Death Note (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Meh. I'm currently watching the anime and that has some stylish animation and some witty dialogue but I always had a problem with the conceit that we're supposed to care about this asshole who thinks he knows philosophy and considers himself a god, just because he randomly picked up that book. Narcissism at its finest but not really relatable.

Batfan175 wrote:Meh. I'm currently watching the anime and that has some stylish animation and some witty dialogue but I always had a problem with the conceit that we're supposed to care about this asshole who thinks he knows philosophy and considers himself a god, just because he randomly picked up that book. Narcissism at its finest but not really relatable.
what are you talking about lol

I have the same feeling about the footage of American Gods. It could work, but it just as well couldn't.

Batfan175 wrote:Meh. I'm currently watching the anime and that has some stylish animation and some witty dialogue but I always had a problem with the conceit that we're supposed to care about this asshole who thinks he knows philosophy and considers himself a god, just because he randomly picked up that book. Narcissism at its finest but not really relatable.
But Death Note never picks Light's side nor expects you to sympathize with him. A story doesn't need a relatable protagonist, just an interesting one and Light, for all it's faults, was pretty original and well executed, if only because of how methodical yet unpredictable his obsessed mind is.

Keep in mind, I'm still skeptical about this adaptation. Looks better than I expected it to be but I still can't say it looks good.

didich wrote:
But Death Note never picks Light's side nor expects you to sympathize with him. A story doesn't need a relatable protagonist, just an interesting one and Light, for all it's faults, was pretty original and well executed, if only because of how methodical yet unpredictable his obsessed mind is.

Keep in mind, I'm still skeptical about this adaptation. Looks better than I expected it to be but I still can't say it looks good.
I agree that I would not need a relatable protagonist necessarily. It's probably just the group of authoritarians within the fandom that try to justify everything he does that bugs me (actually he does a lot of awful things just so he doesn't get caught). It was the same thing with "Team Walt" for Breaking Bad: that character could do no wrong in the eyes of these fans and every other character in their mind was wrong to criticise him for being a sleazy scumbag and oh isn't he just misunderstood by the world and how miserable he is that he "has" to do all this because of his family. Except neither Light nor Walter White have to do anything. If they wanted to, they could just decide to watch paint dry for the rest of their lives...but they don't.

Dafoe

Confession time:
I hated the protagonist of Deathnote so much that I almost couldn't stand finishing the story. And that finale... One time where I'd prefer the good side would've won in fiction.

Just saw the trailer and was to cringy. People need to unterstand movies based on japanese HQs will probably never work. The manga/anime of DN was good, but the translation to a movie will always suck.

“A Netflix Film”

........................... :facepalm:

Michaelf2225 wrote:“A Netflix Film”

........................... :facepalm:
A lot of movies based on mangas sucked int he past. I got traumatized watching Dragon Ball Evolution. There is also a movie of Fullmetal Alchemist coming and I have a bad hunch about it, the manga was a amsterpiece I hope they don't ruin the good impression I got from the manga.