hit the water in the beginning.

and the movie also showed several shots of Arthur experimenting with Yusuf's drug where he was awake midway being pushed
Yes I'm aware but it seems the sense of falling isn't enough and that you actually need to fall or touch some sort of ground. The opening scene with Cobb for example, at that point he wanted out as he had already read the documents and there was no point. He pretty much awoke when he hit the water. The whole van scene for example, everybody awoke when they hit the water.

Jarmel wrote:
Dan_87 wrote:
Jarmel wrote:

Yes I'm aware but it seems the sense of falling isn't enough and that you actually need to fall or touch some sort of ground. The opening scene with Cobb for example, at that point he wanted out as he had already read the documents and there was no point. He pretty much awoke when he hit the water. The whole van scene for example, everybody awoke when they hit the water.
my theory after seeing other explanation:

experienced dreamer could resist kicks, hence the first sequence Cobb did not wake up even though he was slapped, or being pushed...it was only after he completely submerged in the water that he woke up

reason: Cobb can resist the fall, and once his body touched water, he begun to dream about the place being over run by flood waters, so in the end the water drowned him and he got no choice but to wake up....so water is sorta fail-safe when things starts to go wrong (same applied to Yusuf drove the van right into the river)

I also remembered another possible plot hole, wasn't arthur shot by cobb in a dream within a dream at the very beginning of the movie, and he woke up in the first dream? Shouldn't he have gone into limbo?

JonnyT23 wrote:I also remembered another possible plot hole, wasn't arthur shot by cobb in a dream within a dream at the very beginning of the movie, and he woke up in the first dream? Shouldn't he have gone into limbo?
Yes, he is shot in a dream within a dream. However, according to what happens later in the film, the only reason any one of the crew will end up in limbo and not simply wake up is that they are too heavily sedated. In the begining, they aren't heavily sedated; therefore, they simply just wake up (or in this case because it's a dream within a dream, they move up a dream level).

Dan_87 wrote:

experienced dreamer could resist kicks, hence the first sequence Cobb did not wake up even though he was slapped, or being pushed...it was only after he completely submerged in the water that he woke up

reason: Cobb can resist the fall, and once his body touched water, he begun to dream about the place being over run by flood waters, so in the end the water drowned him and he got no choice but to wake up....so water is sorta fail-safe when things starts to go wrong (same applied to Yusuf drove the van right into the river)
The whole slapping scene actually might have been a warning. It's also possible that when they went off the bridge, the van was in freefall and only when they hit the water did it act as a sufficient kick. Kinda like skydiving in which you're missing the falling sensation.

Also what about Fischer? If the team was resistant dreamers, why didn't Fischer get kicked out? That's because the van just falling off the bridge wasn't sufficient as a kick.

Jarmel wrote:
Dan_87 wrote:

The whole slapping scene actually might have been a warning. It's also possible that when they went off the bridge, the van was in freefall and only when they hit the water did it act as a sufficient kick. Kinda like skydiving in which you're missing the falling sensation.

Also what about Fischer? If the team was resistant dreamers, why didn't Fischer get kicked out? That's because the van just falling off the bridge wasn't sufficient as a kick.
he was trained before,so i think he's equally resistant?

but yah, you have a point as well using the skydiving as an example

Dan_87 wrote:
Jarmel wrote:
Dan_87 wrote:

he was trained before,so i think he's equally resistant?

but yah, you have a point as well using the skydiving as an example
There's also Saito too. Both of them might have been slightly trained to resist mind attacks but they definitely weren't experts. Both Fischer and Saito(I'm somewhat sure about this) for example don't have totems.

Jarmel wrote:
There's also Saito too. Both of them might have been slightly trained to resist mind attacks but they definitely weren't experts. Both Fischer and Saito(I'm somewhat sure about this) for example don't have totems.
i think they do have, just that the movie didn't showed it....the extractor/person who taught them how to resist should also taught them about the way to test whether they are in a dream or in reality

but as the rest of the movie, this part, also can go both ways....man this is starting to look like 2 movies in 1 :wtf:

Dan_87 wrote:
Jarmel wrote:
i think they do have, just that the movie didn't showed it....the extractor/person who taught them how to resist should also taught them about the way to test whether they are in a dream or in reality

but as the rest of the movie, this part, also can go both ways....man this is starting to look like 2 movies in 1 :wtf:
To be fair though, it was Mal's idea about the totems so it wouldn't be that surprising neither have totems. Fischer though was about to shoot himself without even testing to see if it's a dream.