Nolan's Favorites

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.

The works of Jorge Luis Borges were also a major inspiration to Nolan in Inception.

MiracleSleeper wrote: Terrence Malick: Director of Thin Red Line, The New World, Tree of Life
This video is pretty good.
Do you... like pineapple?

jibran wrote:
MiracleSleeper wrote: Terrence Malick: Director of Thin Red Line, The New World, Tree of Life
This video is pretty good.
I've said this quite a few times when someone shows that video:

David Fincher: The Holy Spirit
Terrence Malick: Jesus
Christopher Nolan: God

dadosaboya wrote:In the 80's, Alan Parker was one of my favorites and Angel Heart is one of the best supernatural thrillers of all time. Now that Nolan mentioned it, looking back at it, the non-linear narrative structure was one of the high points of the film,
subliminally showing us that Harold Angel's part in the mystery goes further down.
Lenny's suit is most definitely a nod to the suit worn by Harry Angel :)
Such a great and dark noir, I need to order it on BluRay right now.

Nolan has superb taste.

BlairCo wrote: I've said this quite a few times when someone shows that video:

David Fincher: The Holy Spirit
Terrence Malick: Jesus
Christopher Nolan: God
:lol:

dadosaboya wrote:Image

The works of Jorge Luis Borges were also a major inspiration to Nolan in Inception.
Hmm...never heard of him before. I should make a note to read some of his works.

“Regarding the tone of The Prestige, generally, in the script stage, when we were trying to figure out how to sell the film to a studio, it's like what story paradigm is it? Are very few sort of two-hander story paradigms? The Sting is one of them. There are others where there's no good guy, bad guy, so it's very tricky. I mean, Michael Mann's Heat is another one, actually, in a completely different direction. They do exist, but they're few and far between. The Sting is quite a close one. Sleuth is another one.”

Nolan stated his intention to reinvent the Batman film franchise by "doing the origins story of the character, which is a story that's never been told before with humanity and realism. The world of Batman is that of grounded reality. It will be a recognizable, contemporary reality against which an extraordinary heroic figure arises." Nolan felt the previous films were exercises in style rather than drama, and described his inspiration as being Richard Donner's Superman (1978), in its focus on depicting the character's growth.

Nolan's personal "jumping off point" of inspiration was Batman: The Man Who Falls, a short story by Denny O'Neil and Dick Giordano about Bruce's travels throughout the world. The early scene in Batman Begins of young Bruce Wayne falling into a well was adapted from The Man Who Falls, as well as his journey through the orient.

Batman: The Long Halloween (Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale), also influenced the screenplay, with the villain Carmine Falcone as one of many elements which were drawn from Halloween's "sober, serious approach". The vacancy of Bruce Wayne's multi-year absence presented in Batman: Year One (Frank Miller) was used to set up some of the film's events in the transpiring years. In addition, Gordon's character was based on his comic book incarnation as seen in Year One. Batman Begins also used Miller's Year One plot device, which was about a corrupt police force that led to Gordon and Gotham City's need for Batman.

"Superheroes fill a gap in the pop culture psyche, similar to the role of Greek mythology. There isn't really anything else that does the job in modern terms. For me, Batman is the one that can most clearly be taken seriously. He's not from another planet, or filled with radioactive gunk. I mean, Superman is essentially a god, but Batman is more like Hercules: he's a human being, very flawed, and bridges the divide. I have always been a big fan of the character. There is always something about the character of Batman that is very elemental. There is a great, powerful myth to the character and romantic element that draws from a lot of literary sources."