Can somebody explain the Tom Hardy phenomenon to me?

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
This coming from the person who gave This Means War on par with Alien because Hardy was in the film.

SilverHeart wrote:This coming from the person who gave This Means War on par with Alien because Hardy was in the film.
what does that have to do with
Nick Nolte
Gary Oldman
Jessica Chastain
Guy Pearce
etc ?

you're avengers worship thread is sinking, i think you need to bump it again so you can keep talking to yourself in it

mchekhov wrote:
Tourmie wrote:
And they're wrong. Tarantino is a genius and I love him, but I don't agree with many of his choices for "best films". Same with actors. I think Pearce's early breakthrough in L.A. Confidential or Penn in Fast Times easily better than anything Hardy has done, so their opinions about his talent hold little value to me.

the problem with that argument, is that just about every actor in the industry considers Tom Hardy to be the top actor right now....so you end up not respecting anybody's opinion at all then...you're left with your own opinion, so then what is the point of asking OTHERS what the hype about him is? You got your mind made up not to like him for whatever reasons (that i doubt are legitimate at all) and its pointless for you to ask this question.
Well, you could go about it by actually impressionistically evaluating a performance or a scene or something. Simply saying "Streep thinks he's the greatest!" doesn't really pass for argument. Am I really supposed to change my opinion just by hearing an actor I respect praise him, even if that testimony doesn't mesh with my own experience of Hardy's acting?

Tourmie wrote:
mchekhov wrote:

the problem with that argument, is that just about every actor in the industry considers Tom Hardy to be the top actor right now....so you end up not respecting anybody's opinion at all then...you're left with your own opinion, so then what is the point of asking OTHERS what the hype about him is? You got your mind made up not to like him for whatever reasons (that i doubt are legitimate at all) and its pointless for you to ask this question.
Well, you could go about it by actually impressionistically evaluating a performance or a scene or something. Simply saying "Streep thinks he's the greatest!" doesn't really pass for argument. Am I really supposed to change my opinion just by hearing an actor I respect praise him, even if that testimony doesn't mesh with my own experience of Hardy's acting?
nobody can go intside your eyes and head and point out the things you're missing...youre just simply blind to them, and nobody has the ability to open your eyes, we're not psychics. All of the things that make Hardy an amazing actor have been mentioned on here countless amounts of times, so I don't think its an issue of having to "impressionistically evaluate" anything for you. I was offering those cosignments as a testament that other people see it...people in the industry, respected professionals, who themselves are highly praised actors.

Tourmie, if your not a fan of Hardy, that's okay. No one is forcing you to jump on the bandwagon. It's okay.

But just remember this, Tom Hardy maybe watching you.
"It doesn't matter how you get knocked down in life because that's going to happen. All that matters is you gotta get up."

Since he had to come here and ask about Tom Hardy, it should says enough about how little bad word of mouth Tom gets overall in general: Basically zero. And here everyone are fanboys so not really the ideal place to ask either :P

nowseed wrote:It's simply agree to disagree here.
Nope. Never on nolanfans. And especially not with talli..

Cerealkiller wrote:
nowseed wrote:It's simply agree to disagree here.
Nope. Never on nolanfans. And especially not with talli..

what are you talking about...its mostly people who disagree with me that get upset..which is comlete reverse

Just because you and the world in here has an opinion does not make it a fact.

Tourmie wrote:Tarantino is a genius
:lol: