Shooting At Colorado TDKR Screening

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
DarkKnight23 wrote:America, like Batman, must RISE up and not give in to fear. SEE The Dark Knight Rises to honor the victims. Im sure they would want us to watch what im sure was there favorite movie franchise. We cant be like Foley and stay tucked away in our homes. Lets show that sick fuck, wana-be Joker... us Batman fans don't give in to fear. See the movie.
Saw it last night and I plan on seeing it again. And I hope a percentage DVD/Blu-Ray sales of the film is given to a charity.

Red Hood wrote:
DarkKnight23 wrote:America, like Batman, must RISE up and not give in to fear. SEE The Dark Knight Rises to honor the victims. Im sure they would want us to watch what im sure was there favorite movie franchise. We cant be like Foley and stay tucked away in our homes. Lets show that sick fuck, wana-be Joker... us Batman fans don't give in to fear. See the movie.
Saw it last night and I plan on seeing it again. And I hope a percentage DVD/Blu-Ray sales of the film is given to a charity.
Great idea

Master Virgo wrote:
prince0gotham wrote:The point isn't to facepalm someone about how he doesn't pay as much attention to how people are dying in another part of the world. It's to analyse what's wrong with the media, how people create media, how people react to media, how that reaction then governs what's required from it and so on and so on. Go ahead and blame hypocrites for being hypocrites instead of blaming the monster and environment that they'er a victim to one way or another.

Once out in the media one just can't not take a thing like this seriously. Which is why this probably shouldn't have gone worldwide-public in the first place.
This is not about the media, this is about people. Let's face it, people can prevent a lot of deaths by donating and helping others who are suffering from hunger and sickness. Do you know why they don't? It's simple, they don't care. It's not even about not having enough money or cruelty towards others. They simply don't want to know.

So when I see one of them saying I'm so sorry for someone who just died and I didn't even know him, I just say: Nonsense, it's just you trying to make yourself feel good. Nothing more.

DoctorDonna wrote:There is a difference between what happened in that movie theater and people dying in Africa. If you say that people die everyday in Africa, it becomes a statistic. Don't get me wrong that is still tragic, but we know its going to happen.
So you mean if from now on everyday several people get shot and die in movie theaters by a different psychos, it becomes normal and we should stop caring about it as much as we do now? :eh:
And the truth is, this event is important because nobody there should have died that day.
None of the 500 African kids who just died in the last 30 minutes that we were talking should have either. But they did, because other people decided they should.
Why are you posting this shit? Nobody cares what you have to say when you force out off-topic subjects just so you can be heard. Quit crying for attention, that's all are you posts are doing.

I could reference Joker's line about the "little mayor" ...

People dying in Africa is in a way "part of the plan" as in those actions are not a surprise to many. They are expected.

Getting shot in the face while watching Scooby-Doo at your local theater is a surprise and an unexpected horrid event.

PowerDump wrote:Why are you posting this shit? Nobody cares what you have to say when you force out off-topic subjects just so you can be heard. Quit crying for attention, that's all are you posts are doing.
You don't have to respond when you don't care. I was arguing with people who did care enough to respond to my posts. And it's not off topic. I'm talking about how many events more horrible than this that are happening without getting half attention this one is getting.

Its one man with a gun who wanted to kill people. My heart goes out to these people because it could have been any of us there. Lets not make this ruin the future of the movie. :(
Brave New World

Master Virgo wrote:
PowerDump wrote:Why are you posting this shit? Nobody cares what you have to say when you force out off-topic subjects just so you can be heard. Quit crying for attention, that's all are you posts are doing.
You don't have to respond when you don't care. I was arguing with people who did care enough to respond to my posts. And it's not off topic. I'm talking about how many events more horrible than this that are happening without getting half attention this one is getting.
Dying children in Africa is a major and horrible event, but it is pretty much expected. The theater massacre was totally uncalled for and horrible. I would rather die of hunger than get shot watching a film I waited nearly a year for.

Yesterday I was feeling down because of this, but after I went and saw TDKR again I felt completely better. This film seriously can cheer you up. I think everyone should still go and see it.

xWhereAmI? wrote:Yesterday I was feeling down because of this, but after I went and saw TDKR again I felt completely better. This film seriously can cheer you up. I think everyone should still go and see it.
Yes. At select scenes, I grew a very, very big smile.

This is not about the media, this is about people.
You don't get it. It IS about the media. Everything's about the media. Did you see the video I posted? Are you ignorrant about the extent to which media governs hyperreality, which then governs internet (as a part of the media), which then governs people's views and understandings and also motives and interests? People react to whatever's given to them, most of the times even exponentially like in this case.

Everyone knows about this incident for several reasons:

1. Everyone knows about TDKR. Why? Because of media.
2. Because it was immedeately and of course inevitably seen as just the new thing every media source was supposed to inform about for days and probably weeks. Media.
3. Everyone can relate to going to a cinema because everyone does so. Why? Because everyone loves movies. Movies are something of a medium. Similarly I gave an example about the lion and you missed that. You can't compare the state of shock about death in Africa with the state of shock of date put into every-day-context. Circumstance really IS a big part of any reaction. Similarly you're inevitably going to be way more fearful of the sudden realization about whether your life is in danger than you ever will be if you find out someone else is. Let alone in Africa. So you can't judge that like that. All that is another reason why you're bollocks about people expressing shock on this topic just to make themselves feel better. No, everyone's actually genuinely (even if selfishly) afraid that he might go to a screening and get his head blown off. SO you're wrong about that too.

It's all about media. You can't blame everyone for not being completely conscious when it comes to reaction to media. I mean ofc you can, but then you can't say "it's not about the media" when it's clearly all about the media. Even when KONY happened it was all about the media and not about "oh, it seems people are starting to care about children in Africa!!!".
So you mean if from now on everyday several people get shot and die in movie theaters by different psychos, it becomes normal and we should stop caring about it as much as we do now?
Socially and psychologically speaking - yes. If cinemas start becomming associated with shootouts and terrorist attacks people will eventually get used to that fact and will probably stop going to the cinemas. Then they'll have nothing to fear. He wasn't even saying that the circumstance of recurrence makes death better than it is or something that one should accept. He's saying that it's just natural for the human brain to get accustomed to the thought and not react to it on a biochemical level. Also, most of the reasons why people care about death in Africa or anywhere is tied to the fact of how peopl are (again) selfish (even though it's completely natural and instinctive for them to be so) because a considerable amount of shock and sympathy comes out of the act of one putting himself into another man's shoes. So you got that too.
None of the 500 African kids who just died in the last 30 minutes that we were talking should have either. But they did, because other people decided they should.
You're missing the point again. The Africa context suggests a lot of people dying. The "Going to the cinema" context doesn't.