Nolanhack's Next Flick

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
I wonder if The Prisoner is the "horror film with Harry Styles" I was reading from separate people, as now I'm hearing his take on The Prisoner in 2009 was wild and darkly psychological and completely different than the series.

https://youtu.be/wQspUxYtgmA?si=Wi9Z1EjolykUSOvR

I think a psychological thriller/horror would be nice!

Two of the genres, that Nolan hasn't done yet, is historical epos and natural disaster.
Some weeks ago it came to my mind that a film about the vulcanic eruption and destruction of Pompei would somehow combine both genres. :lol:

Schoggi wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 7:25 pm
I think a psychological thriller/horror would be nice!

Two of the genres, that Nolan hasn't done yet, is historical epos and natural disaster.
Some weeks ago it came to my mind that a film about the vulcanic eruption and destruction of Pompei would somehow combine both genres. :lol:
If Chris was to do a film about fire and destruction, he might as well do Jonah's Hell and Gone. I suppose maybe he's done working on his brother's scripts now.

Nolan wrote the script for Oppenheimer during the spring and summer of 2021, and it was officially announced as his next project in September later that year. So if he’s already in the process of writing something now, I wouldn’t be surprised if we get an announcement by the end of this summer.

If it does end up being The Prisoner, I’m actually going to predict it will be a female lead (a first for him). I’m sure he’d make the adaptation his own in a way that feels like an original project, so I could see him casting someone unlike McGoohan. No one expected him to cast John David Washington, the first PoC to lead a Nolan film, and while Nolan never spoke openly about this, that decision felt to me at least partially motivated by all the talk from people wanting a black James Bond (so he created his own black Bond to star in his own Bond film). He could make a similar move here and make the lead in The Prisoner a female secret agent (The Prisoner does have a bit of James Bond in its DNA). And since Nolan’s more recent films do seem to, in part, act as responses to various criticisms that have been leveled at his films over the years, casting a female lead here would also make sense as a way of addressing the complaint about Nolan’s female characters being sidelined or underwritten.

Chris and Emma are in Venice at the moment. Location scouting perhaps?

User of Interest wrote:
March 23rd, 2024, 8:06 am
Chris and Emma are in Venice at the moment. Location scouting perhaps?
Could be, but more likely a well-deserved vacation.

Angus wrote:
March 13th, 2024, 11:55 pm
I wonder if The Prisoner is the "horror film with Harry Styles" I was reading from separate people, as now I'm hearing his take on The Prisoner in 2009 was wild and darkly psychological and completely different than the series.

I genuinely doubt he's still gonna cast Harry Styles. Seems like it was just wishful thinking from Nolan at the time during Dunkirk that Harry would hit it out of the park with his movie choices after and become leading man worthy but obviously that did not happen. I honestly think Nolan is going to do something completely left field. No way you make a movie like Oppenheimer and then not do something absolutely batshit insane after.

MaxContract wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 11:45 pm
Angus wrote:
March 13th, 2024, 11:55 pm

I genuinely doubt he's still gonna cast Harry Styles. Seems like it was just wishful thinking from Nolan at the time during Dunkirk that Harry would hit it out of the park with his movie choices after and become leading man worthy but obviously that did not happen. I honestly think Nolan is going to do something completely left field. No way you make a movie like Oppenheimer and then not do something absolutely batshit insane after.
Honestly, in keeping with Nolan's out of order chronology, Tenet feels like the kind of wildly original and out there blank check big budget film he'd do after getting so much success with Oppy. I think Dunkirk for sure helped Tenet get made, so I'm wondering if we will get another Tenet like film afterwards.

Personally, as strong of a Sci Fi director as he is, I'd be cool with him not returning to that well. I'd love for him to try and do a thriller/horror on a bigger scale than most.

Writer/Director Scott Derrickson suggested on Twitter that Nolan should consider adapting the horror novel "House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski.

Nolan doing horror next would be pretty fitting since he toyed with the idea in the past. Inception was originally conceived as a horror movie:

"I was thinking along the lines of a horror movie at first, but it eventually became this project," he said. "I was looking for a device whereby the dreams would become important to the story, and the thought that someone could invade your dream space and steal an idea is immensely compelling to me. The concept that dreams feel real while we’re in them underlies the whole film."

In a way, Nolan did follow through on the horror notion by framing Inception as a tragic ghost story from Cobb's point-of-view (the character, played by Leonardo Di Caprio, is literally haunted by the apparition of his late wife).

https://www.syfy.com/syfy-wire/christop ... rror-movie
Last edited by Yuri Scheffer on April 5th, 2024, 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.