Star Wars Universe Discussion Thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
So I have a question for Star Wars fans: Darth Vader is a space Nazi who commits genocide and murders children without remorse. Why do so many people (including children) want to dress up like that fascist? And more importantly, why should we care about Anakin in shows like Star Wars The Clone Wars? Even if the character seemingly turns around in ROTJ it's just to save his own child, not to save the universe. That's still very selfish. Anakin, as shown in the Prequels even thinks like an authoritarian emo kid a lot of the time waaayyy before he officially turns to the Dark Side. He also feels justified murdering the Sand people (again, he murders women and children). To me it's a bit of a problem when people say 'oh here's Vader killing a bunch of nameless guys in Rogue One, he's so cool as he chokes people to death and swings his lightsaber around'. That should be creepy. Shouldn't the films actually address the kind of suffering he inflicts on others instead of either a) exclusively focusing on his emotional state or b) glossing over the fact that people are suffering at the hands of this guy? Why should we feel sad for this guy when he burns on Mustafar and why does the decision to throw the Emperor down a shaft change anything about any of his past actions?

Batfan175 wrote:Why should we feel sad for this guy when he burns on Mustafar and why does the decision to throw the Emperor down a shaft change anything about any of his past actions?
I think you're missing the point of this character.
Answer 1: We shouldn't. We should feel sad because he was supposed to be the chosen one and EVERYTHING went wrong. We're supposed to be sad for the state of the galaxy and not for Anakin. In that scene we actualy should feel glad Obi Wan won that fight.
Answer 2: Again, it doesn't. It does for Luke, he got his father back, no matter what monster he was. But in the eye of the galaxy, Vader is still the monster he was. As for the audience. I don't know really. I think he just was an awesome villain, you wanted to turn good due to Luke.
As for why we cheer for him killing guys in Rogue One? Just look at Jason Voorhees, Freddy Krueger or Hannibal Lecter. We love great bad guys. We know what they're doing is terrible, but it still can be awesome.

Batfan175 wrote:So I have a question for Star Wars fans: Darth Vader is a space Nazi who commits genocide and murders children without remorse. Why do so many people (including children) want to dress up like that fascist? And more importantly, why should we care about Anakin in shows like Star Wars The Clone Wars? Even if the character seemingly turns around in ROTJ it's just to save his own child, not to save the universe. That's still very selfish. Anakin, as shown in the Prequels even thinks like an authoritarian emo kid a lot of the time waaayyy before he officially turns to the Dark Side. He also feels justified murdering the Sand people (again, he murders women and children). To me it's a bit of a problem when people say 'oh here's Vader killing a bunch of nameless guys in Rogue One, he's so cool as he chokes people to death and swings his lightsaber around'. That should be creepy. Shouldn't the films actually address the kind of suffering he inflicts on others instead of either a) exclusively focusing on his emotional state or b) glossing over the fact that people are suffering at the hands of this guy? Why should we feel sad for this guy when he burns on Mustafar and why does the decision to throw the Emperor down a shaft change anything about any of his past actions?
Because it's a movie.

Batfan175 wrote:So I have a question for Star Wars fans: Darth Vader is a space Nazi who commits genocide and murders children without remorse. Why do so many people (including children) want to dress up like that fascist? And more importantly, why should we care about Anakin in shows like Star Wars The Clone Wars? Even if the character seemingly turns around in ROTJ it's just to save his own child, not to save the universe. That's still very selfish. Anakin, as shown in the Prequels even thinks like an authoritarian emo kid a lot of the time waaayyy before he officially turns to the Dark Side. He also feels justified murdering the Sand people (again, he murders women and children). To me it's a bit of a problem when people say 'oh here's Vader killing a bunch of nameless guys in Rogue One, he's so cool as he chokes people to death and swings his lightsaber around'. That should be creepy. Shouldn't the films actually address the kind of suffering he inflicts on others instead of either a) exclusively focusing on his emotional state or b) glossing over the fact that people are suffering at the hands of this guy? Why should we feel sad for this guy when he burns on Mustafar and why does the decision to throw the Emperor down a shaft change anything about any of his past actions?

bad guys are cool and they wear black so we like them more

LelekPL wrote:
Batfan175 wrote:Why should we feel sad for this guy when he burns on Mustafar and why does the decision to throw the Emperor down a shaft change anything about any of his past actions?
I think you're missing the point of this character.
Answer 1: We shouldn't. We should feel sad because he was supposed to be the chosen one and EVERYTHING went wrong. We're supposed to be sad for the state of the galaxy and not for Anakin. In that scene we actualy should feel glad Obi Wan won that fight.
Answer 2: Again, it doesn't. It does for Luke, he got his father back, no matter what monster he was. But in the eye of the galaxy, Vader is still the monster he was. As for the audience. I don't know really. I think he just was an awesome villain, you wanted to turn good due to Luke.
As for why we cheer for him killing guys in Rogue One? Just look at Jason Voorhees, Freddy Krueger or Hannibal Lecter. We love great bad guys. We know what they're doing is terrible, but it still can be awesome.

Thanks for making all these excellent points.

I must confess, I had never seen a Star Wars movie until last year, when I watched The Force Awakens. Don't ask me how I managed to unintentionally avoid Star Wars for so long. :lol: I plan on seeing The Last Jedi a week from now, and in preparation I watched all of the older ones. The other one I'm still missing is Rogue One. This is my ranking/rating so far:

1. The Empire Strikes Back - 9/10
2. A New Hope - 8.5/10
3. The Force Awakens - 8/10
4. The Return of the Jedi - 7/10
5. Revenge of the Sith - 6.5/10
6. Attack of the Clones - 5/10
7. The Phantom Menace - 4.5/10

Oku
What Cilogy actually is saying: "If all of this stopped, even if I were dead, I'd miss it...and I'd miss you."

Two options...

a) you’re real... so my question is WHY?
b) you’re one of NF’s past treasures and this is all just a big exercise in trolling for you... so, again, my question is WHY?