Diary: A NolanFans Story

A place for interesting and non-interesting thread ideas.
has anyone here passed the Series 6?

it sucks

-Vader

Jesus is that from the fire?

Wtf

I kind of don’t like it when people aren’t just being curious or interested in me, but are downright very pushy with demanding answers about your goals in life. And they never take “no” or “i don’t know” for an answer and then keep pushing more and more until you just feel bad about yourself because you feel cornered and unsure of what to say. Like, what do you want me to say, my acual legit dreams so that you would laugh at me or drop thousands of reasons of why it can’t happen; or struggle trying to find a “realistic” middle ground answer.

Like, I feel I sometimes should be way more strict on people respecting my personal boundaries on stuff I’m not necessarily ready to discuss. I get it’s not always done with ill intentions, but it sometimes feels as if I’m not respected enough as an individual. Or something like that. Like, I get it. I’m 22 and I haven’t figured out anything at all and I don’t know what to do with my life so that I could feel as if I’m actually doing something worthwhile and not just merely exist. Yeah, that’s “dumb” and angsty or whatever to others. It often makes me feel bad and fans the flames of my self doubt. But I genuinely feel increasingly worse and worse when I draw the line on what I’m willing to discuss, and people don’t respect that.

Ironically, it’s a whole lot easier for me to mention this shit on the internet lol.

Ruth wrote:
November 10th, 2018, 5:39 pm
I kind of don’t like it when people aren’t just being curious or interested in me, but are downright very pushy with demanding answers about your goals in life. And they never take “no” or “i don’t know” for an answer and then keep pushing more and more until you just feel bad about yourself because you feel cornered and unsure of what to say. Like, what do you want me to say, my acual legit dreams so that you would laugh at me or drop thousands of reasons of why it can’t happen; or struggle trying to find a “realistic” middle ground answer.

Like, I feel I sometimes should be way more strict on people respecting my personal boundaries on stuff I’m not necessarily ready to discuss. I get it’s not always done with ill intentions, but it sometimes feels as if I’m not respected enough as an individual. Or something like that. Like, I get it. I’m 22 and I haven’t figured out anything at all and I don’t know what to do with my life so that I could feel as if I’m actually doing something worthwhile and not just merely exist. Yeah, that’s “dumb” and angsty or whatever to others. It often makes me feel bad and fans the flames of my self doubt. But I genuinely feel increasingly worse and worse when I draw the line on what I’m willing to discuss, and people don’t respect that.

Ironically, it’s a whole lot easier for me to mention this shit on the internet lol.
I feel you on this. I felt the same way when I was in university. For some reason we're expected to be busy all the time, to be working towards something, to have all of our time booked up. In college, this woman who worked at an advertising agency asked me if I was in any marketing clubs. I told her no and in a rude way she asked "what do you do outside of school then?" When I told her I worked two jobs she STFU'd.

I know the pressure is really really tough to deal with, but 22 is a really young age and it's okay if you don't know 100% what you want to do. And if you feel you need to establish boundaries, then establish boundaries. No one should make you feel like you have to have X amount of things done by Y age.

Artemis wrote:
November 10th, 2018, 5:45 pm
Ruth wrote:
November 10th, 2018, 5:39 pm

I feel you on this. I felt the same way when I was in university. For some reason we're expected to be busy all the time, to be working towards something, to have all of our time booked up. In college, this woman who worked at an advertising agency asked me if I was in any marketing clubs. I told her no and in a rude way she asked "what do you do outside of school then?" When I told her I worked two jobs she STFU'd.

I know the pressure is really really tough to deal with, but 22 is a really young age and it's okay if you don't know 100% what you want to do. And if you feel you need to establish boundaries, then establish boundaries. No one should make you feel like you have to have X amount of things done by Y age.
Thank you. I feel like often times I’m not hard enough on people because I’m scared of coming off as rude or entitled. I’m just genuinely anxious and stuff like this makes me freak out on the inside and then I end up feeling worthless. And it feels like shit.

i sound like im joking but straight up we're children till we're like 45 and then we're just normal people so i find it a strain to be worried about "career" "goals" just do what you want and work backwords from there

or just like live in a van dudes no one cares. theres 8 billion people do you care about any of their career prospects? pursue what interests you

Just peeped this movie at Leeds International Film Festival

Really well acted and beautifully shot film.

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:
November 11th, 2018, 2:28 am
i sound like im joking but straight up we're children till we're like 45 and then we're just normal people so i find it a strain to be worried about "career" "goals" just do what you want and work backwords from there

or just like live in a van dudes no one cares. theres 8 billion people do you care about any of their career prospects? pursue what interests you
Agree and disagree at the same time. There is a healthy balance between pursuing your interests, making a living, and enjoying what you do.

A person might really be passionate about making paper mache flowers but that isn't going to provide any form of economic security. I think people get too caught up in the whole 'Pursue your passion' rhetoric.

Scott Galloway puts it better than I ever could

Dodd wrote:
November 11th, 2018, 2:14 pm

Agree and disagree at the same time. There is a healthy balance between pursuing your interests, making a living, and enjoying what you do.

A person might really be passionate about making paper mache flowers but that isn't going to provide any form of economic security. I think people get too caught up in the whole 'Pursue your passion' rhetoric.

i don't necessarily think that's a bad route but i feel that guy is appealing to a pretty specific demographic. everyone is gonna offer you advice (including me just now) but i feel the most important thing is to think critically about what you want your lifestyle to be and act upon those instincts, as opposed to worrying you're not meeting the arbitrary cultural expectations around you

November 11th, 2018, 6:20 pm
Dodd wrote:
November 11th, 2018, 2:14 pm

i don't necessarily think that's a bad route but i feel that guy is appealing to a pretty specific demographic. everyone is gonna offer you advice (including me just now) but i feel the most important thing is to think critically about what you want your lifestyle to be and act upon those instincts, as opposed to worrying you're not meeting the arbitrary cultural expectations around you
I see what you're saying. I agree that working backwards from what you want your lifestyle to be is a good approach.

I'm not a big fan of the 'Job title as identity' mentality western culture pushes. But at the same time, people want to provide economic security and well being for themselves and their loved ones.

I think as 20somethings there is a general background anxiety of "getting on the ladder" for all of us. It's a weird time for sure, where most folks are very ambitious and scared at the same while trying to meet the societal pressures of checking the right boxes. Most people tell me that once you get into your 30s you begin to become more mellow.

I visited friends in my hometown this Summer and there was a clear gap between people who have progressed their career professionally in their mid-20s vs the people who were just working jobs (vs building a career). Mid-20s is where you start to see a gap between people who are smoothly progressing vs people who are frustrated and disgruntled and I think this is what fuels that anxiety.

I really like this small post by The Minimalists. So many people are out there chasing the job title, the salary, the social approval, the bigger house, the nicer car. But at the end of the day, it really doesn't make you happier or make you more of a person.

https://www.theminimalists.com/successfool/

I also love this Watts video :)