True Detective (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:What separates good performances from bad or just okay ones is how comfortable actors are with stylized dialogue. McC was flawless at finding his own weird rhythms for it, and Farrell (and McAdams in second) fairs better than the rest of the cast. Vaughn chews on it like a rough steak, and can't really deliver many of the lines—like the opening—all that compellingly. It's consistently "fine", even if I like his physical performance. Abigail Spencer's part (the one you mention) is the same idea—she has a lot of stylized dialogue, but she plays it super emotional and straight. It doesn't totally work. Maybe this is a combination of shortcomings on the part of the cast and Lin's inability to direct them gracefully. He doesn't exactly have a track record of extracting great performances, so...

-Vader
It's going to be interesting now that Lin is done with the show. All new directors from this point forward.
Last edited by shauner111 on June 29th, 2015, 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vader182 wrote:
Allstar wrote:Thought the actress who played Colin's ex was weak. Maybe it was that Farrell was so good in the scene though.
What separates good performances from bad or just okay ones is how comfortable actors are with stylized dialogue. McC was flawless at finding his own weird rhythms for it, and Farrell (and McAdams in second) fairs better than the rest of the cast. Vaughn chews on it like a rough steak, and can't really deliver many of the lines—like the opening—all that compellingly. It's consistently "fine", even if I like his physical performance. Abigail Spencer's part (the one you mention) is the same idea—she has a lot of stylized dialogue, but she plays it super emotional and straight. It doesn't totally work. Maybe this is a combination of shortcomings on the part of the cast and Lin's inability to direct them gracefully. He doesn't exactly have a track record of extracting great performances, so...

-Vader
Farrell and McAdams are without a doubt the highlights thus far and I'm a Vaughn apologist. The car scene was fantastic.

I'm loving this season so far, especially this second episode (first wasn't quite as strong, but still necessary). I think the biggest problem was people expecting things from Pizzolatto based solely on season 1 of the show and not his other works. Reading Galveston and Between Here and the Yellow Sea, you begin to understand what he prioritizes and what he does not, and I think it more properly sets your expectations.

Anyway, as with everything he's written, I'm enjoying the character work in S2. I think the biggest problem with the first episode is that, as a novelist, he's used to injecting characterization through internal monologue (both Galveston and Between Here and the Yellow Sea are told from an internal perspective, for instance), and thus with his main characters being apart from each other, there weren't enough moments in which their internal idiosyncrasies were probed by external circumstances.

I'm not a fan of the season 1 comparisons because I think they're inherently limiting, but to indulge them for a moment on this train of thought, I think the frame narrative interview structure of the first season more easily allowed Pizzolatto to make the jump from the novel to television because Cohle and Hart could narrate their past experiences and color them with audio that served as an internal monologue. I think it's also why there are those people who don't like the last few episode because the interviews were cut short due to narrative considerations, and thus we were shut off from Rust and Marty's direct thoughts. All of this is to simply say that season 2 is lacking this convention, and as a result Pizzolatto is attempting a less convenient way of characterization that I think will ultimately pay off, albeit at a slower pace. One final note is that most would agree that the second best way in which Pizzolatto provided characterization in the first season was through the back and forth between Cohle and Hart, in a more typical "buddy cop" sense, in which their differences allowed a deep probing of their beliefs and outlooks.

The point of all that rambling is that I think season 2 initially had a harder time connecting us with the characters because it stripped itself of both of these storytelling conventions in the first episode: no narrating and no probing banter between main characters. I think the second episode is more successful (for me, at least) because the characters are finally allowed to interact and it feels more organic on account of it being less beholden to the case.

TL;DR: I liked the second episode a lot.
Last edited by o SHAKESPEARE o on June 29th, 2015, 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Allstar wrote: Farrell and McAdams are without a doubt the highlights thus far

Do we know directors for the next six episodes?

m4st4 wrote:Do we know directors for the next six episodes?
According to imdb:

Janus Metz Pedersen - ep 3
Miguel Sapochnik - ep 6
Daniel Attias - ep7

JohnConstantine wrote:
m4st4 wrote:Do we know directors for the next six episodes?
According to imdb:

Miguel Sapochnik - ep 6
Daniel Attias - ep7
I'm very curious if any other celebrity directors will pop up. Doubt it, but.

-Vader

Pizz does it again!
The four beasts of the apocalypse

Oh and check that book in the back - Araki is a photographer who specializes in some rather "kinky" stuff. Google it, just know it's definitely NSFW.
Also
Last edited by ChristNolan on June 29th, 2015, 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vader182 wrote:
JohnConstantine wrote: According to imdb:

Miguel Sapochnik - ep 6
Daniel Attias - ep7
I'm very curious if any other celebrity directors will pop up. Doubt it, but.

-Vader
Sapochnik and more so Attias seem like solid TV directors. Plus they worked with HBO before.

Pedersen has little to no experience in movies or TV, aside from documentary work.
Last edited by JohnConstantine on June 29th, 2015, 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChristNolan wrote:Pizz does it again!
The four beasts of the apocalypse

Oh and check that book in the back - Araki is a photographer who specializes in some rather "kinky" stuff. Google it, just know it's definitely NSFW.
Also
It wouldn't surprise me if
Rick Springfield is the killer. His ties and/or knowledge of Elliot Bezzerides (that weird shit) will play into it. His connection to Casper. He just seemed off. Now that painting.