Nolanhack's Next Flick

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
Mr.BigGreenLion wrote:
January 9th, 2024, 5:25 pm
I think he said "Oppenheimer" was emotionally heavy and dark. So my bet is that the next movie will be something more entertaining, like "Inception" or "Interstellar". Maybe even more the latter - a classic sci-fi adventure, an ode to Spielberg.

I see it as "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" mixed with "Indiana Jones". Maybe not as a movie about first contact, but about what happened afterwards? It's not an often exploited theme in cinema.

In the foreground, the father-daughter (son) relationship / human condition in such a strange new world (and I don't mean the human-alien war).
The main characters entangled in a government affair are forced to embark on a journey that will change their lives. RDJ in a leading role. Or Hardy. We got Cillian in the lead, Hardy should also get a chance for such role in a Nolan movie.
Or why not have both?
that's the exact plot of interstellar. which i would argue is heavy and dark.

I'm kind of fanboying about Philip K. Dick's UBIK, as well as 1984.
I could even see him take on Dracula. Or Hamlet.

No doubt it's gonna be something huge. There's no slowing down now, and I think he has no intention to. If he wins the Oscar and Oppie gets Best Picture, he's going to tell his crew, "It's time to go bigger."

I bet this motherfucker's going down as the best director ever, haha. Certainly in the same conversation as Kubrick and Spielberg. I went back through this whole filmography this month and everything is holding up. It all looks great. It's timeless. Memento is still innovative. The Prestige is still that wild. They even feel like new movies still, haha. The past two decades have been a blur of mediocrity and this guy's knocking out classic after classic.

Angus wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 10:35 pm

No doubt it's gonna be something huge. There's no slowing down now, and I think he has no intention to. If he wins the Oscar and Oppie gets Best Picture, he's going to tell his crew, "It's time to go bigger."

I bet this motherfucker's going down as the best director ever, haha. Certainly in the same conversation as Kubrick and Spielberg. I went back through this whole filmography this month and everything is holding up. It all looks great. It's timeless. Memento is still innovative. The Prestige is still that wild. They even feel like new movies still, haha. The past two decades have been a blur of mediocrity and this guy's knocking out classic after classic.
Problem with him doing Ubik is that there is so much Ubik in Inception...I don't think he needs to do adaptations. Do we need another adaptation of Dracula? Hamlet? especially from the one filmmaker (and James Cameron) who can get anything they want made. I also think, if he is gonna adapt something moving forward it will be non-fiction historical, there is lots of wiggle room in regards to how you turn historical topics into narratives.

A Borges man wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 11:20 pm
Angus wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 10:35 pm

Problem with him doing Ubik is that there is so much Ubik in Inception...I don't think he needs to do adaptations. Do we need another adaptation of Dracula? Hamlet? especially from the one filmmaker (and James Cameron) who can get anything they want made. I also think, if he is gonna adapt something moving forward it will be non-fiction historical, there is lots of wiggle room in regards to how you turn historical topics into narratives.
Here's my take though: he's adapted material before; why wouldn't he do it again? It's the same with Kubrick adapting a Stephen King novel or Spielberg doing Peter Pan or Scorsese doing remakes like Cape Fear or The Departed. I just don't see Nolan "limiting" himself to just wholly original material, he strikes me as the exact opposite where anything is on the table and there are no limits. I think he made his mark in the superhero genre, so that's done. The spy genre? The detective noir? He might be done. But horror and sci-fi and general "strange fiction" isn't going anywhere.

Horror is coming eventually. I'd put a thousand bucks on it. There's too much rich, disturbing, psychological stuff sprinkled throughout EVERY film for him not to put his stamp on it like Kubrick and The Shining.

It's either go big(ger) or go home for Nolan's next film and beyond.

Variety - Christopher Nolan Would ‘Love to Make a Horror Film,’ Looking for a ‘Really Exceptional Idea’
“I think horror films are very interesting because they depend on very cinematic devices, it really is about a visceral response to things and so, at some point, I’d love to make a horror film.”

“But I think a really good horror film requires a really exceptional idea. And those are few and far between. So I haven’t found a story that lends itself to that.”

“But I think it’s a very interesting genre from a cinematic point of view. It’s also one of the few genres where the studios make a lot of these films, and they are films that have a lot of bleakness, a lot of abstraction. They have a lot of the qualities that Hollywood is generally very resistant to putting in films, but that’s a genre where it’s allowable.”

Waitedalongtime wrote:
December 11th, 2023, 8:01 pm
BobCobb wrote:
December 2nd, 2023, 6:58 am
Angus wrote:
December 1st, 2023, 4:42 pm
This thread should also be low-key speculation for what Sam Mendes and Ridley Scott do next, too.
I bet Mendes does Einstein for Netflix. Ridley does Sputnik 1 for AppleTV+.
Mendes will make a love story set during the Hiroshima bombing. Lmao
Honestly given how Priscilla got made after Elvis, it would be cool for a solid filmmaker to make a Hiroshima based film to act as a pseudo companion piece.
https://www.gamesradar.com/godzilla-min ... total-film

So a couple of people have separately said on the Instagram account @ChristopherNolanRealm that his next movie is a horror film starring Harry Styles, Harry has already signed on, and Nolan is in the writing stages now.

But this is the internet, so...

Now all eyes are on what Nolan — who wrote, directed and produced “Oppenheimer” — will do next. Some say it will be a remake of the mystery-thriller “The Prisoner,” based on the 1960s TV series created by and starring Patrick McGoohan, which Nolan was attached to in 2009. But the sci-fi project vanished from Nolan’s dance card that same year, when AMC released its own “The Prisoners,” a six-part miniseries led by Jim Caviezel as the ill-fated agent Number Six alongside Ian McKellen and Ruth Wilson. Others say he will begin writing a new screenplay now that the awards season is behind him.

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/chri ... 235938430/