Florida High School Shooting

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
Ruth wrote:
February 16th, 2018, 8:32 am
Nistopher Colon wrote:
February 16th, 2018, 7:34 am
Pretty much.

Powerdump makes some decent (I guess) points when it comes to mental illnesses, because, imo, it's one of the biggest misconceptions when people blame or make excuses for criminals because they "must be" mentally ill (especially if you're a white guy lol. People will have a hard time just calling you an evil terrorist). Sure, not all of them are the same, so there will always be exceptions to any case, but it's INCREDIBLY offensive to actually mentally ill people and forces a massive stigma upon them. Depression doesn't make you shoot up people. Statistically, mentally ill people are more often victims than perpetrators.

But the rest is utter bullshit, sorry. It's a complete myth that our grandpas and grandmas and the generations before didn't fuck around. Depending on where you're from and how harsh cultural/societal norms are, they sure did. And we'll always look at the past through a nostalgic lens. Pearl clutchers actually ruined the lives of young people (usually women) who lived a more sexually "free" life - so the lesser numbers don't indicate a some sort of magical moral high ground past generations must've had. Nah, youths just didn't really have much choice, because unlike today (mostly), fucking around won't cost you family "honor", social status, potential career or education opportunities and won't literally take home away from you if you fuck up. See Magdalene laundries in Ireland. Great morals, right?
So to the people who respond like this, are you actually a person who believes, everyone has a right to their own opinion? Do I actually have to wait for an answer to this or can I claim “hypocritical” thinking right now?

Oh, and let me get this straight, you expect me to actually give you the time of day on your argument when mine gets dumped on? Let’s think about that one.

So let me handle this my way, to the two people who shit on my opinion just know, I respect your opinion on the matter and won’t dump on it on such a touchy subject. Notice how I had some difference of thought on what’s going on and you didn’t see me “crapping” on the previous posters’ posts.

Good day.

Ruth wrote:
February 16th, 2018, 2:43 pm
lol well am I actually wrong with that last post?

PowerDump wrote:
February 16th, 2018, 3:44 pm
Ruth wrote:
If I wanted to "crap" on your opinion, I would've just posted a silly one liner or a gif reaction immediately. Instead, I took the time to address several points you made. Sorry if you took this too personally, but in my opinion this is way too over the top. And I'm not sure how any of this makes me a hypocrite, but fine, you're, like, absolutely free to think this from this one post I made.

Also, I'm not expecting you to give me the time of your day. You literally don't have to respond to me if you don't want to.

Ruth wrote:
February 16th, 2018, 4:28 pm
PowerDump wrote:
February 16th, 2018, 3:44 pm
Ruth wrote:
If I wanted to "crap" on your opinion, I would've just posted a silly one liner or a gif reaction immediately. Instead, I took the time to address several points you made. Sorry if you took this too personally, but in my opinion this is way too over the top. And I'm not sure how any of this makes me a hypocrite, but fine, you're, like, absolutely free to think this from this one post I made.

Also, I'm not expecting you to give me the time of your day. You literally don't have to respond to me if you don't want to.
Okay bye Felicia

placing the blame on 'kids these days' probably isn't the answer since contempt for young people from older people isn't unique to this generation

Dumbest responses I've seen on this issue over the past few days:

"This isn't a gun problem, it's a mental health problem"
"We've had the 2nd Amendment for over 200 years and mass shooting's only happened in the past 30. The problem isn't the guns, it's the fact that kids aren't disciplined correctly."
"We need armed teachers in schools."
"We don't need to politicize their deaths. It's rude."
"It's too soon. Let them grieve."

This whole situation saddens and angers me. I live in a in a country where it is extremely rare to even see a gun let alone own one so this whole situation is just crazy to me.

The solution exists and it works. It has worked in other countries, it should work in the US too. Children shouldn't live in fear that some psycho would kill them with the gun he easily obtained because of some politicians with their flawed logic and some people who are too attached to their weapons that they refuse to do the right thing.

the mental illness argument is great, like yeah it's that illness that makes people go on shooting sprees that only exists in the US and has only been around for the past few decades