Controversial opinions about the universe

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
The Universe is highly under rated by humanity, and we as humans take our very existence for granted.

I don't see how it's so absurd. The human capacity for... doingbad things is overwhelming. I don't believe in inherent evil or good but I can't ignore the horror of man, nor the indifference. Not that I intentionally ignore the positives either, in fact I mention that in the very same sentence. But we're animals, we follow our what's natural. Whatever that brings.

What's Nolan's stance on humanity, RIFA?

Regarding humanity...I feel what an individual does, he does because of a personal satisfaction he gets. Even if that is helping another person, or donating to a charity, there is an inherent feeling of pride that we're doing something right. But regarding Rust Cohle's philosophy, I think much of what he says is certainly true.

Quick, name your great great grandfather. You probably cannot, as is the case with almost everyone. That is in essence, part of Rust's argument: what we do, in the grand scheme of things, is irrelevant because no one will remember us many years after we're gone. We become a faded memory. We make ourselves feel better by telling ourselves what we're doing is making a difference, and perhaps on some small, insignificant scale, it is. But in regards to the universe, the future and our legacy, our actions are pointless.

So what is the point of living? I guess Rust's final moments in the show give one some sense of reasoning (although it's likely just our programming reassuring us :P )

Skyab23 wrote:Regarding humanity...I feel what an individual does, he does because of a personal satisfaction he gets. Even if that is helping another person, or donating to a charity, there is an inherent feeling of pride that we're doing something right. But regarding Rust Cohle's philosophy, I think much of what he says is certainly true.

Quick, name your great great grandfather. You probably cannot, as is the case with almost everyone. That is in essence, part of Rust's argument: what we do, in the grand scheme of things, is irrelevant because no one will remember us many years after we're gone. We become a faded memory. We make ourselves feel better by telling ourselves what we're doing is making a difference, and perhaps on some small, insignificant scale, it is. But in regards to the universe, the future and our legacy, our actions are pointless.

So what is the point of living? I guess Rust's final moments in the show give one some sense of reasoning (although it's likely just our programming reassuring us :P )
Great, life is pointless and Cohle is 2deep4u. Now what? Are you gonna kill yourself because you consider life some grand irony or something? Of course not. Our limited time on this planet is precisely what gives life it's significance so enjoy it wouldja

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:
Skyab23 wrote:Regarding humanity...I feel what an individual does, he does because of a personal satisfaction he gets. Even if that is helping another person, or donating to a charity, there is an inherent feeling of pride that we're doing something right. But regarding Rust Cohle's philosophy, I think much of what he says is certainly true.

Great, life is pointless and Cohle is 2deep4u. Now what? Are you gonna kill yourself because you consider life some grand irony or something? Of course not. Our limited time on this planet is precisely what gives life it's significance so enjoy it wouldja
Yeah, I agree, not sure what the OP is smoking.

Cop 223 wrote:I don't see how it's so absurd. The human capacity for... doingbad things is overwhelming.
Same as the human capacity for ... doing good things.
Cop 223 wrote:I don't believe in inherent evil or good but I can't ignore the horror of man, nor the indifference. Not that I intentionally ignore the positives either
By specifying you're not intentionally ignoring the positives you're kinda showing that you're doing exactly that.

For every negative thing you say about humanity there's at least a positive thing to balance it. This is why looking at humanity and paying more attention to the wrong things is absurd because you're ignoring all the equally important good things that happen.

It's like someone threw ink on your favorite white shirt. You're now stuck panicking around the idea of not being able to wear that shirt again. You blame the person who threw the ink, you blame the shirt manufacturer for making the material so vulnerable to ink, you're doing anything but accept that shit happens and see the bright side of things. A positive person would be like "fuck. that was a nice shirt. so many memories with it. Imma keep it but I guess I have to get a new one. It was old anyway."

RIFA wrote:This is why looking at humanity and paying more attention to the wrong things is absurd because you're ignoring all the equally important good things that happen.
Like what exactly? Other than things that solely benefit our civilization, what is as equally important as the destruction of the planet and wiping out entire species? What have we done or is being done to balance that?

Cilogy wrote:
RIFA wrote:This is why looking at humanity and paying more attention to the wrong things is absurd because you're ignoring all the equally important good things that happen.
Like what exactly? Other than things that solely benefit our civilization, what is as equally important as the destruction of the planet and wiping out entire species? What have we done or is being done to balance that?
i'd take 2 hours to write a long post with my healthy arm but something tells me you'll just keep converting frustration and malcontent into worldview and beliefs

prince0gotham wrote:
Cilogy wrote:
i'd take 2 hours to write a long post with my healthy arm but something tells me you'll just keep converting frustration and malcontent into worldview and beliefs
You don't have to do that, but I think it's a legitimate question.

Yeah I'm sarcastic, and I'm not perfect, but I don't think at least attempting to be realistic about things should be dismissed as malcontent or frustration.