Foxcatcher (2014)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
celibate wrote:Lmao.and another one. Sneaky. Now the push back makes all the sense.
it's crazy how all these good movies are coming out during awards season

1. I understand him being upset at an inaccurate portrayal of himself but it's not a documentary and if they made the true story it probably wouldn't be as interesting.

2. Something could be wrong with this guy. He literally called Bennett Miller a genius in this interview.

Yeah, wasn't he just praising the film for it's accuracy?

I guess it sounds like he didn't like how critics interpreted the portrayal of his character in the film, along with how audiences interpreted the nature of his relationship with DuPont.

I just had this film spoiled for me.

Shit.

CoolwhipSpecial wrote:I just had this film spoiled for me.

Shit.
It's real life, so...

ArmandFancypants wrote:

Shit.
It's real life, so...
Yeah, but how many people know this story?

Forum Pro
Law
CoolwhipSpecial wrote:
ArmandFancypants wrote:

Shit.
It's real life, so...
Yeah, but how many people know this story?
I went into it not knowing the ending and it completely blew me away

Foxcatcher
★★★★

It is a rather unsettling experience to sit through this film, and any instance where a gun goes off or someone yells is bound to make you jump, depending on how invested you are in the film. It makes for a nice companion to Whiplash, but I think it's broader in ideas and morals, yet doesn't necessarily match up to that film in terms of execution. It is actually a very tragic story of ambition, and due to it's unsettling tone, it's already become the stuff of mockery, with not a lot of people taking the tone very seriously. But while I don't think it's a film I'm in a hurry to see again any time soon, I can see it being improved upon on second viewing.

I hated this film. It's not even Miller's indulgent directing. Yes i had a very wrong idea what this movie was about (although i had heard something about this tragedy) , mostly because i thought Du Pont was a real coach and so the film would be more or less developed around his coaching interactions , yada yada yada. Still being different than expected is not bad. I have simply a very hard time understanding his character , especially because in this movie he mostly gazes and looks up. I suppose him being such a disturbed person he wasn't a easy book to read. Yet the film revolves so much around him that it feels detrimental to the story how criptic he is.

The best thing here is obviously the brothers relationship , sadly the final part of the movie is a sledgehammer straight to the head of the audience. It's too brutal but it feels so empty. I know it happened like this , yet it doesnt make a good , interesting or compelling story. I was simply pissed.