Scottish Independence

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
Well... people are more sensitive about issues of history. They think that there are ways to fix whatever issues exist at the moment without getting out of something that they've been part for such a long period just because things don't work now. Totally understandable.

In a way I'm glad it didn't work out because it already showed signs of separatism all over the place in Europe. Idiots giving the future of Scotland an example for their own separatist intentions. We have an issue now with extremist hungarians in our country for example. It's getting really annoying and ridiculous. I can only imagine the reactions all over Europe if Scotland became independent. "Well they did it!!!! Why shouldn't we?"

In the current context of European geo-politics I think it would have been a pretty dangerous precedent that could have fueled more and more extremist organizations.

theseeker9175 wrote:So are you against Scottish independence?
Yeah.

Ironically, the inevitable constitutional change that this NO vote will bring could very well bring about the end of the Union in the future. Extensive federalism within the UK is almost unworkable without fracturing the Union.

The three main parties have stitched themselves up here with their (deceitful) promises about more devolution to Scotland.

If you believe that when you are born into this world, you are born free of the shackles of restriction and are your own individual, then the same should be applicable for the right of secession. No government should have the authority to suppress the will of the people, particularly when it involves promoting their own liberty. Scotland had a right to secede and form their own identity, and with that right, they also have the right to try and fail.

I hear arguments about how, if Scotland would have voted in favor of independence, they would have failed without their "Big Brother's" assistance. Perhaps. But that is the beauty of free will, liberty and human nature. To experiment, to fail, and to promote the most prosperity for yourself. Not to be held in bondage by some monolithic government. If government would have prevented some of the greatest entrepreneurs from investing millions of dollars into new ideas, because they felt it could potentially result in failure, society would not have the great inventions we possess today.

It is imagination, free-will and understanding the risk of failure, but trying anyway, that has given us modern science, medicine, smart phones, apps, and the like. Government has done nothing but prohibit that through bureaucracy and regulation.