"Inception": Critic Reviews thread

This 2010 contemporary sci-fi actioner follows a subconscious security team around the globe and into the intimate and infinite world of dreams.
Barrett wrote:The only critic whose opinion matters and the only one that I will care about, is Roger Ebert.
Ebert is another one that I respect. He has shown an independent viewpoint over the years despite being the most famous critic around.

How quickly does Ebert get his reviews out?

Jumpman wrote:The box office "worry" from Travers doesn't really both me because ultimately, I think that Nolan doing this film with the generous budget WB granted him, was a packaged deal for WB. Not saying that WB doesn't love Nolan or doesn't want to keep him on the lot (with Eastwood in his twilight years, WB is clearly making sure that Nolan takes his place), but WB has an end game with this film and that's Batman 3.

I think WB wants a hit but I don't think they expect Dark Knight numbers. Not saying they'll take it on the chin for this film but it wouldn't surprise to find out that WB isn't that worried about the box office for this film.

But, I do think they are going to push even harder than with the Dark Knight for Oscars...because I think they think Nolan deserves it. This might be their prestigious film for the year (and maybe Eastwood's film as well).
The thing about Batman is that Nolan has placed the franchise in such a popular spot that I don't think it even matters if he comes back from a box office standpoint. The next one will make a ton of money no matter who directs it. Reminds me of the X-Men franchise. The third movie had a new director but made more money than the previous two thanks to the credibility that was already built for the franchise.

red,

While I do think you're right, I think WB is looking at the past and saw what they let slip away with the previous Batman films. I think they want Nolan to finish it off the right way and they don't want to let it not be finished the right way. While the industry is all about money and indeed WB's thinking about Batman 3 is mostly about money, I do think, in this particular case, they have a sense of pride with the franchise Nolan built and they want capped right.

Again, this is why I don't think Inception is THAT much of gamble for WB. Again, it was part of an end game. Granted, I'm not entire sure WB knew what they were getting either with Inception.

Either way, WB wants their logo on the front of Nolan films from now on. He's the new Eastwood on that lot. God forbid this thing gets huge...WB might let him make anything if it is....

Jumpman wrote:Either way, WB wants their logo on the front of Nolan films from now on. He's the new Eastwood on that lot. God forbid this thing gets huge...WB might let him make anything if it is....
No, no, no, let it be huge. If it does, other studios will notice that original gets more money than adaptations.

Jumpman wrote:
Either way, WB wants their logo on the front of Nolan films from now on. He's the new Eastwood on that lot. God forbid this thing gets huge...WB might let him make anything if it is....

They'll build a statue of him in their headquarters if his production of Superman turns out great. That thing is stuck in development hell, although it sounds like he and Goyer are dragging it out of there. WB has to get the thing made soon or the rights revert to the Siegel family.

redfirebird2008 wrote:
Jumpman wrote:

They'll build a statue of him in their headquarters if his production of Superman turns out great. That thing is stuck in development hell, although it sounds like he and Goyer are dragging it out of there. WB has to get the thing made soon or the rights revert to the Siegel family.
Yea, I'm worried that the movie will be rushed though since the rights are so close to reverting.

chee wrote:
redfirebird2008 wrote:
Jumpman wrote:

Yea, I'm worried that the movie will be rushed though since the rights are so close to reverting.
If I remember right, they have issued a December 2012 release date for it. Goyer is writing the script, so I think they are on a pretty similar timeline with Batman 3 right now. Batman 3's script is either done or nearly done and the release is 2 years away. Superman's script should be done sometime this winter, which would be 2 years before the movie's release.
Last edited by redfirebird2008 on June 23rd, 2010, 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

When do you think we can expect to get the full review?

Oh, absolutely. I want it to be huge for Nolan's sake and the sake of the industry. But, I'm only 50% hopeful only because we, the audience, have been conditioned over the last few years with sequels, remakes, and reboots and I just don't think people are really ready for what Nolan will unleash on them.

Remember, Memento wasn't this huge box office hit. Not that many people saw it. If Nolan taps into his inner-Memento but on a large scale with Inception, the audience's head my exploded and they get turned off by it. God, I hope not but it's this feeling I have.