The INCEPTION Award Season Discussion Thread

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
Best Picture
Best Director
Best Writing (Original Screenplay)
Best Cinematography
Best Sound Editing
Best Sound
Best Visual Effects
Best Film Editing
Best Music (Original Score)

and possible..

Best Art Direction

apw wrote:
spade wrote:Best Picture
Best director
Best Screenplay
In these 3 categories it would be inception vs toy story 3
bcs this yr nt even an arthouse film can match these 2
I can't see an animated film getting a Best Director nomination.

Also Toy Story 3 would be nominated in Adapted Screenplay whereas Inception would be nominated for Original Screenplay.
Toy story 3 would definitely get nominated in the original screenplay category. I don't know why u thought that it would be nominated in adapted screenplay category. Till now 7 pixar movies have been nominated for best original screenplay bt none have won.
and toy story 3 has high probability of being the first animated film to get the best director nomination

apw
spade wrote:
apw wrote:
spade wrote:Best Picture
Best director
Best Screenplay
In these 3 categories it would be inception vs toy story 3
bcs this yr nt even an arthouse film can match these 2
I can't see an animated film getting a Best Director nomination.

Also Toy Story 3 would be nominated in Adapted Screenplay whereas Inception would be nominated for Original Screenplay.
Toy story 3 would definitely get nominated in the original screenplay category. I don't know why u thought that it would be nominated in adapted screenplay category. Till now 7 pixar movies have been nominated for best original screenplay bt none have won.
and toy story 3 has high probability of being the first animated film to get the best director nomination
Err. 7 Pixar movies have been nominated for Original Screenplay because they were original.

Toy Story 3 isn't original. It's based on characters that have featured in 2 previous movies and will be an Adapted Screenplay.

spade wrote:
apw is right, Toy Story 3 is an ADAPTED Screenplay because it's based upon on characters originally created for Toy Story 1 (1995)

apw is right, Toy Story 3 is an ADAPTED Screenplay because it's based upon on characters originally created for Toy Story 1
ok I got it

Having seen the movie, I think it has a shot at being nominated for Best Picture, but does not have a chance at winning. The film is just too genre and too brainy for the Academy. That being said, it will probably get many nominations.

I see it nominated for the following:

Best Picture
Best Art Direction
Best Cinematography
Best Film Editing
Best Original Score
Best Sound Editing
Best Sound Mixing
Best Visual Effects

Possible:
Best Director - if the Academy REALLY goes for it
Best Screenplay - same as Best Director
Best Actor and Best Supporting Actress - Leo and Marion. - They will kind of get lost in the shuffle, but, if the Academy really likes it, one of them will probably go along for the ride (most likely Leo.)

Just so you know, my Oscar predictions for the film do not really reflect my views on the film. I think it's great!

I think it will REDUNDANTLY got a screenplay Oscar

CinemaSoup wrote:
Best Art Direction
Best Cinematography
Best Film Editing
Best Original Score
Best Sound Editing
Best Sound Mixing
Best Visual Effects

Since you've seen it, how many potential wins do you think could come from this bunch? Even Edelstein (who trashed the film overall) said Lee Smith's editing was strong enough to win an Oscar. I think it could end up with one of the sound categories like TDK did and possibly Visual Effects. Not gonna win Cinematography (Wally isn't old enough to be "due"), Art Direction (too contemporary), or Original Score (it's Zimmer...lol).

redfirebird2008 wrote:
CinemaSoup wrote:
Best Art Direction
Best Cinematography
Best Film Editing
Best Original Score
Best Sound Editing
Best Sound Mixing
Best Visual Effects

Since you've seen it, how many potential wins do you think could come from this bunch? Even Edelstein (who trashed the film overall) said Lee Smith's editing was strong enough to win an Oscar. I think it could end up with one of the sound categories like TDK did and possibly Visual Effects. Not gonna win Cinematography (Wally isn't old enough to be "due"), Art Direction (too contemporary), or Original Score (it's Zimmer...lol).

It's hard to say since it's so early in the year.

It has a really good shot at winning Cinematography, Editing, and the two Sound categories.

It is a summer blockbuster but it will definitely get nominated for something.