Diary: A NolanFans Story

A place for interesting and non-interesting thread ideas.

Whataboutism, also known as whataboutery, is a variant of the tu quoque logical fallacy that attempts to discredit an opponent's position by charging them with hypocrisy without directly refuting or disproving their argument.
That's the key part right there.

i'm not sure why you posted then

charging them with hypocrisy

but you just said you agree

No, I said I've already directly refuted or disproved their argument. Now I'm doing the other thing.

yeah except you neither refuted nor disproved their arguments

i did see a shit ton of whataboutism, which is rarely a good look.

Fact#1: Disney has never made a statement condoning the actions of China's government in Hong Kong, therefor they can not possibly be blamed for that.

Fact#2: It's completely within someone's right to separate politics from their business, when the said business is not causing harm to others. What China is doing, is horrible, Disney can not possibly do anything about that. Them distributing movies in China or not, has zero effect on the state of things. But if they don't, it will lose them a fortune and cause a loss of jobs for many people who need it.

Fact#3: You people only care about this thing because it's Disney. That's not whataboutism. That's pointing out why this meaningless discussion is even a thing. You don't give a shit that Nolan has made a fortune from China. Oh, no.

You don't care about the fact that US and Europe have all been involved in numerous war crimes. You don't care about the facts, and what is really right. You only see some groups attacking Disney for sth, and oh boy, does it feel good to get on board.

Disney really doesn't need to condone China's actions to be complicit. Because it's not about Disney distributing any random movie in China, but making a movie that is explicitly tailored to that market and feels like an active appeasement. And this movie coming from Disney makes it worse, because they're the biggest media conglomerate in the world and not just any company. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't criticise it if some other company had made it. I'm not a Disney hater.
And while it's true the west has committed war crimes in the past, China is putting their people in literal concentration camps right now. While a company like Disney can't do much about existing in the US, they can still choose whether to appease to China like that or not. Maybe you're right and it wouldn't change anything really, but for me it's also about morals and the message it sends. Or otherwise you could also defend companies doing business with Nazi Germany back then because of some jobs.
shit what I am doing
I should go back to trolling

Hello, I came back to say one thing
corporations are not your fucking friends and they don't NEED you to defend them.
I say this as a the bitch who watched nothing but Disney animated movies for two weeks while recovering.

okay bye