Nolanhack's Next Flick

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
Ruth wrote:
July 18th, 2023, 5:15 pm
Pratham wrote:
July 15th, 2023, 12:58 am
live action hentai adaptation, obviously
Omg you're still here on this website
i watched enough british panelshows on youtube so i came here.

nisarshaikh wrote:
July 18th, 2023, 1:29 am
I have a prediction as to what I can see Nolan doing in the future…

A David Bowie biopic. This idea sparked in my mind when Cillian Murphy said Nolan used photos of Bowie as references for the look of Oppenheimer. He’s clearly a fan of David Bowie seeing as he used his music in Memento and even cast Bowie in The Prestige.

Nolan is a master of creating these immersive audio visual experiences so I can totally see Nolan doing that for a musical biopic. And portraying this larger than life icon would be a great project for Nolan as it would allow him to break new ground and explore new themes as well.

Am I the only one who thinks this is highly plausible?
I’ve always had this idea of Nolan adapting the novel “A Very Irregular Head” about Syd Barrett and Pink Floyd, starring Timotheé Chalamet as a young Syd and Casey Affleck as the older burnt out Syd - a reunion from Interstellar. Imagine all the Floyd/Barrett songs in an IMAX theater w/ all sorts of trippy visuals and drama of a musical genius losing his mind. Not unlike The Wall.

Some day I want Nolan to do
-Female lead movie
-comedy of some kind
-family friendly movie

To help add more variety to his work so he can continue to build his legacy

Nolan next flick Will be a scifi movie about AI, save my words
Last edited by Lucor124 on July 27th, 2023, 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jesus of Suburbia wrote:
July 25th, 2023, 10:41 pm
Some day I want Nolan to do
-Female lead movie
-comedy of some kind
-family friendly movie

To help add more variety to his work so he can continue to build his legacy
Family friendly would be cool, could be like Where the Wild Things Are or The Straight Story, not strictly child friendly but still content wise suitable for them. Comedy would be very unique, a dark one would be easier I think but Nolan's style of humour is very deadpan and straightlaced, could still be funny for a whole film if kinda old fashioned.

Female lead would be really cool, really all he needs to do is just basically write one of his protagonists but as a woman instead and I think that'll be all that has to be done.

This is probably a larger discussion, but I'd like to see him direct a female-led film, and I don't think it would be as difficult as we think it would for him.

Which is funny because he doesn't exactly write male main characters who are inextricably tied to their masculinity. The only things that are consistently traditionally cis-gender about his male characters are things like fatherhood and being a husband. I dunno if it would be particularly difficult to translate into motherhood or being a wife.

Take, for example, Inception. I mean, would it have been difficult to cast a female lead as a mother/widow instead of a father/widower? The whole film, the character is trying to get back to his children, that definitely would have worked with a female character. So, in films where Nolan tackles broader concepts like parenthood or love, he could definitely do it.

Tenet is probably the best example of a film where the protagonist did not necessarily have to be male. I mean, Nolan was essentially doing a Bond movie and the character probably had to be male to evoke that. But other than that, the character doesn't seem to be written with a specific background in mind.

Female-led horror film, please.

We know the Bond producers have sniffed around Nolan before. The timing was never right though, however the timing seems perfect now. They need a reboot and Nolan wants the job. I'm just curious how power would be divided up. Eon productions are the sole production company behind the 007 films, would they cede control over to Nolan and allow Syncopy to be credited. Alternatively, would Nolan essentially be taking he job as a 'director for hire'? Would Emma Thomas still get a producer credit or would she have to take a lesser title? How would the finances be divided up once the grosses have been counted up? The Bond producers are notoriously miserly. However, they did allow Daniel Craig to get a percentage of the gross on the last two 007 films.

That's purely the business argument, let alone the creative one. I think Nolan would know he is entering their machine and would probably accept he needs a co-writer to fit into the Eon paradigm. However, he likes a long shoot and a long post-production. Bond has a very long shoot followed by a very short post period. I just think there is too much of a culture clash between Eon and Syncopy for any progress to be made on a deal. There would need to be concessions on both sides. Plus, after the success of Oppenheimer does Nolan need Bond? They need him more now considering they have lost Daniel Craig.

I really don't want him to go to Bond tbh. Especially if it's a franchise, I don't want the next 10 years to be devoted to him making something similar to what he's done before and confined to a set of ideas. Even films like Oppenheimer and Dunkirk gave him a level of immense freedom that I don't see happening with Bond.

He's in a stride right now of original pictures and stories back to back to back that literally can't exist without him. Contrast that to the fact that Bond will exist with or without him.

Bacon wrote:
July 29th, 2023, 6:46 pm
I really don't want him to go to Bond tbh. Especially if it's a franchise, I don't want the next 10 years to be devoted to him making something similar to what he's done before and confined to a set of ideas. Even films like Oppenheimer and Dunkirk gave him a level of immense freedom that I don't see happening with Bond.

He's in a stride right now of original pictures and stories back to back to back that literally can't exist without him. Contrast that to the fact that Bond will exist with or without him.
Agreed with everything you said. I think Nolan has already done his fair share of bond tribute, specially with Tenet. I feel there is no need for him to do one and I hope he never does because I believe too many expectations are already part of a lot of people in terms of him directing a Bond movie which can be very dangerous.