Rank all of Nolan's films

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
Here's to hoping love doesn't transcend space and time, so that Nolan could get back to making great movies once again.
This is an example of when you cross that perilously thin line of critical opinion and outright trolling. I did laugh though.

1. Inception
  2. The Dark Knight
  3. The Dark Knight Rises
  4. Memento
  5. Batman Begins
  6. The Prestige
  7. Insomnia
  8. The Following
  9. Interstellar
Not a bad list; our top two are the same films. However, Rises has pretty much the exact same issues as Interstellar except that there are bigger "plot holes" and some much more glaringly uneven editing moments. I love The Dark Knight Rises as well but it's difficult to convince me (outside of one being a massive Batman fan, a genre hater, or a hater of a specific actor within the film) that one would love that film but hate Interstellar.

I've shifted my thoughts since my last post here, after watching all of them again plus Interstellar.

1) Interstellar
2) The Prestige
3) The Dark Knight
4) The Dark Knight Rises
5) Batman Begins
6) Inception
7) Insomnia
8) Memento
9) Following

And just for fun, ranked by quality of score:

1) Interstellar
2) Inception
3) The Dark Knight Rises
4) The Prestige
5) Batman Begins
6) The Dark Knight
7) Insomnia
8) Memento
9) Following

Addicted2Movies wrote: Not a bad list; our top two are the same films. However, Rises has pretty much the exact same issues as Interstellar except that there are bigger "plot holes" and some much more glaringly uneven editing moments. I love The Dark Knight Rises as well but it's difficult to convince me (outside of one being a massive Batman fan, a genre hater, or a hater of a specific actor within the film) that one would love that film but hate Interstellar.
TDKR had a lot of issues, but the beauty of it is that when I was watching it in cinema - I didn't notice any issues, because the experience was awesome and rewarding. The emotions and sentimentality were there, some lines in dialog was very fucking memorable and awesome, I even teared up a bit at the end. I mean, "A hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat on a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended." -- this punched me right to the heart, the scene editing and music, it had it all. It was a very satisfying ending to a very satisfying trilogy about a rich dude in a bat suit who wants to do some good.

Now, I don't hate Interstellar. I just find it a very weak movie in Nolan's portfolio. What really irks and bothers me in Interstellar is mostly character development, character motivations, dialog, how the theme of 'love' is handled in the movie etc etc. I didn't feel any magic. I didn't see true emotions. All I saw is sentimentality shoved to my throat in every 3rd scene, but it wasn't backed by the needed weight it was supposed to (again, script, editing, music all play a role here). There wasn't enough adventure in space. Space wasn't as dramatic as I'd hoped it would be. And should be. I mean, look at how the characters react before going into the wormhole. There's no awe in their eyes. I felt that the majority of focus was put on the emotional story between father and daughter, and space was there as an addition.

Anyway. One can love TDKR and dislike Interstellar.

1 Interstellar
2 Inception
3 The Dark Knight
4 Memento
5 The Prestige
6 Batman Begins
7 The Dark Knight Rises
8 Insomnia
9 Following

Now that I've seen Interstellar..............

1. Memento
2. Interstellar
3. Inception
4. The Dark Knight
5. The Dark Knight Rises
6. Batman Begins
7. The Prestige
8. Following
9. Insomnia

1. Interstellar
2. Prestige
3. Inception
4. The Dark Knight Trilogy (as a whole, can't seperate them)
5. Memento
6. Insomnia
7. Following

1. Interstellar
2. Inception
3. The Dark Knight
4. The Prestige
5. The Dark Knight Rises
6. Memento
7. Batman Begins

8. Insomnia
9. Following

Demo wrote:
Addicted2Movies wrote: Not a bad list; our top two are the same films. However, Rises has pretty much the exact same issues as Interstellar except that there are bigger "plot holes" and some much more glaringly uneven editing moments. I love The Dark Knight Rises as well but it's difficult to convince me (outside of one being a massive Batman fan, a genre hater, or a hater of a specific actor within the film) that one would love that film but hate Interstellar.
TDKR had a lot of issues, but the beauty of it is that when I was watching it in cinema - I didn't notice any issues, because the experience was awesome and rewarding. The emotions and sentimentality were there, some lines in dialog was very fucking memorable and awesome, I even teared up a bit at the end. I mean, "A hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat on a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended." -- this punched me right to the heart, the scene editing and music, it had it all. It was a very satisfying ending to a very satisfying trilogy about a rich dude in a bat suit who wants to do some good.

Now, I don't hate Interstellar. I just find it a very weak movie in Nolan's portfolio. What really irks and bothers me in Interstellar is mostly character development, character motivations, dialog, how the theme of 'love' is handled in the movie etc etc. I didn't feel any magic. I didn't see true emotions. All I saw is sentimentality shoved to my throat in every 3rd scene, but it wasn't backed by the needed weight it was supposed to (again, script, editing, music all play a role here). There wasn't enough adventure in space. Space wasn't as dramatic as I'd hoped it would be. And should be. I mean, look at how the characters react before going into the wormhole. There's no awe in their eyes. I felt that the majority of focus was put on the emotional story between father and daughter, and space was there as an addition.

Anyway. One can love TDKR and dislike Interstellar.
No doubt there can be more love for one over the other, but what Addicted stated is largely correct: the issues that plagued TDKR according to critics of that film were largely editing and transition related, and that is a consistent criticism for Interstellar as well. Both are my two least favorite Nolan films, for those reasons. There doesn't seem to be a laser-like focus that was present during Nolan's earlier films, particularly in regards to the editing decisions.

i wrote this elsewhere, but let's do some visual scaling:

1. interstellar
|
2. inception
3. dark knight
4. dark knight rises
|
| [this is roughly the cutoff for "top films of all time"]
|
5. memento
|
|