What made you cringe today?

A place for interesting and non-interesting thread ideas.
Allstar wrote:
akv1984 wrote:So can I expect to stop seeing Chastain and other feminist celebs in the Hollywoo Crushes thread?
I respect the protests and most people partaking in them. I also respect many actresses who identify as feminists, that is not my issue. My issue was clear, saying stupid things and coming across like a teenage girl on tumblr or just doing it for fun is my issue. It makes the people being sincere and levelheaded look bad which is unfortunate. I'd personally identify myself as a feminist in the classic sense of the word, I think any decent person would.
I didn't see anything teenage girlish in the examples you posted. Yeah Madonna came across as dumb for saying she thought of bombing the white house (what the hell?) and there absolutely are instances in which people do come across as sophomoric. But I didn't see anything immature about what Chastain said and posted. Clearly she is enthusiastic about this event and it shows but does being enthusiastic equate to being immature?

While you and many others in this forum respect these actresses still, there are other parts of the internet where they are being bashed and degraded for simply expressing their opinion.

Michaelf2225 wrote:
Cilogy wrote:"I hate their personal views on things but I still kinda wanna fuck them" Fans.com
nah i actually think the march was cool

like, it was such a huge gathering of protestors and people who protested peacefully and without breaking and setting stuff on fire

considering all the protests i've seen recently, it was very refreshing
I actually saw a post about this on Facebook just now talking about how the march was peaceful and how nothing went astray.

https://www.facebook.com/Luvvie/posts/1 ... nref=story

akv1984 wrote:But I didn't see anything immature about what Chastain said and posted. Clearly she is enthusiastic about this event and it shows but does being enthusiastic equate to being immature?
I think her tagline on the instagram post "Who rules the world?" is quite immature. Yes, saying women rule the world when this should be about equality is really productive. I also think "The future is female" tagline is not productive at all. As for the Ridley post, oh singing a song and just seemingly having a blast at a serious protest does not seem productive, in turns it more into a joke or internet meme than a serious protest.

Allstar wrote:
akv1984 wrote:But I didn't see anything immature about what Chastain said and posted. Clearly she is enthusiastic about this event and it shows but does being enthusiastic equate to being immature?
I think her tagline on the instagram post "Who rules the world?" is quite immature. Yes, saying women rule the world when this should be about equality is really productive. I also think "The future is female" tagline is not productive at all. As for the Ridley post, oh singing a song and just seemingly having a blast at a serious protest does not seem productive, in turns it more into a joke or internet meme than a serious protest.
Lots of protests throughout history have had chants and songs sung. Heck, in the recent protests in South Korea there were activities planned for the children so that the kids could have fun and stay engaged. Their protest still worked and was still taken seriously even though they did have fun at the events.

I think I can see where you're coming from about Chastain's caption but I wouldn't say it's immature. "The Future is Female" tagline is brilliant marketing and does evoke a powerful feeling amongst protestors. So the tagline clearly did its job and is productive.

I think your views of this all boils down to "I agree with the protest but they should protest the way I want them too."

akv1984 wrote: I think your views of this all boils down to "I agree with the protest but they should protest the way I want them too."
Part of me feels this prompt could be applied to 99% of Allstar's posts.

Allstar wrote:
What? Singing a song and having fun is bad? What was she (and other people who "had fun") supposed to do? Bring flowers and cry? That's kind of the point. People are showing that they're strong together, that they're willing to oppose and stand up to something or someone who clearly doesn't want to represent us with empathy and equal judgement, BUT also how we're not going to let this break our spirit. The fact that the majority (I say majority, because I can't attest to every single protester) of those who came were peaceful, in great spirits and in general didn't turn it into a major shitstorm is great. As I said in another thread, there are always going to be people in every single situation in our lives that will take shit out of context or just do something that, even if we fully support the cause, we might feel that it doesn't properly represent what you, as an individual, believe in. And that's alright, we're all different after all. But there's zero need to bash people for this. If you don't like what y or x celebrity said or did, fine (I personally don't like the "who runs the world?" post myself), but the way some of your posts are worded, it sounds like you're almost hating on everyone for the actions of a few, which is... dumb? Or, as akv said, you're fine with things as long as they're done your way, which, ironically, is one of the things the protesters oppose lol.
Bacon wrote:
akv1984 wrote: I think your views of this all boils down to "I agree with the protest but they should protest the way I want them too."
Part of me feels this prompt could be applied to 99% of Allstar's posts.
In the mood for pot stirring?

Anyone remember that dude thenextnolan? He was the kid that was caught plagiarizing other people's film reviews on this site. Well, here's his Twitter. Enjoy.

https://twitter.com/_Rene_V

I think the positivity and good-nature surrounding the march is exactly what makes it so impactful, regardless of whoever joined in.

yikes