Wally pfisster talks 3d

Wally Pfister and Hoyte van Hoytema
About 3D, I have a question: Do you (for those who live in US) still have the choice between 3D and 2D when you go at cinema, or are all the films only available in 3D?

Mahiya_Borden wrote:About 3D, I have a question: Do you (for those who live in US) still have the choice between 3D and 2D when you go at cinema, or are all the films only available in 3D?
Yeah, I have 2D and 3D options.

Crazy Eight wrote:
The so-called digital revolution is great. If you have no money and you want to shoot it on your Canon 5D -- fantastic. If that's the only way you can make the movie, great. But if we're putting movies up on a screen this size … we need to deliver the best image quality there.[/b] And there's nothing better than film.

Eh. I'd gamble that 99% of the population wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the image capture quality of the Arri ALEXA, vs. S35mm. I mean, Deakin's thinks it's even better then capturing on S35mm. Anamorphic, he's right, but the ALEXA still looks damn good and I'm willing to bet that, still, 99% of the population wouldn't be able to tell the difference when used by a good DP.

Point being, the digital revolution is happening and clumping camera's such as the ALEXA, EPIC, F35, and even further F65 (which will beat the pants off S35mm) together with DSLR's, is naive. But, Wally has changed his stance slightly since this interview.

Where has he said anything about a changed stance? I'm fascinated by whatever the man says, so I'm curious.

Where has he said anything about a changed stance? I'm fascinated by whatever the man says, so I'm curious.
Well, he's shot a documentary with the 5D Mark II since then, which he mentioned in the "Idea Jam" video, and was much less negative towards the device then he was in this interview. He even said that the camera can "capture a beutiful image". He's also mentioned in an interview (I believe it's posted somewhere in this forum), that many DP's feel as though the ALEXA is the best digital device. So, even though he's still 100% film in terms of features, he seems less ignorant of digital technology as of late, then back when this interview was conducted and he was still harping on the poor performance of the digital high speed camera used on Inception.

^ Just out of curiosity, do you know where the article is? I would like to read it, curious cause I've always wondered about them shooting those shots digitally. Never remember reading an article where they talked about it.

movieman1005 wrote:^ Just out of curiosity, do you know where the article is? I would like to read it, curious cause I've always wondered about them shooting those shots digitally. Never remember reading an article where they talked about it.
http://www.nolanfans.com/forums/viewtop ... =23&t=5251

I don't believe any of the digital slow motion shots made it into the final cut of the film.

I never saw this, thanks! Interesting, I always thought all the slow mo was digital, seems possibly the opposite