Person of Interest (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
GeneMod wrote:Fisher had this to say about
the death of Jeff Blackwell
That's pretty deep. It's characters like his, & themes like what the season had, that makes me wish they had a few more episodes this year. 16-18 would've been sufficient to cover all of them perfectly. But reality is, they made the most with what they had (despite certain edicts from the network), & that's good enough for me.

Also, as part of the montage pertaining to people dying alone in the beginning, we see an old lady dead in a hospital bed, whose hand 'The Machine' cups. It may've been a random person (much like the guy dead in the street), but Can't help wondering if that's Root mother. They showed Reese's father, & touched upon Finch's dad as well as his relationship with Grace, so this is something that crossed my mind. Think they left it open to interpretation.

From the TVTropes Recap. While doing press rounds for [url=http://www,movieweb.com/jonathan-nolan-on-writing-the-prestige/]The Prestige[/url], Jonah indicated that while working with his brother, he comes up with 'a script that's complicated, I'll give it to him and it comes back twice as complicated.'

Don't want to imagine how Chris would've done this. :shock: :twisted: :lol:

LaToya Ferguson killed it with her review. It's honestly the best POI review i've ever read.
http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/moment-tru ... ode-238603

Also a really good break down, from the review, about Jeff Blackwell's final scene:
Then there’s Jeff Blackwell, who as far as happy endings go, really doesn’t deserve one. And it’s his own damn fault. Honestly, up until Root’s death—and even still somewhat then—everything about his character screamed the typical redemption story where he realizes just how badly he messed up by getting involved with Samaritan. The fact that it actually doesn’t happen feels like a waste in some ways, but at the same time, as I mentioned last week, “choice” is so important in the grand scheme of things in Person Of Interest. While it may be expected for him to eventually make the right choice simply because of television conventions, that’s not how things always go down. Even our heroes don’t always make the right choices, so why should characters who haven’t been as far down the rabbit hole? The entire point is that they make a choice, and they have to live (or die) with the consequences of that; Jeff’s patronizing attempt to reason with Shaw about how her friends wouldn’t want her to make the choice of killing him shows his fundamental misunderstanding of that. Because it’s not always about making the right choice or the good choice: It’s simply about making any choice and accepting the consequences of that. The difference between Shaw and Jeff at the end of the day is that Jeff is still content with not owning up to his choices (“It was a job. Nothing personal.”), while Shaw has long moved past that because of Team Machine. Doesn’t mean she won’t kill him, it just means she knows she has to live with that.
Also, the final paragraph of the review is gold:
Oh, and one more thing, just because I’ll probably never get to say it otherwise: Fuck Samaritan.
:lol:

The password for the virus was Dashwood
any of you guys think it is somekind of reference to anything?

karthiksac wrote:The password for the virus was Dashwood
any of you guys think it is somekind of reference to anything?
The family name in the Jane Austen novel Sense & Sensibility. Finch used the book while proposing to Grace in Zero Day, & Shaw is seen leafing through it in Root's 'room' in the Subway, earlier in the episode.

The tombstone shown in the end was marked with the death-date 'November 13'. There's some significance to that.

S3's Endgame, begins in medias res on November 11, 2003, before jumping back a day before. The episode closes with Reese & Carter taking Quinn into custody in the late hours of that night. The Crossing starts on November 12, & in that morning, Joss gets the HR boss into custody. The next day, is when she secures John's release... and THAT happens.

Think the grave wasn't intended to be John's though. If it was his, & as it was marked 'November', the year 2015 would've been shown as well, but the MPOV shots from .exe, indicated it's 2016 (the bit where Reese tells Fusco about The Machine). There's a small continuity error in Synecdoche, where Shaw's White House party invite says November 8, 2015 (which is kinda odd, as Finch indicates in the previous episode that he was in the same restaurant as his first date with Grace, ten years to the day, which was around January 2006, if I'm right).

I'm inclined to believe the characters & AI surveillance graphics are accurate, than certain props themselves (cause those are often made on a rush, & can't be changed easily once they're made; they can be in post, but it doesn't really matter).

Think it was just meant to be a general tribute to heroes. Not in particular to Reese (especially since the birthdate was marked 'May 4', when we know it's 'May 1').

From the DVD Featurette.

http://murderinlaws.tumblr.com/post/146 ... n-nolan-on
Last edited by ChrisTilford on June 23rd, 2016, 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

My understanding as to how The Machine was able to exterminate Samaritan in that Russian Satellite: Those defensive capabilities that Root hard-coded into her, before she died. Essentially arming her to be as lethal as her competitor. And since that copy of her remained in that satellite (much like what SAM intended to do so) it was in a state of gestation, until the Ice-9 virus was extinguished a week later. Those GPU blades that Finch & Reese stole in SNAFU, the 'central nervous system' of TM, was unaffected from the assault of Blackwell's team (though the core heuristics in the PS3s in the Subway Car are pretty much gone). That computer which downloads the heuristic data from the satellite is shown hooked into those server blades, & thus The Machine's copy successor can function at full capacity.

Any idea what Samaritan may've done with Root's body after they got out the cochlear implant? I'd like to think it's kept in suspended animation, if SAM was looking to physically embody itself in her image. Since that AI is destroyed, & if this still remains, Shaw & crew can still find it, & through the Thornhill Corporation or IFT or any organization on TM's payroll (or even Samaritan's for that matter), can sorta anthropomorphize The Machine in her image as well. A few cybernetic upgrades here & there, and that body'd be indestructible (or can fix itself in the event of damage). They could probably do this in the spin-off which is set 20 minutes into the future, as opposed to 5.

EPIC Breakdown on how The Machine could beat Samaritan.

Courtesy of 'workingonmoviemaps'.

GUYS! :D So glad i can finally post, my internet has had issue out of the ass now since the finale aired. I watched it three times full, the day it aired on Tuesday, yesterday on Wednesday, and today one more time...

Master fucking piece. The perfect ending to my favorite drama of all time. I see Fowler went 10 and Av Club went A. I started tearing up before the opening. I can't sit here and describe everything that happened but i must say, for what this series has given us over five amazing seasons... this Series ender was marvelous in its execution of everything it needed to do and more.

It was the perfect blend of Tragedy and Hope, almost every user review on imdb you won't find one bad post ( except two ). Sadly the idiots on the actual board acted like it let them down. I can't stand people like that. Easily in my top 5 POI episodes ever and will stay that way.

Oh and Blackwell... take that you fucker. Felt so good Sameen smoked his ass. Root and Shaw will always be my favorite tv relationship ever :cry: respect chris fishers comment but i respectfully disagree, im more with Latoya of Av Club on that one ( as well as every Root and Shaw fan out there ). While most of Season 5 performance wise was lead by Amy, Sarah, and Michael. Jim brought it in Return 0. I personally might give my overall season MVP to Sarah, Amy and Michael are there with her in the hunt.

But the Hero award goes to John and Root aka Team Rocket... its safe to say John and Root's sacrifice are the reasons Harold got to actually escape the Series alive ( 5x10 and 5x13 ) and the Beginning and finale of Samaritans downfall wouldn't have been possible. I read some comments that some people feel Finch got off to easy coming face to face with Grace at the end ( at the cost of Root and John who didn't get happy endings like some fans felt they deserved. Thats just one of those things where your left by the writers to decide how you view Finch imo. Im not saying people hated Michael ( Obviously his acting was to be praised 20x over ) but the Harold Finch character might have been the most polarizing character this seasons ( which is wild given how beloved he was in earlier seasons ). Like i side part of me feels like this was purposely done by the writers which is actually smart, Harold's character in terms of his thinking and actions with or without other characters this season had people split. I can see it from both sides just like the Root and Shaw thing from 5x10.

Sure. Everyone dies alone. But if you mean something to someone, if you help someone, or love someone. If even a single person remembers you. Then maybe, you never really die at all.
Ya know what? That random cop, who said the above quote, is the real MVP of the episode. His final lines is arguably why finale so much more emotional - not that the finale wasn't emotional beforehand - and why The Machine understands love and loss.

Also, Djawadi nailed the music during Blackwell's final scene (that rendition of Shaw's theme was weirdly unsettling), and the ending of the finale.