Rank all of Nolan's films

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
I've come to realize it's really fucking hard to rank his shit and for that reason, I'll probably stop.

That's a good problem to have if you're a filmmaker.

The Prestige
The Dark Knight
Batman Begins
Inception
Memento
Dark Knight Rises
Interstellar
Insomnia
Following
Doodlebug
The Dog
Batman Begins 2: Here we go Again

I was attempting to make a bad joke. I was intentionally acting outraged over the least controversial aspects of a highly controversial list. Humor settings at 0%.

ChristNolan wrote:I've come to realize it's really fucking hard to rank his shit and for that reason, I'll probably stop.
Yeah, i agree. It's just too damn hard to think of all of Nolan's films and rank them.

Addicted2Movies wrote:I was attempting to make a bad joke. I was intentionally acting outraged over the least controversial aspects of a highly controversial list. Humor settings at 0%.
Lmao sorry :lol:

Cilogy wrote:shit is moving down, but I still haven't had a second viewing

1. TDKR
2. The Prestige
3. Interstellar
4. TDK
5. Inception
6. Batman Begins
7. Memento
8. Insomnia
9. Following
I wonder whose list is more out-of-the-norm, yours or mine? You have TDKR at 1 and Memento at 7. I have TDKR at 9 and Memento at 2. I love diversity. ;)

After letting the film sit in my mind a few days to try and let my initial reaction simmer down I think I've got my list figured out somewhat:

1. The Dark Knight
2. Inception
3. Interstellar
4. Memento
5. The Dark Knight Rises
6. The Prestige
7. Batman Begins
8. Following
9. Insomnia

3 through 6 are probably the ones most likely to shift around with time. I'm close to certain though that The Dark Knight and Inception are still Nolan's best films.

Addicted2Movies wrote:After letting the film sit in my mind a few days to try and let my initial reaction simmer down I think I've got my list figured out somewhat:

1. The Dark Knight
2. Inception
3. Interstellar
4. Memento
5. The Dark Knight Rises
6. The Prestige
7. Batman Begins
8. Following
9. Insomnia

3 through 6 are probably the ones most likely to shift around with time. I'm close to certain though that The Dark Knight and Inception are still Nolan's best films.
This is a random thought but, I look at Memento and The Prestige, and those films feel like a different Christopher Nolan to me. It's almost as if I couldn't imagine him making those types of movies anymore. It's almost as if 1999-2005 Nolan is an entirely different filmmaker, in style, execution, etc, than the one we have today.

Skyab23 wrote:
Addicted2Movies wrote:After letting the film sit in my mind a few days to try and let my initial reaction simmer down I think I've got my list figured out somewhat:

1. The Dark Knight
2. Inception
3. Interstellar
4. Memento
5. The Dark Knight Rises
6. The Prestige
7. Batman Begins
8. Following
9. Insomnia

This is a random thought but, I look at Memento and The Prestige, and those films feel like a different Christopher Nolan to me. It's almost as if I couldn't imagine him making those types of movies anymore. It's almost as if 1999-2005 Nolan is an entirely different filmmaker, in style, execution, etc, than the one we have today.
I definitely agree with a lot of that. I think the consistency within his films is still there through his trademark themes. I also think his editing style has remained consistent, it's more that his confidence with narrative has changed. In the beginning I think he was more restrained when incorporating his editing into his storytelling. While Memento and The Prestige are fantastic examples of nonlinear storytelling, the narratives aren't necessarily hugely ambitious so it's really the editing that creates the complexity. However with Inception, Interstellar, and The Dark Knight Rises the editing remains fairly complex but the ambition is arguably now showing over confidence in his storytelling. The editing remains similar but the narrative is more complex. I also think that the attitudes reflected in his films have changed greatly; especially in his last two films. Nolan seems to be much more optimistic lately. I know he mentioned he was now making his films for his children as opposed to for himself. This is all just my meaningless speculation obviously.

1. Inception
  2. The Dark Knight
  3. The Dark Knight Rises
  4. Memento
  5. Batman Begins
  6. The Prestige
  7. Insomnia
  8. The Following
  9. Interstellar
I really hope Nolan's stumble (Interstellar) is not the start of a new trend going forward. Here's to hoping love doesn't transcend space and time, so that Nolan could get back to making great movies once again.