Sexual Abuse in Hollywood

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:
LelekPL wrote:I hope they'll stand by that message of "not being afraid to speak" and stop speaking up only when somebody else actually spoke up before them. Now they're all "brave" but they've been quiet about it for sooooo many years while this guy did it to others. Sad.
sexual assault is not the fault of the victims.
I'm not defending Weinstein in any way shape or form. I'm not saying it's the victims fault. All I'm saying is this could've been dealt with a lot earlier and a lot of women wouldn't have been subjected to it, had SOMEBODY not thought about their job but rather about the right thing. It's not directed at any one person, it's not directed at the harassed women. It's directed at everybody that knew. Jessica Chastain said it was a well-known secret in Hollywood and it's just sickening. I get that the victims of rape don't want to step up. I get that. They're completely justified. But you had people like Affleck, even Brad Pitt, powerful people, who knew this and haven't said a word for X amount of years!

Basically I'm symapthizing with the exact words that Cara used and with her post: "I was also terrified that this sort of thing had happened to so many women I know but no one had said anything because of fear." And like I said, it's not only the victims that knew, it's not only women. SOmebody should have done it MUCH earlier.

I get he's a powerful guy but if my girl was harassed by my boss, I wouldn't shut up about it. And it's not that your career would definitely be dead. Weinstein wasn't the most liked personality in Hollywood even before all this. It's not like he had a monopoly on the movie business. You could still find employment with Paramount, Universal or whatever.
Ruth wrote:This is already victim shaming. The fact that he did it years ago doesn't erase the fact that he did it, plain and simple.
And you are once again misinterpreting what I said because of your preconceived ideas about me, which are completely false, and by adding words to my posts that I've never used.
Last edited by LelekPL on October 11th, 2017, 3:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Oku
MyCocaine wrote:
Bacon wrote:
akv1984 wrote:Well...sexual assault runs in the Affleck family http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... d-TRL.html
So uh Armie Hammer for Batman anyone?
Affleck just apologized for this on Twitter. It was a decade ago and played off as a joke on a television show. Still not okay, but this is probably gonna get huge and disastrous headlines.
Joke?

Or will Mr. Affleck really be forced out as Batman over this??

I totally understand if people didn't want to publicly announce the incidents, but if you were harassed or knew for a fact that he was a sexual predator and still didn't mind to work with him, then you have no dignity.£

In regards to the actors keeping it all hushed up, I think there's a factor of respecting the victim's choice to come out publicly. If, for example, Clooney witnessed Weinstein harassing a young female actor, Clooney is in the right to go to HR or go to Weinstein directly to address his behavior, but I don't think it's right to come out publicly if it is against the wishes of the victim. He can encourage or suggest, but he is in not right to go public about it.

The first time a director made an inappropriate comment to me, I was in my mid-20s. He was a director I really liked and respected. We were alone and he said to me: “I wish I could have sex with you, I wish I could fuck you.”

He said it in a way that was half joking and half serious. I was very angry. I was trying to do my job and he made me very uncomfortable. He has slept with all of the actresses he filmed.

Another director I worked with would film very long sex scenes that lasted days. He kept watching us, replaying the scenes over and over again in a kind of stupor. It was very gross.

Yet another director tried to kiss me. Like Weinstein, I had to physically push him away, too. He acted like a crazy man, deranged by the fact that I didn’t want to have sex with him.
- Léa Seydoux

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... are_btn_tw

I can guess who two of those are at least.£

I guess the long sex scenes might be Abdellatif Kechiche but that's the only film with Lea that I've seen with LOOONG ass sex scenes. Like SUPER uncomfortably long if you're watching it with somebody.

Honestly, I always thought that movie was directed by a woman.

holy shit

so this is turning into, like, an event

This is just really depressing.

The Weinsteinalypse?

The Weinsteining?

don't mean to make light of sexual harrassment, but like, is all of this as surreal to anyone else as it is to me?

seems like a can of worms

As much as I want to believe that's it, let's be honest, Weinstein wasn't the only one and I hope this becomes an "event" as you said, or more like a cleansing of sorts for Hollywood. Obviously they won't get everybody but hopefully a lot of them.