Terrorist Attacks in Paris, France

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.

m4st4 wrote:
prince0gotham wrote:Just some 50-100 meters from where we live there's a ton of police, ambulances and firemen/evacuation vehicles and a perimeter of about 300 meters is under blockade.

A few hours ago my girlfriend went through that area and saw a police car chasing another one and then some other policemen checking a minivan. Then an hour ago we came back to see there's a blockade then had to go around to reach home. (Currently 11 buildings have been evacuated). First reports are saying parts of a bomb were found in the minivan, one that was supposed to be put together in a mosque (used as an HQ by radicals) then set off in an attack in Dortmund.
... :( ...
Make that 16 buildings. 200 policemen were involved in the op, almost literally right in front of my doorstep. Surreal. All's well now though.

Unfortunate Effects of Paris Attacks on the U.S. Economy:
The paris attack has created a sense of fear among the people all across the world and has hampered US economy very badly,chills went through our spines as the terrorist events in Paris unfolded, many of us here in America were likely asking, “Could it happen here?” The answer lies in history: 9/11 was the biggest terrorist event ever. While Homeland Security has done an excellent job in thwarting terrorist attacks on U.S. soil since 9/11, fighting modern-day suicide bombers is a huge task.As an economist, my concern lies more in the aftereffects of these terrorist attacks on the minds of citizens. After all, one of the goals of terrorism is to instill fear in people. Will that fear result in consumers holding back on everyday life and on spending their money? The data already suggests retail sales are weak. Will the tide of terrorism fear put further pressure on an already suffering retail sector, especially in the U.S.?

http://www.profitconfidential.com/econo ... s-economy/