Diary: A NolanFans Story

A place for interesting and non-interesting thread ideas.
Tbf, I don’t really agree with Geoffrey, but there’s a point to be made about not being able to fully judge “yesterday” by “tomorrow’s” standarts. You can’t really deem something immoral from the time those morals/point of view didn’t really exist yet.

HOWEVER, I don’t think it can be applied to African American slavery of the past centuries though. I’d argue slavers definitely understood what they were doing was wrong, despite the continuous dehumanization they used to make it seem less wrong - that in itself serves to prove the horrendousness of such acts if there needed to be elaborate efforts to normalize it. Also, there was growing opposition and criticism of slavery even back then. Of course you cannot expect a white man in the north to have a 2019 version of social justice embedded in his mindset, but slavery was definitely increasingly understood as horrible. Otherwise nobody would’ve fought it and it would still exist. Actually, modern slavery does exist even today. Would you argue modern slavers cannot be fully judged morally for their views because their surroundings have shaped them to not see this as ethically wrong? This discussion is absolutely more complex, and when talking history, context is always key, but even the context tells you forced abuse and exploitation had already been seen as “wrong” for some time at that point.

I’d say this argument is more applicable when we’re talking slavery a few millenia ago, not the 1800s lol. People back in Ancient Rome certainly couldn’t have really thought abusing your “property” was immoral. A human life as a whole was overall not as valued. So while it’s difficult to stomach, we can’t possibly impose our moral understanding upon people who have been dead for almost 2k years. We’re always progressing forward. So why is Julius Caesar being brought as an example here? You’re using an example of a person from a few thousand years ago from a non existant republic to support your argument that statues of someone like Lee shouldn’t be removed? This is frankly a stupid argument if I may even say so. Caesar isn’t revered solely for committing atrocities in Gaul. It’s pretty reductionist to reduce the Gallic conflict to mere “Caesar went to Gaul, killed and sold people into slavery just cuz” just to help your straw argument hold water. Neither Roman Republic nor the Empire exist anymore, they haven’t existed for basically 1.5k years. No one is using statues, or other historical artifacts of Caesar or anyone else from those times as means to worship them and take inspo from them, unlike, you know, the tiki torch bearing supremacists who’re quaking at the idea of a reminder of someone they “admire” go down because that part of history is hurtful and it helps normalize and encourage those who still hold those views. No one is erasing that part of history. It just doesn’t belong at a public square for everyone to admire.

This shit is pretty clever, I’ll give you that though. But we’re not idiots here and this shit isn’t going to slide just because you are hiding under the pretense of wanting a respectful conversation.

We had homophobic and pro-slavery commentary round here for the past week or so and it’s starting to feel just a step too close towards actual hate commentary and what the fuck are we even doing round here if the word spinning is enough to persuade some of us into quoting & commenting said individuals. Seriously, what the fuck, NolanFans? This is worse than us married forum couples bickering cause it’s actual real world stuff.

If you follow the norms of the society like a sheep even when they are immoral, you have only yourself to blame and no one else. Facts are easy to see by someone who actually gives a fuck to be a decent human being.

It was hard for people to understand that black people or women are not lesser than white men and therefor not deserving to have the similar privileges? Then they were closing their minds to facts and their conscience and are absolutely deserving of today's judgment no matter what era they were living.

You don't get away with doing horrendous things simply because you were taught that it was OK and you accepted it like a moron.

Men in general though, it's not only in mostly caucasian countries that people of other ethnicities and women are having a tougher time.
For instance, women in Japan don't have as much to say as the men. Hell, they even have specific all-women trains/metros and advice women not to travel in certain hours of the day because men are more rude to them. Instead of teaching men to not touch women without their consent etc. I mean wtf

Ruth wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 9:00 am
Tbf, I don’t really agree with Geoffrey, but there’s a point to be made about not being able to fully judge “yesterday” by “tomorrow’s” standarts. You can’t really deem something immoral from the time those morals/point of view didn’t really exist yet.

This shit is pretty clever, I’ll give you that though. But we’re not idiots here and this shit isn’t going to slide just because you are hiding under the pretense of wanting a respectful conversation.
When did I say I wanted a conversation? I debunked Virgo's bogus claims. What I want is for Master Virgo to stop incessantly lying and recurring off-topic discussion.

What exactly is clever about what I said? You think I brought this up? I never had an inkling of desire to argue about two-year-old posts I forgot about. I know Virgo is probably your friend, so you might not want to realize, but he's the one that has persistently mentioned this immaterial topic. What's funny is that after all this time, your one comment has contained more criticsm and logic than anything Virgo has contributed.

And like you clearly summarized, I feel Julius Caesar statues—which admittedly aren't the best example—are equivalent to statues of Confederate leaders. You object and call this a false equivalence. Master Virgo instead says nothing except "RACIST!" at the top of his lungs.
I'm not racist.
If you want to discuss this further, I absolutely can, but it's probably in the best interest to move on. I could respond with my own essay but the end of your post seems to assume the worst and imply that if I do defend my views, I will be censored. Great.

What is it about you guys who always cry “censorship” when someone takes the time to object you? Do you genuinely believe I’d be wasting my time responding to any of you if I wanted to “censor” you?

Are accusations of some imaginary suppression of free speech here the best you’ve got? Darling, if people wanted this site to be a censored echo chamber, the likes of you would’ve been gone a long time ago. So just move on, no one’s stoping you. Unless you obviousy don’t want to.

Ruth wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 1:46 pm
What is it about you guys who always cry “censorship” when someone takes the time to object you? Do you genuinely believe I’d be wasting my time responding to any of you if I wanted to “censor” you?
But we’re not idiots here and this shit isn’t going to slide
I wonder what you believe users should think when a moderator states this.

to softly interject here as someone who had a history professor in college that's an expert in this area of study. There's a few points of interest.

The first point is that this binary of black vs white wasn't as much of a "thing" in the 16th century. England was just as ""racist"" towards Italians, for instance, as we perceive slave owners to have been in the southern United States. So our whole concept of "race" is a relatively contemporary one that's simply not applicable to the time. It's not that different from how both soldiers and citizens back home often became violently prejudicial against enemy countries. A sub-point of this being the case is that Southern Slave owners who were then born into owning plantations felt victimized for simply continuing their normalized way of life, wrong or not. So in their minds, it wasn't about "slavery" it was about their "way of life," and historically no civilization responds well to that "way of life" getting threatened.

However, there are dozens of letters exchanged between the founding fathers that when they wished to start The United States of America after the Revolutionary War, they wanted to abolish slavery. It wasn't a top 5 concern to them, but it was an issue on their agenda. After all, many of them were slave owners. Almost every territory agreed except Southern Carolina, who put their feet down as it would cripple their economy. So if they told told Southern Carolina to fuck off and become its own territory and just planned to absorb it later on, there's a solid chance slavery would've been eliminated. Most people don't know this. It's a crazy fact history classes like to overlook.

So yeah, they definitely knew it was wrong. Most "racist" attitudes towards black people happened as a result of slavery, it wasn't the cause of it. The founding fathers and plenty of people at that time mostly knew better. But philosophically, it's helpful to retain an anthropological standpoint when evaluating people of the past. We're all products of our society.

-Vader

Listen, we are not talking only about misguided but rather inconsequential points of views of some individuals throughout the history, here. Yes, Gandhi was also racist towards black people in his younger days according to some records, and I don't know if he ever changed his mind about it, and MLK had homophobic views apparently due to his religious beliefs.

But a freaking person who actively commits to an evil deed like slavery, or worse, a guy who fought against his own democratically elected government, killing his own countrymen in the process, so that a slavery approving institute would remain in charge is beyond discussions like this. Fuck are you even talking about?

You ever try to justify such stuff with "just how the society was at the time", you bet you are not going to get any respect points from me.

Geoffrey wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 1:55 pm
Ruth wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 1:46 pm
But we’re not idiots here and this shit isn’t going to slide
I wonder what you believe users should think when a moderator states this.
That really went over your head, didn’t it? But go off, I guess!