Asian movies - official thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Asian Movies catalogue - featured movies from South-East Asia (Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Hong Kong, Thai), featuring short descriptions, reviews, cast - everything you like, need or want to watch - Right here, right now! 8-)

I'll start with this classic one-take sequence from Park Chan Wook's Oldboy:

Dae-su Oh: If they had told me it was going to be fifteen years, would it have been easier to endure?
IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364569/

You are next! ;)

Oldboy really is one of the best films ever made. Superb in every aspect.

Oldboy is one of the most overrated films of the decade. The hallway scene is always being pumped up as a striking example of a realistic take on a fight, yet it's so blatantly contrived. Dae-su is the only person in the scene who doesn't avoid making hits, which is total bullsh*t.

Oldboy is just a good film.Nothing more.Impressive on a technical level but absolutely wortless on a story/character level.
Last edited by Mr. Caine on May 3rd, 2012, 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

I Saw The Devil is excellent.
"All this 'good vs evil' shit's been played out. It's now time for 'BAD VS. EVIL'

-David Ayer on Suicide Squad.

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is my favourite

nowseed wrote:
Mr. Caine wrote:Oldboy is just a good film.Nothing more.Impressive on a tehcinal level but absolutely wortless on a story/character level.
I have studied the movie. I wrote a paper about it. I have watched it 4-5 times. And your statement can't be more far from the truth. You say is worthless on a story/character level.....based on what? I would like you to develop your opinion.

It's easy to destroy a movie with a simple phrase, but it's so incredibly difficult to actually defend that statement with an accurate explanation. I encourage you to do it ;)
Well I saw that film maybe two years ago and since I didn't liked it I don't think I can go into specifics :lol: I do remember that I admired cinematography,score and things like that but in story and characters there wasn't anything for me to connect to.So yeah when you fail to establish an emotional connection to the film it is really hard to try and give another viewing/analyse themes and all that.Typicial asian batshit insane over the top acting and bad dubbing didn't really helped my case either :lol:

I would also really appreciated if someone revealed to me where the oldboy's story brilliance is.

I haven't seen Oldboy yet, but I need to. A friend got me into a lot of foreign flicks. My favorites are Red Cliff, IP Man, Hero, Warlords, etc...and I just saw The Raid : Redemption over the weekend, and that movie is fucking badass.

Used to watch a lot of Jackie Chan (Police Story is so fucking good, Operation Condor, First Strike, Rumble In The Bronx, etc...) and Bruce Lee (Game Of Death, Chinese Connection, etc...)

nowseed wrote:Already one of my favourite threads 8-)

OldBoy is a masterpiece and one of my favourite movies of all time. Chan-wook is next to Fincher as my second fave directors (in first place: Woody Allen and Chris Nolan).

I love Korean cinema, and specially the works by Chan-wook, Kim Jee-won and Bong Joon-ho. Memories of Murder, The Host, Mother, I Saw The Devil, Joint Security Area, Thirst.......so many amazing films :-D

I'll be around regularly, uploading some photos/videos of these fantastic movies. With any luck, more people will give a shot to Korean cinema, right now one of the best in the world :-D
Glad you like it nowseed, now all we need is post some more! I'll make my list of favorites, Takashi Miike incoming and then, we'll see...

My Asian film repertoire is unfortunately somewhat limited but I hope to expand and watch more soon!

Oldboy is the prime example of an effective and efficient thriller! A masterpiece in every sense of the word! I also adore I Saw the Devil and the Good the Bad and the Weird and think Jee-woon Kim's ability to transcend genres while maintaining the atmosphere and tone of classic films is spectacular.

I recently wrote a term paper on Joon-ho Bong's Mother--a film that through confident direction, intense-yet-subtle performances, skillful lighting and stunning cinematography infuses an impressive thriller with elements of moral and psychological commentary.