NolanFans collective diary of angry venting

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.

Cilogy wrote: Agreed, I think it stems from a very basic desire to control others. I've always felt that anti-choice men are very insecure about women and want to control them, meanwhile anti-choice women are very insecure about themselves and want to be controlled or want other women to be controlled. People like that like to restrict themselves, they enjoy living in a very controlled bubble because it seemingly protects them from what they are most afraid or insecure about.

I laugh in the faces of people who say shit like "he could've cured cancer" because the likelihood of that person also enslaving races of people or becoming the next Hitler is more or less the same.
It also comes from the conclusive sexism in which they deny having towards women. It's getting really abhorrent, like when someone declares that all women should remain abstinent period, unless they want children. And then they excuse men's sexual behavior, simply because they don't get pregnant and they can easily run away from the situation. Who knew that in 2012 a great number of people would adopt the mindset of hardcore evangelists, even though some of them that I talk to are far from being religious. It's a bit funny, though, when Tea Partiers/Repubs keep chanting about less government, when they themselves demand limiting the rights of their own country's citizens.

This is an interesting gripe and it's difficult for me to put into words.

I have a friend. My best friend, in fact, that I share everything with. I've known him for the majority of my life and he lives 2 houses down from me. so we spend time together VERY often. And contrary to what the rest of this will sound like he is like my brother. I love him. He spends more time with my family than his own. The only problem is he is so freaking ignorant.

First off, he is incredibly intelligent. He is probably, other then my dad, the most gifted person I have ever met when it comes to math. It is incredible. He's not bad at science, either, and he always had higher scores than mine. When I made a 100 he found a way to make a 101. And all of that is well and good as I enjoy having intelligent friends that I can engage in conversation. The only problem is, yes, he's good at math, but he sucks at english and he sucks at just knowing general information. He doesn't know anything outside of his own little sphere of life: bad vocabulary, never tried various types of food, knows nothing of music or art, doesnt read ANYTHING, doesn't use the internet really that much, is immune to pop culture knowledge, all of it. Just some of the things you ought to know after living for 19 years in an upper middle class lifestyle he just doesn't know. But it's not because he doesn't know how or he doesn't have the ability to, it's because he honestly doesn't give a fuck. I'll try to talk to him about Nolan's movies or the things I'm doing with my car and he just goes "cool." I try to explain to him that the only way to learn things and grow your vocabulary is to read a FREAKING book. And he's like "no. I don't like reading." And the only way to learn things is to seek out knowledge. He makes fun of me for being on the forum and acouple other ones and I'm like "Sorry that I'm truly passionate about this. I love Nolan and I love storytelling and if I want to learn as much as I can about those things then I will."

Which brings me to another point. He has seen all of Nolan's movies and he enjoyed most of them. But he never watches a movie more than once, he hasn't read a single book he hasn't been made to read for school, and he doesn't understand video games that aren't Madden. I try to explain to him that its all about the beauty of STORYTELLING. Nolan's movies are awesome because of the genius and complexity of it, books are interesting to read because of it, and campaigns are thought-prevoking and enriching because of it! And its completely enathma to him. He's like, "I walk out of the movie theatre and never really think of the movie again. Unless someone says something." I just don't understand! How can you not only not appreciate those things , but now WANT to!! It's beyond me and it makes me infuriated when I try to tell him something and he asks me to explain, I go into all this deep, thought-wrenching exposition and he goes "oh. why do you care so much?" or "ok."

IT MAKES ME SO MAD. It's like stop complaining about how little you know and pick up a fucking book. Or watch a movie for the genius of it. Do something for the NOVELTY of it.

Phew. Thanks for that. :)

Nolanoscopy wrote:This is an interesting gripe and it's difficult for me to put into words.

I have a friend. My best friend, in fact, that I share everything with. I've known him for the majority of my life and he lives 2 houses down from me. so we spend time together VERY often. And contrary to what the rest of this will sound like he is like my brother. I love him. He spends more time with my family than his own. The only problem is he is so freaking ignorant.

First off, he is incredibly intelligent. He is probably, other then my dad, the most gifted person I have ever met when it comes to math. It is incredible. He's not bad at science, either, and he always had higher scores than mine. When I made a 100 he found a way to make a 101. And all of that is well and good as I enjoy having intelligent friends that I can engage in conversation. The only problem is, yes, he's good at math, but he sucks at english and he sucks at just knowing general information. He doesn't know anything outside of his own little sphere of life: bad vocabulary, never tried various types of food, knows nothing of music or art, doesnt read ANYTHING, doesn't use the internet really that much, is immune to pop culture knowledge, all of it. Just some of the things you ought to know after living for 19 years in an upper middle class lifestyle he just doesn't know. But it's not because he doesn't know how or he doesn't have the ability to, it's because he honestly doesn't give a fuck. I'll try to talk to him about Nolan's movies or the things I'm doing with my car and he just goes "cool." I try to explain to him that the only way to learn things and grow your vocabulary is to read a FREAKING book. And he's like "no. I don't like reading." And the only way to learn things is to seek out knowledge. He makes fun of me for being on the forum and acouple other ones and I'm like "Sorry that I'm truly passionate about this. I love Nolan and I love storytelling and if I want to learn as much as I can about those things then I will."

Which brings me to another point. He has seen all of Nolan's movies and he enjoyed most of them. But he never watches a movie more than once, he hasn't read a single book he hasn't been made to read for school, and he doesn't understand video games that aren't Madden. I try to explain to him that its all about the beauty of STORYTELLING. Nolan's movies are awesome because of the genius and complexity of it, books are interesting to read because of it, and campaigns are thought-prevoking and enriching because of it! And its completely enathma to him. He's like, "I walk out of the movie theatre and never really think of the movie again. Unless someone says something." I just don't understand! How can you not only not appreciate those things , but now WANT to!! It's beyond me and it makes me infuriated when I try to tell him something and he asks me to explain, I go into all this deep, thought-wrenching exposition and he goes "oh. why do you care so much?" or "ok."

IT MAKES ME SO MAD. It's like stop complaining about how little you know and pick up a fucking book. Or watch a movie for the genius of it. Do something for the NOVELTY of it.

Phew. Thanks for that. :)
Ok....

Now tell us how you really feel.

:lol:
"It doesn't matter how you get knocked down in life because that's going to happen. All that matters is you gotta get up."

DoubleD wrote: Ok....

Now tell us how you really feel.

:lol:

Very funny :-D

Whenever I talk about movies or things I love like comics or games I get really into it and people always think I am being a "dick" when I deeply talk about movies I love. They tell me you need to stop being so "anal" and "ignorant" about movies and things like that. But, those are things I love and deeply care about, of course I am going to defend a movie I really like or try to help someone understand. I also don't like how people say "Why do you care so much? Or I don't care as much as you do."

It's really hard for me to explain my predicament. I just want people to know I really love the things I do and want them to know I will deeply talk about those things and if they can't handle it they need to gtfo then.

xWhereAmI? wrote:Whenever I talk about movies or things I love like comics or games I get really into it and people always think I am being a "dick" when I deeply talk about movies I love. They tell me you need to stop being so "anal" and "ignorant" about movies and things like that. But, those are things I love and deeply care about, of course I am going to defend a movie I really like or try to help someone understand. I also don't like how people say "Why do you care so much? Or I don't care as much as you do."

It's really hard for me to explain my predicament. I just want people to know I really love the things I do and want them to know I will deeply talk about those things and if they can't handle it they need to gtfo then.
Just do what I do. Tell them they are fucking retards and theres literally no reason for me to continue this conversation.

xWhereAmI? wrote:Whenever I talk about movies or things I love like comics or games I get really into it and people always think I am being a "dick" when I deeply talk about movies I love. They tell me you need to stop being so "anal" and "ignorant" about movies and things like that. But, those are things I love and deeply care about, of course I am going to defend a movie I really like or try to help someone understand. I also don't like how people say "Why do you care so much? Or I don't care as much as you do."

Stop being such a dork. Problem solved.

steveportee wrote:

Stop being such a dork. Problem solved.
K