Anti-bullying.

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
I just got interested in the topic of the anti-bullying movement and I'd start by admitting I've never really thought about it much and don't think I know much about it either, apart from probably not ever taking it seriously just like a lot of other movements.

So after reading a bit about the origins of the movement (tho i'm welcoming anyone to fill me in on the issue) I eventually got to this:

Which actually sounds absolutely and completely logical to me. I agree with the idea how this can totally generate just another dependancy. Some of the commercials like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWJut7KQhI4 which is pretty old seem to send more of a proper message, that anyone and everyone should look out for their schoolmates. However commercials such as this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__C7sd_UDU0 which has a ton more to do with recent suicides due to bullying, I think, is completely wrong in every way I look at it.

It completely vilainizes the bullies and makes them look like Culkin in The Good Son (and that was ridiculous). It only presents a way and reason for people to be even less resilient and sensitive. While trying to say how words can hurt a lot it actually says how one has every reason to be hurt by words (simply because they're hurtful) thus feeding the victim-fantasies of more and more teenagers, which could only generate more sensitivity to bullying.

See, the movement doesn't seem to concentrate on curing and repairing whoever has grown up into a bully. It can't handle something as statistically and psychologically complex as finding the reasons why modern society breeds so much disaffection in youth. Instead, it seems to (increasingly) irresponsibly let something go as viral as that wave of disaffection.

On the other hand I'm sure there's been enough children that have been in one or another way saved by this movement, but how can one calculate the extent upon which it actually causes a wrong mentality and mindset? And what's your stance on all of this?

I happen to be something of an anti-activist considering 90% (i'm imagining a number, i don't really have a certain idea but it's close) of activism today is just irrational/misguided viral bullshit (and always has been and always will be) where exceptions are rare, so I'm definitely looking at the bad side of this.

South Park kind of had an episode making fun of this.

I tend to agree that the movement is a little bit hypocritical as well. It's a great cause and bullying is a pretty big evil among youths today. It's just the approach of the movement I'm concerned with.

It's about time someone made a thread for this.

This anti-bullying stuff, the way it's handled... ugh. I agree. It's just wrong.

As for this whole concern on bullying... I only see that in the States which is no surprise. People always find something to complain about there. Bullying existed and will continue to exist. Terrorism and slavery existed and will continue to exist in different forms.

In my opinion, bullying is also helpful in the sense that... Wait a minute. This video kinda tells everything about my attitude concerning bullies and bullying.

On short, I'm not gonna raise my kid in this anti-bullying mentality.
Last edited by RIFA on April 17th, 2013, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the movement actually started in northern ireland and moved to sweden (or smtn)

i assume that once it entered the states it was just bound to get ridiculous with the amount of overexposre

prince0gotham wrote:i assume that once it entered the states it was just bound to get ridiculous with the amount of overexposre
Exactly. They just make such a tragedy out of everything there. Hence why I said I only see it in the U.S. cuz they're sooo riding that horse now.

I was going to make a post fake bullying Prince for making the thread but I thought I better not because the topic is so serious. Good thread btw
Why you lurking my page brah?

Dodd wrote:I was going to make a post fake bullying Prince for making the thread but I thought I better not because the topic is so serious. Good thread btw
eh could've worked

but yeah it's a concern and it's not just this campaign, there's lots others that can be very damaging in long term while being really really noble and positive on the surface

There's a lot of truth to this, it certainly goes over the line and villainizes "bullies" to a ridiculous degree. I also agree the US takes things to a ridiculous extent many times, but I suppose that just goes to show how much of an effect fear has on people. Society has become so afraid of bullying that it goes too far and ends up bullying the supposed "bullies". It's become more about fighting the people rather than fighting the the source. No one wants to rake responsibility for anything anymore. The "bullies" themselves either consciously refuse responsibility, or are never taught about it adequately. Then on the other hand, society doesn't want to place the adequate amount of pressure on parents, instead blaming the kids for everything. It's a vicious double-edged sword.

I guess the anti-bullying movement should then be more against the circumstances that allow bullying to occur. Many times this just has to do with bad parenting, or terrible upbringing. I suppose while the anti-bullying movement probably does save people, it's also important to keep the movement in check to make sure it doesn't have a reverse effect.
However commercials such as this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__C7sd_UDU0 which has a ton more to do with recent suicides due to bullying, I think, is completely wrong in every way I look at it.
I'll be honest, I'm not sure why this is wrong. Its clearly exaggerated, but that's obviously for the sake of metaphor and symbolism, because it's implying how negative actions have negative consequences. It sends a pretty good message about how even the littlest thing still matters. I mean, shouldn't that be the goal? Shouldn't the point be teaching kids their "minor" actions and behaviors can still have consequences on others?

I would say our world of easy communication and anonymity has allowed this to happen even more. Kids can now very carelessly pick on others, because it's easy, because they don't see the immediate effects. They quickly learn they can skirt responsibility, and their words won't matter. Those little things compound and soon have a very large effect on individuals.

This doesn't mean society should be parenting these kids, but when parents or teachers aren't doing enough, maybe that's where the anti-bullying movement may be needed.
I happen to be something of an anti-activist considering 90% (i'm imagining a number, i don't really have a certain idea but it's close) of activism today is just irrational/misguided viral bullshit (and always has been and always will be) where exceptions are rare, so I'm definitely looking at the bad side of this.
That's not real activism, that's the result of mass media obsession. Some kid on Tumblr rants about shit and it gets like a million likes, and then it's passed off as activism. Real, actual activism that gets shit done has been co-opted by the media. It's now become more about popularity than progress.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

Cilogy wrote:
However commercials such as this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__C7sd_UDU0 which has a ton more to do with recent suicides due to bullying, I think, is completely wrong in every way I look at it.
I'll be honest, I'm not sure why this is wrong. Its clearly exaggerated, but that's obviously for the sake of metaphor and symbolism, because it's implying how negative actions have negative consequences. It sends a pretty good message about how even the littlest thing still matters. I mean, shouldn't that be the goal? Shouldn't the point be teaching kids their "minor" actions and behaviors can still have consequences on others?
It completely vilainizes the bullies and makes them look like Culkin in The Good Son (and that was ridiculous). It only presents a way and reason for people to be even less resilient and sensitive. While trying to say how words can hurt a lot it actually says how one has every reason to be hurt by words (simply because they're hurtful) thus feeding the victim-fantasies of more and more teenagers, which could only generate more sensitivity to bullying.
That's why it's wrong. How isn't it? It's thoughtless, careless, irresponsible on top of sending the wrong message. If it wants to say how minor actions can make people commits suicide or hurt themselves, for them to be trying to say that the pov should've been from the perspective of the bully. Also, make the bully relatable so that anyone who sees the commercial would easily connect with him (and not know he's a bully in advance). That way, upon the realization of the concequences of one's actions, anyone who sees the commercial would feel warned that his actions can hurt others.

The way it is though it really gives no idea of scale. Most younglings that see the commercial will detach themselves from the bullies and they won't think much about it. The rest will see how some commercial tells them that being bullied is horrible and how it inevitably leads to being hurt or dying. The commercial literally spells out how there's no other option and it says that because there's really no one else there other than those three characters. It's not like the other commercial where the events themselves inspire brotherly help in every viewer. This one inspires a feeling of tragedy and inevitable doom... unless a certain organisation saves you. It's also only possible to help others through that certain organisation. See, these commercials never tell the viewer how to help others or how to be resilient and stand for themselvs. They tell the viewer how to be a victim or call/join an institution so that collectively you'd eventually help yourself/people.