Does anybody else feel the world is getting dumber?

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:very curious to hear your thoughts on when it's the correct time for women to protest misogyny
What I've seen so far from this protest was a bunch of generic signs saying the most generalist statements possible in the alley of "Freedom for Women", "Women also have rights", and "Sex Equality".

And after an entire day of debate I've gotten maybe 2 or 3 important issues regarding sex equality that need to be addressed. But those were barely even mentioned during these rallies.

All I heard was "It's time for women to speak up"... like somebody didn't allow them to do so prior to this day lol.

This was not a focused demonstration. This was another rally which if Hillary Clinton would have became president it would have never happened because we would have had a woman taking the big seat in the Oval Office. But poor luck. It only got this amount of attendance, exposure, and media coverage due to Trump's inauguration as a "misogynist" US President.

There's people taking huge advantage from this. The reality is women are almost equal to men in society. Almost being the key word. But it's not like we're not heading in the right direction and things haven't progressed a lot in the last decades. You can't just ask for shit to happen over night. It takes time. Why were women in my country for example mostly considering what happened at these rallies ridiculous? And on top of all a political skeme more than an actual movement?

We progressed a lot in the last 30 years and this rally made it seem like we're stuck in the 20s. It's hilarious and unfair. It takes advantage of a political situation to push an offensive agenda instead of bringing awareness to real issues. Most people that were at the rally were taking pictures while holding generic signs. They had no clue what actually needs to be fixed.

Saying we need a less misogynist society is like saying we need a society that's less racist. (and this is an exaggerated comparison since these issues are not even close of having the same amount of gravity). Okay, the majority agrees. But if you're out there in the streets organizing rallies then also come with solutions. I barely saw that. That's my problem. At the end of the day this rally said pretty much nothing. Two weeks later people will stop talking about it. But for now, you need to fill those instagram and facebook pages with all the feminist imaginable content.

This is pretty much the problem. If you have any any ANY negative thing to say about a feminist rally then oh boy... you're the misogynist. This is black lives matter all over again. If you had ANY negative thing to say about that movement then you were considered a racist. Like really? Since when we live in an absolute world?

Gonna attach Allstar's post since I think it underlines the problem a bit.
Allstar wrote:https://www.instagram.com/p/BPidXS5hZej/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPg-sZZhe74/

https://twitter.com/jes_chastain/status ... 4479012865

I support the protesting but I wish grown adults did not have to act like teenagers about it or just do it for "fun". It undermines it. Not to mention some of the other utter stupidity going on like Madonna saying "I thought about blowing up the White House". Sigh.
Take a look at that Chastain tweet.

"Can't ignore one million of us"... who ignores what exactly? :lol:

This was not a focused demonstration. This was another rally which if Hillary Clinton would have became president it would have never happened because we would have had a woman taking the big seat in the Oval Office. But poor luck. It only got this amount of attendance, exposure, and media coverage due to Trump's inauguration as a "misogynist" US President.
well... yeah. it's an anti-trump rally

these protests were about the solidarity of women / disadvantaged people, banding together as a front against four years of a president who doesn't seem to possess empathy or compassion for them

Ugh Christ.

It's easy to say what they were about. But when you look at the result you don't see that. If you ignore that problem then I don't know what to say. After all, you just did quote me on one thing and ignored every single other point I was making.

Not to mention... how can it be about women's rights and equality if this wouldn't happen if Clinton would have been elected? I mean... you realize how idiotic and hypocritical that is? It makes no sense because whichever dumbass sits in the Oval Office is irrelevant. Nothing changed nor will change. Especially in worse for women.
mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:who doesn't seem to
And this should not be an excuse for rallies and protests and so on. Either he is or he's not what he seems to be.

He made some dumb remarks. All that locker room talk crap. All the "rape" cases and so on. But, in context, it's not enough to warrant such reaction (regardless if he's elected president). It makes the opposing side look like whiners. Which unfortunately a lot of them are to a point where it's becoming pathetic. On top of that, this gives Trump more exposure and we all know bad publicity is good publicity.

Trump disgusts me but a lot of these "anti-Trump" reactions and movements so far are ridiculous and childish. Exactly the opposite of what I hoped I will see. I mean where is the maturity in all of this? This is kindergarden stuff. Let's gather in several places and rally for two things at the same time while also having no clue about what we're actually doing. But let's gather because if we're many then it must mean something. The approach is hilarious.

But I guess monkey see, monkey do. You have a monkey in that office that encourages these types of things.

RIFA wrote:Ugh Christ.

It's easy to say what they were about. But when you look at the result you don't see that. If you ignore that problem then I don't know what to say. After all, you just did quote me on one thing and ignored every single other point I was making.
if you don't synthesize a text-wall down to the main point a poster is making arguments become tangential and unwieldy but fine...
RIFA wrote: Not to mention... how can it be about women's rights and equality if this wouldn't happen if Clinton would have been elected? I mean... you realize how idiotic and hypocritical that is? It makes no sense because whichever dumbass sits in the Oval Office is irrelevant. Nothing changed nor will change. Especially in worse for women.
i frankly don't see how having a misogynistic president doesn't not affect women
RIFA wrote:
mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:who doesn't seem to
And this should not be an excuse for rallies and protests and so on. Either he is or he's not what he seems to be.
okay, he has continuously shown contempt for marginalized people and has not made any effort to convince us he feels otherwise. i don't actually believe you needed me to clarify that.
RIFA wrote: He made some dumb remarks. All that locker room talk crap. All the "rape" cases and so on. But, in context, it's not enough to warrant such reaction (regardless if he's elected president). It makes the opposing side look like whiners. Which unfortunately a lot of them are to a point where it's becoming pathetic. On top of that, this gives Trump more exposure and we all know bad publicity is good publicity.
so you're okay with them protesting but don't like the way that they're protesting? cool. your award is in the mail
RIFA wrote: Trump disgusts me but a lot of these "anti-Trump" reactions and movements so far are ridiculous and childish. Exactly the opposite of what I hoped I will see. I mean where is the maturity in all of this? This is kindergarden stuff. Let's gather in several places and rally for two things at the same time while also having no clue about what we're actually doing. But let's gather because if we're many then it must mean something. The approach is hilarious.

But I guess monkey see, monkey do. You have a monkey in that office that encourages these types of things.
what types of things? its a bunch of people holding signs man i really don't know what you want

What Rifa's missing is that the marches WOULD'VE happened if Hillary had won, as far as I'm aware, they were being planned way before Trump won. Sure it would've been less of a protest if that was the case, and more of a celebration, but the event was planned anyway.

I like it. Sure, among so many people there WILL ALWAYS be those who probably don't give that many fucks and are there for the entertainment, those who want more self exposure, radicals with whom I personally would never identify with, or just people who misunderstand the whole issue, etc. But that should never be a point or a reason to turn your back to an issue. No one's trying to get rid of Trump by protesting, no one's trying to achieve anything other than - we're watching Trump. It's a message of solidarity to women and all of the other minority groups, because, while I'm sure what you're saying have good intentions, you simply can't just say that it's all good now - you'll never have to live out your live as a woman. You won't experience all the unfortunate "microclimates" in which women are still being seen as shit, all of the stupid expectations a lot of us still have to conform, because you don't really have that much of a choice. Simply because we can vote, get jobs and do similar shit doesn't make it right yet. There are people who are trying to inflict laws that would suppress a woman's right to be in control of her body (like people trying to ban abortions worldwide), we encounter all sorts of judgement that is based not on what we do, but on what we are - girls. And yes, others get stereotyped and judged as well, to me, the march is a solidarity event meant for everyone experiencing inequality and prejudice. Then there are also girls in other regions of the world, having much MUCH WORSE living conditions than all of us, and their voices aren't heard at all. I can't book a ticket to India, for example, right now. I can't go to Africa and protest there. I wish I could. But the protests happening worldwide could give a little more hope to this stuff potentially receiving more and more coverage in the future. And I wish more feminists talked about issues like these, yes. But the existence of such terrible stuff doesn't mean we should ignore everything else.

Maybe Trump isn't going to do incredibly terrible things for women's rights. Nah, I'm sure he probably won't, really.. But what he's said out loud, in itself, negates everything what it's like to be a girl, to him, a woman is just a pretty thing you can fuck, tell her what to do or when to keep quiet. And holy shit if you're ugly. Then you probably should just kill yourself or at least never step out in the open, right? And yea, things could be worse. But words are a powerful thing, just by saying this crap, he's normalizing such views and sort of giving other imbecils a sign of approval. But the fact that a person like this can take office in one of the most powerful countries in the world, it's scary. If he had become a president of Zimbabwe, then I'm sure the protests would've been on a smaller scale (or wouldn't have happened at all), not because we don't care about Zimbabwe (some don't, I guess), but because being a president of such country doesn't impact the rest of the world so much. But why am I trying to explain this... Maybe you failing to see the point of such a protest is a proof in itself that well, it's nice to live in ignorance, and that we need marches like these more than we realize

edit: wow i wasted so much time on this on mobile and solo hit all the main points already

you articulated it far better i should have gone with my gut reaction of just posting a gif

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:you articulated it far better i should have gone with my gut reaction of just posting a gif
thnx hun

People have nothing better to do. That's all there is to it.

AsianVersionOfET wrote:People have nothing better to do. That's all there is to it.
Yeah they should have been at home discussing movies on an Internet forum dedicated to a director.

RIFA wrote: Trump disgusts me but a lot of these "anti-Trump" reactions and movements so far are ridiculous and childish. Exactly the opposite of what I hoped I will see. I mean where is the maturity in all of this? This is kindergarden stuff. Let's gather in several places and rally for two things at the same time while also having no clue about what we're actually doing. But let's gather because if we're many then it must mean something. The approach is hilarious.

As an addendum to what Ruth said, I think part of your misunderstanding is due to a difference in culture. US sociopolitical culture, since the nation's birth, has always been about active, expressive and loud tactics, like protests. There seems to be a greater sentiment of "I'm angry about XYZ, so I want to show it," if only because US political history has shown that change occurs through loud minorities.

In this country, at least, protests are understood, even by protesters, to be symbolic more than anything. Perhaps it's different where you live. Maybe, in other parts of the world, people are more content to sit at home and be passive.
Not to mention... how can it be about women's rights and equality if this wouldn't happen if Clinton would have been elected?
We can't know what would have happened if Clinton was elected.

Second, she is a woman, so obviously it would have been more important for the cause of a lot of women for symbolic reasons.

This is basic stuff, RIFA.