Favorite Christopher Nolan Film

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.

What's your favorite Nolan film?

Following
1%
Memento
20%
Insomnia
1%
Batman Begins
1%
The Prestige
17%
The Dark Knight
23%
Inception
17%
The Dark Knight Rises
20%

Total votes: 82

TehBatGetsBraked wrote:
Skyab23 wrote:
Just got back and rewatch Nolan's films and tell me if you think the editing and pacing in TDKR is on par with the others. And I'm not even going to get into the sloppiness of the script (John Blake just looks at Bruce and can tell he's Batman, REALLY?). Ok, had to get one shot in there.
How does everything somehow always go right for the Joker? How did Dent even function at all w.o. meds post injury? The "kicks" in inception are very questionable. The last half of BB is not nearly as good as the first half. Each film has its noticeable flaws :roll:
I could go through each of those but we'd be running in circles but I'll go back to the real glaring issue of TDKR. The editing. It rushes through everything. It doesn't let any scene breathe...the only one I can think of is the Bruce/Alfred scene before Alfred leaves...and that was the best scene in the film IMO.

There are plenty of scenes in TDK and Batman Begins that let the camera linger so that the audience can get the full effect...in TDKR it is always in a hurry to get to the next scene. Look at the Batman scene where he sits perched atop the building looking down at Gotham...it stays on that scene for a mere 5 seconds...what about the beautiful shot of Catwoman on the batpod while the sun is barely visible in the foreground...the camera cuts almost immediately.

Skyab23 wrote:
TehBatGetsBraked wrote:
How does everything somehow always go right for the Joker? How did Dent even function at all w.o. meds post injury? The "kicks" in inception are very questionable. The last half of BB is not nearly as good as the first half. Each film has its noticeable flaws :roll:
I could go through each of those but we'd be running in circles but I'll go back to the real glaring issue of TDKR. The editing. It rushes through everything. It doesn't let any scene breathe...the only one I can think of is the Bruce/Alfred scene before Alfred leaves...and that was the best scene in the film IMO.

There are plenty of scenes in TDK and Batman Begins that let the camera linger so that the audience can get the full effect...in TDKR it is always in a hurry to get to the next scene. Look at the Batman scene where he sits perched atop the building looking down at Gotham...it stays on that scene for a mere 5 seconds...what about the beautiful shot of Catwoman on the batpod while the sun is barely visible in the foreground...the camera cuts almost immediately.
:facepalm: not even going to argue
Sigs???

Forum Pro
Law
Skyab23 wrote:
TehBatGetsBraked wrote:

maybe you should film the next batman movie

Law_of_4 wrote:
Skyab23 wrote:

maybe you should film the next batman movie
No I would do a terrible job compared to Nolan, just simply comparing the editing techniques of TDKR to Nolan's other films.

I agree with the two shots he mentioned, I wanted both of those to be longer. The catwoman shot should have been similar to Joker in police car, and let the audience fully take in the beauty of the scene.

I think since TDKR had so much going on they kinda had to edit it like that. It is also my one complaint. But as it is the film is almost three hours.. and I wouldn't want anything cut out. So we just kinda have to deal.
Say Girl

Forum Pro
Law
Honestly though Nolan' s biggest flaw is not holding a shot.

Law_of_4 wrote:Honestly though Nolan' s biggest flaw is not holding a shot.
The one that stands out the most to me is when Bane walks into the stock exchange. The camera pans down to show Bane and before it shows him take like two steps it cuts away. I wanted that shot to be a few seconds longer. That's the only shot I ever really wanted Nolan to hold and he didn't :(
Say Girl

Law_of_4 wrote:Honestly though Nolan' s biggest flaw is not holding a shot.
True, and while Nolan's film catalogue is my favorite of any director, I still think there are better pure "directors" out there, such as the Coen Brothers and David Fincher.

1. TDKR
2. Inception
3. TDK
4. Memento
5. The Prestige
6. Batman Begins
7. Following
8. Insomnia