True Detective (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:It's a widespread criticism of Season 2, on the forum and like, on the entire internet, that the characters are too pitch black, that the plot is to unwieldily nihilistic, that everyone's a corrupt asshole and mired in bickering bureaucracy, and that it's all shades of black and as a result isn't dynamic whatsoever.

Maybe it's flawed, and maybe it's uneven, since it's definitely both of those things, but I also think this is a frankly bizarre criticism. Film noir is defined by amoral selfish shits trying to be the best killer or the best crook. Season 2 borrows from film noir more than, perhaps, any other single 'genre', so it makes sense everyone's a shade of asshole.

The problems are elsewhere.

-Vader
Where are the problems according to you Vader? Just wondering :)

@Vader, Gotcha.

But that's the thing - some people aren't into it precisely because everyone is pitch black, or corrupted, or depressed; they see it as something unappealing compared to what they liked, or loved, last year.

That's one of my main problems with Hannibal, for example... that series is gorgeous to look at, has an amazing cast, top quality candy, and yet I can't love it because of the reasons stated above. Just one focal point can either win you or not.

At least with True Detective the killings and the corruptness of soul are more leveled with what is really out there so even if I have problems with Hannibal, I have much less with TD. And like I said previously, you're in a book store, you're picking things from the pile, two novels from the same author doesn't mean both will hit the mark... and I don't see this type of story attracting too many viewers.

Finally watched the episode. Current ranking:
1) Episode 2
2) Episode 1
3) Episode 3
My favorite parts were mayor's house and the chase.

I think people are exaggerating and I think I know what could be the real reason why they are questioning the show.

The characters in this show are not darker than the ones in the first season. They have a troubled past that impacted their present. They are damaged people that still aim for the light. If I were to make a comparison just to feed into this argument I'd say Rust Cohle was a far darker character than any of these guys.... and Hart would fit perfectly this season.

The difference is the first season had a story that revolved around 2 characters instead of 4 (3 detectives + Vaughn). This allowed for a more intimate approach which led to people getting closer to the likes of Cohle and Hart because they would have a lot more time to develop and emotional connection with them.

Maybe it's not the darkness of the characters that bothers people but the abundance of characters that they have to watch in a show that was designed around intimacy. Season 2 doesn't feel intimate. It feels that you're watching True Detective through a glass. The irony here is that's exactly what we're doing. Which leads to the fact that people are more frustrated with this season because they realize they're just watching a season of a TV show. There's a ruff barrier now between the audience and the show's characters.

The thing is I have no idea if kicking intimacy in the ass is something that was intended or they just went a bit too ham with the second season and lost track of it. As it stands the show is great... but only if you're not expecting the same level of intimacy.
Last edited by RIFA on July 6th, 2015, 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This episode had lighter moments, like in the mansion and in the police station.

It's also the first 3 episodes and shit is about to pick up in episode 4 and 5 just like last season.

RIFA I think you hit the nail right in the head.

Sky007 wrote:The opening scene felt straight out Lynch's own mind. I actually had to rewind it and applaud because it was like Twin Peaks reincarnated.
:shock: I had the exact opposite reaction. This season has been as generic and bland as its title

Wasn't fan of the intro either.

There were couple of lines that felt like unnecessary exposition, or just unnecessary.
-Ani (to herself): 'soundproof material'
-Velcoro (to himself): 'I pissed myself' only to hear 'it smells like piss here' from her shortly after
-Velcoro mentions the type of bullets, says they're rubber, but then also explains they're used for riots... to a cop
-Semyon-Velcoro exchange: 'I'm apoplectic. I'm feeling a little apoplectic myself.' - gtfo
-Every time Semyon says something in Latin, or something that's supposed to sound deep or self-reflective I cringe, cause I don't believe he's the intellectual type, I don't see his brain tick behind those eyes. As for the golden tooth fairy fight? Staged fight, zero tension beforehand.
-Father mentioning Kirk Douglas on TV; we know it's him, let the reference speak for itself

Strident :lol:

m4st4 wrote:Wasn't fan of the intro either.

There were couple of lines that felt like unnecessary exposition, or just unnecessary.
-Ani (to herself): 'soundproof material'
-Velcoro (to himself): 'I pissed myself' only to hear 'it smells like piss here' from her shortly after
-Velcoro mentions the type of bullets, says they're rubber, but then also explains they're used for riots... to a cop
-Semyon-Velcoro exchange: 'I'm apoplectic. I'm feeling a little apoplectic myself.' - gtfo
-Every time Semyon says something in Latin, or something that's supposed to sound deep or self-reflective I cringe, cause I don't believe he's the intellectual type, I don't see his brain tick behind those eyes. As for the golden tooth fairy fight? Staged fight, zero tension beforehand.
-Father mentioning Kirk Douglas on TV; we know it's him, let the reference speak for itself
Riiiight, cuz u know, we dont think outloud sometimes. I probably would have said "ahh fuck i pissed myself" in that situation too. Someone mentioning Kirk Douglas? Talk about nitpicking. A few of your other ones are fair but come on.