Nolanhack's Next Flick

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
Interstellar: Announced Jan. 2013, cast in March, released November 2014.

Dunkirk: Announced Sept. 2015, cast/title in December, released July 2017

Tenet: Announced Jan. 2019, cast in March, title in May (only once shooting began), (supposed to have) released July 2020.

Oppenheimer: Announced Sept. 2021, title in October, cast from October-December, released July 2023.

If he has a movie coming in 2026, we'll quite possibly know this year when his next project is coming. Potentially even a key cast member or genre. We normally know over a year and a half ahead of release. Tenet has been the only exception to that rule. If Interstellar's dates were shifted to July 2014, but timing remained, we'd have gotten the announcement in September and cast in November of 2012.

Unless he takes a break longer than normal...

I was always curious about Nolan's version of The Prisoner that's been kicking about for a good 15 years. The original is a complete mind fuck (and a great watch), it always felt what would happen if someone was allowed to make a Bond film with complete free reign and a ton of weird messed up imagination.

I guess if he tackled it, he wouldn't use Janet and David Peoples' old script.

I think he should do it, and for those yearning for horror; there is plenty of psychological horror elements in there. Might as well get Cillian to play number 6.

6.26.26 is just too perfect NOT to do a Tenet sequel. It's a summer palindrome date that lands on a Friday. It's fate :judge:

MMatt wrote:
March 12th, 2024, 9:44 pm
6.26.26 is just too perfect NOT to do a Tenet sequel. It's a summer palindrome date that lands on a Friday. It's fate :judge:
But the lord loves July!

MMatt wrote:
That should be a sequel AND a prequel in one movie. :D I'm still in love with Tenet, but I would like to see another original picture. But that date would be perfect for the adventures of No.6, so who knows.

I'll be hoping for Tenet 2 right up to the moment his next film is announced, but there's no wrong next project in my eyes, whatever he decides to do is going to be amazing.

DUNKIRKIE wrote:
March 13th, 2024, 2:27 am
But the lord loves July!
Of course, but hypothetically - if Nolan were to do another Tenet next, he would definitely move up out of his usual July spot by a couple weeks for that date, right? Can't pass that up.

quervo wrote:
March 13th, 2024, 7:25 am
That should be a sequel AND a prequel in one movie. :D
Indeed ;)

Sharkboy wrote:
March 12th, 2024, 6:44 pm
I was always curious about Nolan's version of The Prisoner that's been kicking about for a good 15 years. The original is a complete mind fuck (and a great watch), it always felt what would happen if someone was allowed to make a Bond film with complete free reign and a ton of weird messed up imagination.

I think he should do it, and for those yearning for horror; there is plenty of psychological horror elements in there. Might as well get Cillian to play number 6.
I did not know this about The Prisoner. That good, eh? And messed up?

Maybe I tackle some Prisoner this weekend.

The show, not a person.

MMatt wrote:
That could be great and unintentionally funny, haha 😆

Angus wrote:
March 13th, 2024, 8:38 am
Sharkboy wrote:
March 12th, 2024, 6:44 pm

I did not know this about The Prisoner. That good, eh? And messed up?

Maybe I tackle some Prisoner this weekend.

The show, not a person.
Oh yeah, it’s right up Nolan’s alley. You can tell it would have likely been one of his influences. Sci fi spy psychological mystery thriller…that goes all weird with horror elements. It’s confirmed he had a version in the works so I can’t imagine he wouldn’t at least consider returning to it.

BTW I’m talking about the 1967 version, not the horrible amc remake.

Here is an article from last year that says Nolan dropped out of The Prisoner years ago because he couldn’t quite “crack” the adaptation: https://variety.com/2023/film/features/ ... 235782516/
So it wasn’t surprising that when it came time to make “Oppenheimer,” Nolan went elsewhere, to Universal. He had established a strong relationship with its head, Donna Langley, while working on a film adaptation of the TV series “The Prisoner” several years before. He couldn’t quite “crack” the adaptation, he says, which went unmade, but the pair stayed in touch, with Langley seeing Nolan and Thomas for the occasional lunch. Nolan appreciated Langley’s reputation for protecting and supporting top talent, while the executive was eager to land the next film from such a high-profile filmmaker.
This being his next project actually seems plausible since his current relationship with the head of Universal, Donna Langley, actually started with trying to develop the film adaptation of The Prisoner years ago... and of course Universal is where he ended up for Oppenheimer because the two stayed in touch even while he was with Warner Bros. Could be that he and Langley are now trying to revive the project after already having worked on it together a while back. If this is his next film, it will be interesting to see how he managed to finally “crack” it.