Ebola

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
Thoughts? Concerns? Opinions?

Can it be contained? Do you fear an outbreak?

DoubleD wrote:Thoughts? Concerns? Opinions?

Can it be contained? Do you fear an outbreak?
From a resident here in the United States, I see a lot of people very concerned (and I believe that is in large part due to the media's continued sensationalist coverage). Do I believe it is a major threat to the United States? No, absolutely not. That is, if the medical community is correct in its assessment that the spread of the virus is *only* through bodily fluids. If it can be spread air-borne, via a cough or sneeze however, it has the potential to be much worse, obviously.

The real issue I have is that, Ebola has been a very serious concern for decades in various countries. There hasn't been an established and concerted effort to find a vaccine for it here in the United States, and again this is just my opinion, because of the ridiculous restrictions imposed by the FDA. Look at Dallas Buyers Club for just how corrupt and heavily regulated the drug industry is, with special interests taking precedent over entrepreneurship.

There is little doubt in my mind that many experimental drugs (like the ones used on the American doctors who contracted it overseas) would be available and likely very successful at treating Ebola victims if the medicinal community were given the incentive to provide it to these countries who really need it. The FDA essentially prevents this from occurring.

Kinda sounds like a bowling video game.

Skyab23 wrote:
That is, if the medical community is correct in its assessment that the spread of the virus is *only* through bodily fluids.
Well that's been the general consensus, but supposedly the nurse from Dallas was in full protective gear when she was around the patient and has tested positive. So yea, if that's true....

I mean I don't expect a wide spread outbreak, but if the virus is spread by other means, then it certainly has the potential to get out of hand.

A lot of people over there tend to touch and kiss their dead relatives, not giving a single fuck to the fact that the person may have died from ebola, which says a lot about the continent's (or at least its poorest countries') hygiene levels.

So I think we're gonna be alright.

I think the media, as usual, is making this a bigger deal than it is.

-Cilogy

And now a second health care worker has tested positive in Dallas and an additional 75 are being monitored.

LoneCooper wrote:Image
This is pretty much stupid. Like 80% of the memes and images that people post on facebook to look smart.

The reason why Ebola gets so much attention is because... well... it's a virus. It's not just US that talks about it. In my country there's talks about it as well since 3 people are suspected of it. Ebola is deadly and can easily spread if it's not kept under control. And if there's a chance of the virus spreading then there needs to be tons of information so people can be aware of methods of prevention, cause, diagnosis and treatment. You can't put Ebola in the same category as obesity. It doesn't even make sense to put it since they are not even the same things.

Don't blame everything on "sensationalist media coverage".

RIFA, it's just a cartoon