The INCEPTION Award Season Discussion Thread

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
apw
redfirebird2008 wrote: Michael Bay is a member of the DGA. Is he a member of the Academy's Directors Branch?
He is. :o

Because that'sthe explanation to Nolan isn't it? The Academy hates him? Not because of six other talented individuals he simply lost to. Or even though he's already got two nominations. It's because they hate him?

I'm sorry, this 'snub' argument is not going to reach a conclusion. Everybody should just move on in this thread.
Please, stop with the whole "lost to other talented individuals" talk.

Not my point. My point is that Joel & Ethan Coen for example, hadn't been nominated for a single heavy award, like Nolan had. But then when it comes right down to the Academy Awards, Nolan just won't get a nomination. In 2008 The Reader robbed him and TDK from a Best Picture nomination, and this time, well this time it wasn't really a robbery, but it's still hilarious how everyone had been nominating Nolan; the critics, the Globes, the DGA, but then comes the Academy and they chose to ignore one of the most critically acclaimed director of the year.

You're in denial if you don't think the Academy has something against him. The same thing has happened two years in a row now. When the same thing happens for The Dark Knight Rises, are we gonna sit there and say; "Well, he lost to talented people..."?

I said it once and I'll say it again. Chris Nolan will get recognized by the Academy the day he releases a film in Oscar campaign season (November, December and NOT summer), it is NOT a blockbuster geared genre movie, and they day the studio (WB or any other he may end up working for) properly campaigns for him and the movie. Also, I think he may have a better shot at getting nominated if he releases a film a year when none of the "Academy darlings" releases one (i.e; The Coens, Eastwood, etc, etc.). And this because of the famous "preferential ballot system" because, if and only if, the theory that says that "The Academy doesn't like Nolan" or "The academy will automatically vote for one of their darling director's films", then he would have a better shot at being recognized whenever none of those directors are presenting films that year.

Angier wrote:
Because that'sthe explanation to Nolan isn't it? The Academy hates him? Not because of six other talented individuals he simply lost to. Or even though he's already got two nominations. It's because they hate him?

I'm sorry, this 'snub' argument is not going to reach a conclusion. Everybody should just move on in this thread.
Please, stop with the whole "lost to other talented individuals" talk.

Not my point. My point is that Joel & Ethan Coen for example, hadn't been nominated for a single heavy award, like Nolan had. But then when it comes right down to the Academy Awards, Nolan just won't get a nomination. In 2008 The Reader robbed him and TDK from a Best Picture nomination, and this time, well this time it wasn't really a robbery, but it's still hilarious how everyone had been nominating Nolan; the critics, the Globes, the DGA, but then comes the Academy and they chose to ignore one of the most critically acclaimed director of the year.

You're in denial if you don't think the Academy has something against him. The same thing has happened two years in a row now. When the same thing happens for The Dark Knight Rises, are we gonna sit there and say; "Well, he lost to talented people..."?
+1
True Grit is just a remake.Yet it is made by Academy darlings.They have to ask themselves, what requires more skilled director? a remake or an original?
gib sigs

redfirebird2008 wrote:
Anita18 wrote: Which calls into question how relevant they are if the DGA nominated Nolan three times and the Academy didn't. But that's the most you can glean from this. I don't think there's a conspiracy against Nolan personally. :lol:
The DGA has a much larger voting membership than the Directors Branch of the Academy. I would think the Academy has higher standards for the right to vote. Michael Bay is a member of the DGA. Is he a member of the Academy's Directors Branch?
It's not like the DGA has low standards either. As you said, different tastes.

And I would call their relevancy into question if the general public is WTF at Nolan's lack of nomination, which they are. On another non-movie, non-comic book related forum that I go to, Nolan's snub is being mentioned specifically as being particularly questionable. It's not just fanboys being puzzled at this, although the fanboys are probably the only ones taking up arms. :lol:

Doesn't matter people still care about the Oscars which is why people get up in arms in the first place. The Academy Awards are the most relevant award event in the entire motion picture industry, by a mile and then some. People never fully agree with the Academy, never have, and they're still top shit.

Get over it everyone.

cooldued wrote:When Quentin Tarantino of all people didn't even put inception in his top 20, I started get worried -- He is part of the director's branch and if doesn't seem to embrace the film than really who would in the academy.
For me his top 20 is irrelevant. Even Knight and Day was there.

The truth is that (the critically aclaimed) Inception almost made the same money as all the Tarantino`s movies together.

willyjoel wrote:I said it once and I'll say it again. Chris Nolan will get recognized by the Academy the day he releases a film in Oscar campaign season (November, December and NOT summer), it is NOT a blockbuster geared genre movie, and they day the studio (WB or any other he may end up working for) properly campaigns for him and the movie. Also, I think he may have a better shot at getting nominated if he releases a film a year when none of the "Academy darlings" releases one (i.e; The Coens, Eastwood, etc, etc.). And this because of the famous "preferential ballot system" because, if and only if, the theory that says that "The Academy doesn't like Nolan" or "The academy will automatically vote for one of their darling director's films", then he would have a better shot at being recognized whenever none of those directors are presenting films that year.
Chris will have to stop making the type of movies he makes, and turn into making a holocaust movie about two people falling in love with each other, in order to get an award. After that he'll be the Academy's Golden Boy. Hey, maybe Meryl Streep can star in the title role.

Found on Twitter:

If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

^That's awesome...